Getting close to Viva Italia - what did you forget?

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
So - here we are, just a week away from our Viva Italia trip. I'm dreadfully afraid of forgetting something - I've got my Euros and some traveler's checks, a money belt I know I won't wear because I hate it already, the correct plugs to charge our gadgets...

What I am going to forget? Did anyone bring bug repellent for Tuscany? Particularly good activities for the plane? All suggestions are welcome.

And in case any of you out there are going on the Aug. 14 trip, let me know - I've yet to find anyone else on the boards.

:flower3:

Have a great trip glassslipper2004!

We're not going until Sept but I have bug repellent on my list of things to pack!
Have you been checking the temps over there? You are in for some warm (hot) days!

As other posters have written, there are no washcloths so I also have purchased some J&J disposable washcloths. They are pre-soaped and have a mild fragrance of lavender.

Please let us know how your trip was and also if there was anything you didn't pack that you wished you had!

Thanks! Actually I just checked the temps for the first time today... I was putting it off, trying to wait until it got close enough to matter. And yes, it looks like high 80's will be the norm. But since the past few days in here lovely Massachusetts have been 65-75 and rainy, the heat won't be so bad!

Please post when you return, letting us know how it went. I just booked yesterday for Viva Italia for June. I've never been out of the United States, so this is a huge deal for us. Any tips/suggestions when you return would be appreciated! Have a great time!

We are leaving on the 25th for the Viva Italia tour on the 28th. So excited!!! I read on Trip Advisor that travelers checks are hard to cash now in Europe. I guess places that do it (Amex office is near the Spanish Steps) charge an arm and a leg. Credit cards (esp. Capitol One-no extra fees) and bank/debit cards are the best way to go. We are getting a few Euros before we go even though our banks (SunTrust) rate kind of stinks. It was 1.54 Euro to the dollar the other day (1.52 today) and they would charge $10 plus they mark up to 1.64-11 cents more per dollar. They also had a min of $200. Ugg. AAA is awful too. Not sure if we should just wait to hit a bank machine when we get there. I called my bank and my credit card company and told them the dates we would be traveling and where so they will not flag it. I also put all their numbers in my iPhone so I have them just in case they flag it anyway.

We have adapters and plugs (universal) borrowed from friends to charge our camera battery and phones. We got an extra battery and SD card for all the pictures. I bought a Pacsafe 100 bag on Campmore since it got high ratings form Rick Steves readers.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

Here is the one I got:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___67914

A money belt would drive me nuts too and this will hold my camera and iPhone.

We got a phone card from Sams club. I photocopied the maps I wanted from my Rick Steves books and then laminated them so I do not need to lug the book around if I do not want. (That is for our free days and time.) I am getting some No Jet Lag (all natural) from Whole Foods or Drugstore online. Lots of people swear by it. I figure it is natural it can't hurt to try it.

http://nojetlag.com/

I am jealous! I still have over a month to go! Have a GREAT time and let us all know how it was!

Based on everything I have read, ATM/Debit cards are the way to go. They provide the best exchange rate and least amount of fees.

I believe that I read somewhere on DISboards that travelers bought their bug spray in Italy. Remember if you purchase it in advance, you will need to comply with TSA requirements at the airport.

I will reiterate what PatriciaH said. Contact your banks and credit card companies and alert them that you are traveling. It would also be a good idea to carry photocopies of your cards and your passports. Rick Steves has some excellent suggestions. Check this out.

PatriciaH - I have an iPhone, but I am not bringing it. Have you read about the outrageous bills that people have received when using their iPhone internationally? If not, I would recommend checking these links out.

AT&T iPhone International Use

Apple Discussion

Yes, I plan on calling AT&T to have them disable Edge while we are in Europe. Then I will just use the phone if I can get WiFi. I really want to use the iPod and calendar. I also have all my addresses in there for postcards:)

So - here we are, just a week away from our Viva Italia trip. I'm dreadfully afraid of forgetting something - I've got my Euros and some traveler's checks, a money belt I know I won't wear because I hate it already, the correct plugs to charge our gadgets...

What I am going to forget? Did anyone bring bug repellent for Tuscany? Particularly good activities for the plane? All suggestions are welcome.

And in case any of you out there are going on the Aug. 14 trip, let me know - I've yet to find anyone else on the boards.

I have not been on this trip, but have been to Europe several times. I would suggest a roll or two of the travel toilet paper and seat covers available at Target and Walmart's travel size section. Not all restrooms in Europe have paper or seat covers. They both were life savers for us in Italy and Spain last year.

I brought travel toliet paper - and we used it - some public restrooms did not have paper. Bring bug spray - I packed it in my checked luggage. There were mosquitos there (just got back) but really not that bad. I did bring a money belt, but only used it at the airports when I know I'm easily distracted, but otherwise used the safes at the hotels and just brought enough cash for what I needed. Of all things to forget - I forgot a watch! I'm so used to using my cell phone as watch - I had to buy when in Rome. I did not end up buying a calling card. Marco said there wasn't much difference in phone rates, and I don't remember what it cost, but really wasn't a bad price to call home - the coke in the mini bar cost more than a phone call to the states. I would reccomend NOT bringing a flat iron if you use one. My hairstlylist warned me not to, but me thinking if I had a converter and adapter, I'd be fine. Not so, the thing started smoking and burning up - I had to throw it out. Also, I would not reccomend bringing travelers cheques - nobody accepts them anymore and someone in our group had a heck of a time exchanging them into euros. I had some money changed here before I left through my bank, and then used an atm when there (they are easily available everywhere).

I forgot to mention - it will be REALLY hot! When I checked the weather it said high 80's for everywhere we went. In actuality, it was more like 100 degrees every day in Rome (112 on 7/31) and 90's everywhere else. There is air in all the hotels - but the one in Venice was not cold - I think the public rooms - where we had our farewell dinner, and the lobby were not air-conditioned at all - and the room was only cool-ish there. Also be prepared that hardly any restaurants have air-conditioning, and if they do, it won't be like in the states - I was never anywhere with air (except my hotel rooms) where the temp was below 77 F. It was hot, hot hot! But worth it! Some folks brought hats and some brought umbrelllas, we all just sweated it out!

Bella - thanks for the info. I will try to find the travel toilet paper tomorrow, also someone suggested small packets of laundry detergent to do wash in the sink. I hadn't planned on doing wash, but if we are all so very sweaty, it might come in handy.

I already bought some traveler's checks, in Euro's, so maybe that will make them easier to exchange? Oh well.

I like it hot - but this sounds very, very hot. I imagine we'll get through it fine. Is the bus air conditioned?

My husband and I did Viva Italia June 19, and did not need bugspray in Tuscany or anywhere for that matter (though Aug may be different). Lots and lots of ATM's are available for funds.
Some suggestions: Did you remember to make a copy of your passports? Earplugs for the airplane OR a headset? A copy of your itinerary in each checked bag? I packed clothes for both of us in each bag and included an inventory list in each bag, which turned out to be a good idea since one of our bags didn't make it to Rome on the flight (though it came the next day and was retrieved by Tinkerbell per Marco&Vinnie). Camera batteries? It was very hot throughout our entire adventure in June, and I washed out blouses, etc. due to changing more often than I planned. Small travel sizes of laundry detergent MAY be helpful (considering weight and space). That is an item that you would not be concerned about packing for your return trip.

It's also a good idea to have every adult in the party carry the phone number of your travel insurance provider. In some cases, the insurance will not cover an expense unless you call their emergency number before seeking medical attention. (Of course, if it's an emergency you can call as soon as possible afterwards!)

If you purchased your insurance through AbD, the booklet should have been included in your original packet of information. If you need a .pdf copy of the booklet, just shoot me an email. I'd post a link, but I can't seem to find it on the site.

Dotti

Bella - thanks for the info. I will try to find the travel toilet paper tomorrow, also someone suggested small packets of laundry detergent to do wash in the sink. I hadn't planned on doing wash, but if we are all so very sweaty, it might come in handy.

I have a friend, who is an experienced world traveler, advise me to get 2 inflatable hangers and a small travel clothesline for drying laundry. She said the inflatable hangers allowed tops to dry overnight. Judy is a photographer and tends to pack light on the clothing side but heavy on the camera equipment ;)

I'm happy to report that the buses were nicely airconditioned - and came equipped with curtains to pull close if the sun gets too hot. I also wanted to mention that nobody in our group had anything "pickpocketed" or stolen - the place to be most cautious are the really crowded squares - by the Duomo in Florence was the most crowded. I never felt like I was in an "unsafe" area. We were also warned about beggers. While there were a couple, it was nothing like when we were in China - hardly worth mentioning. If you have younger children, you may wish to ask the guides on arrival where the nearest grocery store/convience shop is. All the rooms have refrigerators, and someone I was with would visit the grocery store upon arrival to the hotel and get drinks and a few snacks. Besides being cheaper than the mini-bar, you can get what snacks the kids really want, and it's always interesting to go to a grocery store in another country.

We aren't going for a few more weeks. But I take Ziploc bags on every trip. I bring a few sizes. They are great for damp bathing suits and clothes. They came in really handy if a toiletry has a slight leak. And they are handy for down-sizing snacks. I find all kinds of uses for them.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I finally found my little travel clock today, and am busy packing up the clean laundry. Unlike my kids I don't have an endless supply of casual tops, so I am bringing laundry detergent to do a quick wash of sweaty clothes along the way. And I'm bringing a big collapsable duffel, to bring home any extra purchases!

Do most people bring several memory cards for their digital cameras? I would worry about running out of space. Or is there some gadget you can get to take pictures off your camera before getting home to put them on your computer? I'm not very savvy when it comes to that, so any suggestions, or is a large memory card enough? I read someone's post and they took around 1,300 pictures!!!

Do most people bring several memory cards for their digital cameras? I would worry about running out of space. Or is there some gadget you can get to take pictures off your camera before getting home to put them on your computer? I'm not very savvy when it comes to that, so any suggestions, or is a large memory card enough? I read someone's post and they took around 1,300 pictures!!!

I'm packing an extra card since I won't be taking the laptop to download pictures when the card gets full. I'm also taking along an extra battery. They do make gadgets like you described but I've never investigated them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter