Getting Halloween Decorations Cancelled for Entire Class?

What should teacher do?

• Switch to autumn decorations only

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Keep up whatever decorations are in the classroom

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
My kids are 22 and older. They never had Halloween parties in public school, maybe a fall party, but never Halloween.

There's a Trunk 'n Treat at every church and neighborhood. So those who want to celebrate have numerous opportunities throughout the month.

I am troubled that the vocal minority can have so much influence in public school these days, though. Slippery slope on many levels.

But I will say no religious beliefs should ever be forced onto someone. Period.
Now THAT I can get behind.

My tax dollars go towards abortion and plan parenthood. I feel religious people should have an exemption paying for it,
If we accept the fact that religion and the state should not mix, then this should not be an issue for you. If the state is by default, irreligious, then taxpayer funded abortion is perfectly fine for those who want one. If you have a problem with abortion, then don't get one.

You are correct though, we will simply have to agree to disagree.

I had to deal with this a little when I was involved in PTA for my DD's (14) elementary school. Most parents who did not observe the holidays were great, and understood that they were the minority. They were willing to work with the teachers, and pulled their kids during class parties, which were always scheduled for the last hour of the school day. We did keep the decorations around the school more on a seasonal look then specific holiday, which was required by the school district. At PTA events we were able to add some of the Holiday things since it was and optional event.

I always felt bad for the little boy in my daughters class who was not allowed to attend the Halloween party, the Christmas party nor the Valentines party. I understood the parents decision, but always felt he was left out of things.

My kids are in their 30's and there was no Halloween in their schools. All decor was Fall based, Fall Festival. Halloween you dressed up as a book character, brought the book and paraded. Even all the staff dressed up.

We are a HUGE Halloween house, and it never bothered me how it was handled at school.

I voted other because the teacher will have to do whatever ADMIN says, and that likely will go for the WHOLE school so ... fun. 🎃

Last edited:
I had to deal with this a little when I was involved in PTA for my DD's (14) elementary school. Most parents who did not observe the holidays were great, and understood that they were the minority. They were willing to work with the teachers, and pulled their kids during class parties, which were always scheduled for the last hour of the school day. We did keep the decorations around the school more on a seasonal look then specific holiday, which was required by the school district. At PTA events we were able to add some of the Holiday things since it was and optional event.

I always felt bad for the little boy in my daughters class who was not allowed to attend the Halloween party, the Christmas party nor the Valentines party. I understood the parents decision, but always felt he was left out of things.
Poor kid. I'll never forget the time in elementary school when we had a new student from India. In November when we were making turkeys and other related ephemera, he raised his hand and asked "what's a thanksgiving?"

Good old Rajeesh.

Now THAT I can get behind.
That is part of my faith. Look it up if you want. I can't go into specifics here.
If we accept the fact that religion and the state should not mix, then this should not be an issue for you. If the state is by default, irreligious, then taxpayer funded abortion is perfectly fine for those who want one. If you have a problem with abortion, then don't get one.

You are correct though, we will simply have to agree to disagree.
I always have believed in this reasoning. It doesn't mean I agree with it. I fully accept it though.

That is part of my faith. Look it up if you want. I can't go into specifics here.

I always have believed in this reasoning. It doesn't mean I agree with it. I fully accept it though.
Did you miss the part where I said I went to a jesuit school? Trust me, I know ALL about the catholic faith. As a matter of fact, my professors were so good that I know the bible better than many evangelicals!

On the way to work I listen to a local station (Kramer and Jess, 106.5 for my Baltimoreans). Today a mom called in for their "Bad Mom" segment. She wants to get Halloween decorations cancelled for her daughters entire class and wanted to know what listeners thought.
Just FYI--this call may well be totally "baked." Stirs up calls pro/con, makes for interesting topic.

I only experienced this once, maybe 25 years ago now. A family a few doors up from us did not celebrate Halloween. They did keep their children home on that day, as the schools back then had a Halloween parade on the grounds. I always wonder if now as adults those children had a different view about it all, and how they really felt about when they were young.

I totally missed that this was shared by Kramer and Jess (hello, also in the Baltimore area!). They share a lot of these stories that make for "interesting" discussion. I remember the one a few months ago where a caller shared that her boyfriend went to a Ravens game instead of her mother's funeral and she broke up with him because of it. That one was pretty divisive on the air.

I totally missed that this was shared by Kramer and Jess (hello, also in the Baltimore area!). They share a lot of these stories that make for "interesting" discussion. I remember the one a few months ago where a caller shared that her boyfriend went to a Ravens game instead of her mother's funeral and she broke up with him because of it. That one was pretty divisive on the air.
I mean, come on, priorities. It's football. I've never been to Baltimore, but I love The Wire.

I voted "switch to Autumn decor only" which may be unpopular, but let me elaborate.

I taught kindergarten/1st grade for many years and ALWAYS had a child or two that didn't celebrate various holidays. It was easy enough to make them generic. For art we did Fall leaves, spiders, bats, popcorn, pumpkins, and even monsters, etc. (I'd pick a book that wasn't Halloween themed for monsters like "Where the Wild Things Are.") We could talk about costumes and candy and make it about "some people like to celebrate this holiday at this time of year" so I thought it would be fun to make monsters rather than "we are celebrating Halloween." If a child liked to read/write/draw about witches etc. that was absolutely fine, I just didn't talk much about it other than in the "these are Holidays some people celebrate on this date." I think being inclusive is very important. I chose books to read aloud that focused on Harvest and Fall themes, but kept plenty of fun Halloween books available for free reading time. If I knew a child was not allowed to celebrate the holiday I was more careful than if I had no children in my classroom who had that issue, but why would any teacher want to exclude one of their students? If parties were allowed, those were pretty specific, so I called the parents and we made a plan. Some kept their kids home, some wanted them to go to the schoolwide alternative movie that was provided, some wanted to know specifics and decide accordingly. I made sure to check in with the children and recognize that many kids in the room celebrated Halloween and to let me know if they feel uncomfortable in any way. Most parents want their kids to learn how to navigate their differences so learning how to do so is important.

Doing math with m and m's as manipulatives is not Halloween, doing harvest activities like making applesauce, etc. is not Halloween, writing seasonal stories where some kids might choose to write about Halloween is not endorsing Halloween. I've never particularly liked Halloween (I dislike dressing up in costumes) so I've always empathized with those kids who want to be a part of things but for whatever reason are uncomfortable, but it's also silly to avoid it altogether because many people love it.

I found a phone call home to discuss it with any parent who had let me know of Holiday issues was appreciated and usually they had no problem since they knew I was making an effort not to put their child in a compromising position.

Last edited:
Frankly, the only thing worse would if he had gone to a Bears game …

I’m a teacher
And I think decorating for most holidays is out of place and unnecessary in a classroom. It wastes teachers already stretched thin time and wallets. Let’s normalize sticking with teaching.
I actually agree to a point, depending on grade level, and tried not to spend much money to help the kids make gifts for their parents, etc. However, in general I think it is fun to theme around Holidays in the early grades and is high motivation for the kids.

I never got the whole religious view some apparently have that Halloween is somehow anti-religion or glorifies satan or whatever else they claim. A few people where I work always talk about these things and most of us tell them it is a fun holiday for children to get candy from their neighbors. There are lots of options for costumes where the girls dress up as a princess or boys can be an astronaut or your favorite comic strip character if some might be opposed to certain types of costumes. Seems like a few people with extreme views want to deprive everyone else of the enjoyment the children get from Halloween. Seriously doubt any of the children are opposed to celebrating, but more likely something brought about by their parents.

If some parents are opposed to trick-or-treating, then they should keep their children at home but let others who enjoy this holiday still do what they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter