• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gay character in "Beauty and The Beast"

Due to the gay character in "Beauty and The Beast", will you still take your kids to see the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 59 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I'm on the fence.

Votes: 6 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at it as not a change in a storyline, but as filling out the character of LeFou. It answers some questions about why he likes to hang around wit Gaston and his friends, even though they treat him poorly. I had this discussion with a friend of mine who has a little daughter. He is the kind that hate when any company remakes a movie and changes a lot of the plot...like he hated Dukes of Hazzard, and Brady Bunch because they made them silly. When I explained that, if it is done right, it can give more dimension for the character of LeFou, him him connect with the audience a bit, then he agreed. Of course, he and his wife planned to take his daughter anyway.

I look at it as not a change in a storyline, but as filling out the character of LeFou. It answers some questions about why he likes to hang around wit Gaston and his friends, even though they treat him poorly. I had this discussion with a friend of mine who has a little daughter. He is the kind that hate when any company remakes a movie and changes a lot of the plot...like he hated Dukes of Hazzard, and Brady Bunch because they made them silly. When I explained that, if it is done right, it can give more dimension for the character of LeFou, him him connect with the audience a bit, then he agreed. Of course, he and his wife planned to take his daughter anyway.

I don't see that as a gay thing though. There are plenty of straight people who act like that. I don't see portraying him as gay necessary for the fulfillment of that role. Though perhaps gay is more straight forward than unidentifiable emotional baggage.

Do kids not just know gay people, like any other people? Parents' friends/friends' parents? Couldn't imagine the issue.

Does anyone know what the scene is that is causing the controversy? Is it just La Fou being flamboyant or does he kiss Gaston or something?

I see as of now 5 people voted "no" but surprisingly no comments representing their views. HMMMMM maybe don't want to answer to the rest of the dis about their backwards views?
HMMM. Maybe they don't want to be judged.
C'mon guys can we stop with the stirring the pot and being rude about those that voted no. Respect needs to go both ways. No one is on here demanding why people voted yes, so let's extend the same courtesy.
Exactly.

I didn't vote. My "child" is 21. He sees the movies he wants to see. He probably won't see this one, but he doesn't watch many Disney movies that aren't Star Wars.

Nowhere did I state that this clip was THE clip where it happens. I merely said I found that clip and after watching, made my observation.

This thread is a great one for putting words in people's mouths and being rude and sarcastic with no repercussions.

Sorry but that is how it came off because you said "I found the clip of Gaston's song and I gotta say it doesn't seem hidden agenda, sending a message to me." I was pointing out that was not the clip where it was suppose to happen so how would we know how the gay moment comes off. You seem to be the one that thinks everyone is against you. I was simply saying that clip won't show up much about that subplot.

Side note I don't personally thing it would be a hidden agenda/sending message no matter how it is presented because beig gay doesn't have an agenda.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the scene is that is causing the controversy? Is it just La Fou being flamboyant or does he kiss Gaston or something?

It's not released...this is all Disney is saying so far (from WashPo and the director)...
“LeFou is somebody who on one day wants to be Gaston and on another day wants to kiss Gaston,” director Bill Condon told the magazine. “He’s confused about what he wants. It’s somebody who’s just realizing that he has these feelings. And Josh makes something really subtle and delicious out of it. And that’s what has its payoff at the end, which I don’t want to give away. But it is a nice, exclusively gay moment in a Disney movie.”

I'm betting it will be at a minimum a full lip lock...

Well, I actually am refunding our 6 tickets. Why? Because it's like the last nail in the coffin. I'm already not big on remakes (I did not watch any of the 2016 Disney ones, Jungle Book or BFG - I only did Zootopia and Moana), and I was already worried this movie could not live up to either its animated or stage glory (I've seen this in London on stage with amazing singers and committed live-action actors, and the previews aren't quite living up to the stage version - they are good, but not as great as that was). While I don't mind making the LeFou character gay, giving him a "gay payoff" seems like a movie change that makes no sense. Now, I could be wrong, but I assume the payoff will come with Gaston. But, Gaston never, ever, ever seemed like anything but a man fixated on Belle, so for LeFou to have a chance at Gaston is too much a change of the original story (and one which I think actually takes away from the story) for no good reason except to "say we did." Maybe it will end up making more sense and the movie will be better than I'm thinking...but since I have 6 opening weekend tickets on a Saturday night on March Madness weekend (and those are not cheap), I think I can wait for my discount theater or Netflix to see if they did pull off something comparable to the other versions...I've waited for other movies, so what's one more...

Matthew 7:1

Whats the gist of that..? I did a quick google search but it doesn't make sense to me - seems like its saying god's gifts are better than evils but I don't get the context in relation to this topic?

I don't see that as a gay thing though. There are plenty of straight people who act like that. I don't see portraying him as gay necessary for the fulfillment of that role. Though perhaps gay is more straight forward than unidentifiable emotional baggage.

Lefou is kind of... touchy in the cartoon. I always figured he had a thing for Gaston personally. Sure following someone else around all the time could be indicative of some other underlying cause, but when you get touchy... eh, maybe its lazy writing. Or maybe the simplest explanation is indeed the best one. :)

Although I'm not one of the people who voted "no" it certainly seems intolerant and judgmental to criticize those with differing opinions & beliefs. We don't all have to think the same way!

Certainly not. Everyone can have their own opinion but as of 2015 LGBTQ has become a protected class and its a touchy subject. To what length can we be tolerant of intolerance? I'm not smart enough to know the answer here... all we can do is try to be kind to each other. FWIW I respect the choice to not take your kids to any movie if you are uncomfortable with it, same here as with anything.

Last edited:
Whats the gist of that..? I did a quick google search but it doesn't make sense to me - seems like its saying god's gifts are better than evils but I don't get the context in relation to this topic?

Matthew 7:1 is the verse that says Judge not lest ye be judged. (Different based in translation of course). So take that how you will in the conversation.

Lefou is kind of... touchy in the cartoon. I always figured he had a thing for Gaston personally. Sure following someone else around all the time could be indicative of some other underlying cause, but when you get touchy... eh, maybe its lazy writing. Or maybe the simplest explanation is indeed the best one. :)

Matthew 7:1---judge not that ye be not judged.

I voted no. It doesn't matter what year or century we are in, it will always be inappropriate to expose children to unsuitable and irrelevant sexual behavior. I like to think I have a better than average "gaydar"; but, it's not that good. I have been fooled, or the "gaydar" has been off enough to know you can never really tell if someone is gay unless they declare that they are homosexual. Furthermore, it really makes no difference whatsoever what the sexual habits of fictional character are not to mention the sexual orientation of a real person. I would be equally disturbed if this movie included a gratuitous sex scene with full frontal nudity with Belle or Gaston. The story is a fairy tail; I say let the kids (and myself) enjoy fantasy for 90 minutes to 2 hours without having to answer questions about why LeFou wants to try making babies with Gaston. If I wanted children to be exposed to real life I can let them watch the news. Shame on Disney for pulling this kinda stunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter