Getting Halloween Decorations Cancelled for Entire Class?

What should teacher do?

• Switch to autumn decorations only

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Keep up whatever decorations are in the classroom

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters

Magical2017

DIS Veteran
Wondering what your thoughts are on this situation. Children are in first grade, if that makes a difference. What should the teacher do in this situation?

On the way to work I listen to a local station (Kramer and Jess, 106.5 for my Baltimoreans). Today a mom called in for their "Bad Mom" segment. She wants to get Halloween decorations cancelled for her daughters entire class and wanted to know what listeners thought.

Mom's Side:
  1. Mom says their religion does not observe Halloween. This is her DDs first year in a public school.
  2. Mom said she is okay with autumn decorations such as pumpkins and leaves but not decorations specific to Halloween with skeletons, jack o'lanterns, zombies, etc. (not even cute fun ones).
  3. Mom did not say if she wants the Halloween party cancelled because her family does not celebrate; it was not stated whether or not the school has a parade or not.
  4. Mom feels Halloween is dark and her child should not have to sit with these decorations up for the entire month of October.
  5. Her DD told other kids in the class that , "Halloween is bad."
  6. Mom wants to contact the teacher to discuss her concerns.
Apparently another mom in the class started texting this mom, saying it would be "unfair parenting" to try to cancel Halloween decorations just because one child does not celebrate.

Neither radio show host has children, but one of the hosts compared the situation to a nut allergy, where if one child has a nut allergy then not nuts should be brought into the classroom (or school, if there is a schoolwide policy). He felt the mom had a good point. What say you?

You can listen to the segment but I was not sure if I can post links. If you Google, "Kramer and Jess 'Bad Mom' segment' Halloween" you can find the audio.

Don't let one parent ruin it for everyone else.

Neither radio show host has children, but one of the hosts compared the situation to a nut allergy, where if one child has a nut allergy then not nuts should be brought into the classroom (or school, if there is a schoolwide policy). He felt the mom had a good point. What say you?
Halloween decorations won't kill the kid, so it really isn't at all close to a nut allergy.

:sad2: Sure...by all means - everyone should adhere to this one person's religious beliefs. What a ridiculous world it is becoming. If they do this, no one should

Have ANY santa claus or christmas themed stuff displayed if any jewish or muslim children.

Force every female child, including the teacher if female, to cover their head with a burka if there's a muslim child in class - seeing uncovered heads is against that child's religion and could be quite traumatic.

Same goes if someone's religion prohibits non-religious music.
Or women who wear pants.
And so on. And so on.

My heart genuinely goes out to every teacher - you have the patience of saints to deal with some of these entitled nut job parents. My head would explode.

Last edited:
Wondering what your thoughts are on this situation. Children are in first grade, if that makes a difference. What should the teacher do in this situation?

On the way to work I listen to a local station (Kramer and Jess, 106.5 for my Baltimoreans). Today a mom called in for their "Bad Mom" segment. She wants to get Halloween decorations cancelled for her daughters entire class and wanted to know what listeners thought.

Mom's Side:
  1. Mom says their religion does not observe Halloween. This is her DDs first year in a public school.
  2. Mom said she is okay with autumn decorations such as pumpkins and leaves but not decorations specific to Halloween with skeletons, jack o'lanterns, zombies, etc. (not even cute fun ones).
  3. Mom did not say if she wants the Halloween party cancelled because her family does not celebrate; it was not stated whether or not the school has a parade or not.
  4. Mom feels Halloween is dark and her child should not have to sit with these decorations up for the entire month of October.
  5. Her DD told other kids in the class that , "Halloween is bad."
  6. Mom wants to contact the teacher to discuss her concerns.
Apparently another mom in the class started texting this mom, saying it would be "unfair parenting" to try to cancel Halloween decorations just because one child does not celebrate.

You can listen to the segment but I was not sure if I can post links. If you Google, "Kramer and Jess 'Bad Mom' segment' Halloween" you can find the audio.

A person has every right to their beliefs, and if you don't like that holiday and do not wish to participate then by all means don't. But don't take it away from those who do.

If you do not want your child to participate in the festivities then pull them from school on Halloween.

Decorations? They are everywhere so get over it. A smiling jack o'lantern isn't going to scar your child.

Disagree about the peanut allergy reference. That has health consequences. Decorations, parades, and classroom parties are not going to cause health concerns.

One parent's beliefs should not ruin it for everyone else in the class. The kid doesn't have to participate in the festivities but the decorations shouldn't be banned because one kid doesn't celebrate the holiday.

I really feel for the teachers that have to deal with situations like this.

Some people really need to learn that their religious beliefs only restrict the believers, not others. Forcing others to abide by your religious beliefs that they do not share is immoral, in my opinion. The mom should take this as a learning opportunity for her child regarding interacting with and respecting others' beliefs. If their family doesn't "do" Halloween, she is free to hold her child out of school that day or ask that the child not participate in Halloween activities. But to ask everyone else to follow her own beliefs is out of line.

Oh man......lots of situations like this today.

The school needs to tell the mom that this is a PUBLIC school and the child's religion will be respected, in regards to maybe going home early on the Halloween party day or another type of compromise. If this is not acceptable to the parent, then they need to move their child to private school, where everyone's beliefs are the same. Now, someone may say, they can't do that because they can't afford it, and I say, that many times private schools help families that can't afford private school - people just need to ask.

So many schools have already stopped this due to parents like this.

As a kid there were a few kids that didn’t celebrate Halloween. They just stayed home on Halloween when we did festivities and the parade. No one complained.

I just don't think you can force your beliefs on everyone else. What's the parent going to do? Not go to Target or Walmart for the whole month? Not let the kid hang out with other kids who are likely planning costumes and trick or treat? Not walk through their neighborhood where decorations are likely up? There are lots of things I don't believe in that I see in the world every day and it's fine. And it was fine when I was a kid. My parents just explained to me that everyone does things their own way, in accordance with their beliefs and values, and you either ignore it and do your own thing, or use it as a learning opportunity to see what else is in the world. It's not a tragedy.

Our grand kids' school in Virginia celebrates books on Halloween -- they dress up as a character. Our kids have been known to wear dinosaur costumes (among others.) I think this year DGD 7 yrs old will be Barbie.

This is a public school, not a religious one so she really doesn't have a case here I believe (I'm not an attorney).
you'd think that, right? Public schools funded by all our tax dollars shouldn't cater to a specific religion. It used to be that way. But today, the parents with the biggest mouths and most obnoxious bullying attitudes seem to get rewarded the most by dysfunctional, cowardly school leaders who would rather kowtow to their screaming demands vs stand up for the silent majority who are usually too busy earning a living to pay their bills.

you'd think that, right? Public schools funded by all our tax dollars shouldn't cater to a specific religion. It used to be that way. But today, the parents with the biggest mouths and most obnoxious bullying attitudes seem to get rewarded the most by dysfunctional, cowardly school leaders who would rather kowtow to their screaming demands vs stand up for the silent majority who are usually too busy earning a living to pay their bills.
I'm Catholic. I don't disagree that Halloween goes against most religious teachings but we have private schools for a reason. Personally, I wish private/religious schools could be funded by the government, so that everyone could attend a school for free that adheres to their beliefs. But I totally understand why that is not possible. I celebrate Halloween in the secular sense not a Wiccan religious way. Just how some on here celebrate a secular version of Christmas while I adhere to its religious beliefs. I respect all people and their rights to their beliefs.

One parent's beliefs should not ruin it for everyone else in the class. The kid doesn't have to participate in the festivities but the decorations shouldn't be banned because one kid doesn't celebrate the holiday.

I really feel for the teachers that have to deal with situations like this.
This is why I teach college so I don't have to deal with this insipid BS (just other BS). If the mom has that much of an issue then put your kids in private school.

Personally, I wish private/religious schools could be funded by the government, so that everyone could attend a school for free that adheres to their beliefs.
Absolutely not. It's bad enough that kids say the pledge with the word god in it. All children are entitled to a free solid public education that doesn't force anyone's religious beliefs down their throat. I don't care if someone worships jesus, Allah, Jehovah, or Satan, you do you, just keep it away from me and my kids.

This is why I teach college so I don't have to deal with this insipid BS (just other BS). If the mom has that much of an issue then put your kids in private school.

Absolutely not. It's bad enough that kids say the pledge with the word god in it. All children are entitled to a free solid public education that doesn't force anyone's religious beliefs down their throat. I don't care if someone worships jesus, Allah, Jehovah, or Satan, you do you, just keep it away from me and my kids.
I'm not saying public schools. I'm saying I wish religious schools could get some funding from the government to lower costs for those who want to go to them. I know why that won't happen. I don't believe in theocracy. And I thought public schools removed God from the pledge? No one is forced to include it as far as I know.

I'm not saying public schools. I'm saying I wish religious schools could get some funding from the government to lower costs for those who want to go to them. I know why that won't happen. I don't believe in theocracy. And I thought public schools removed God from the pledge? No one is forced to include it as far as I know.
But, why? Why should my tax dollars go to give financial relief to those who want to send their kids to a school whose beliefs I find deplorable (I am an atheist and fervently despise all forms of religion).

But by saying that you wish the government supported those who wanted to send their kids to religious schools, you are in fact supporting a theocratic worldview.

Not to mention, where does it end? According to your wishes, should ALL religious schools get government funding? Suppose The Satanic Temple, a recognised religious organisation by the federal government, decided to set up an elementary school and I wanted to send my kids there as I wanted to raise them as Satanists. Should that school get government benefits, even though it's controversial? Or how about I set up an elementary school based on the beliefs that Lord Manhammer is a god (he is/I am). Should that school get funding? It's a real slippery slope, man.

As far as I know, a lot of schools keep the g word in the pledge. I told my kid to ignore the pledge and just not say anything. No issues.

I will say this though, Boss, and you'll like this since you're a catholic. I went to a jesuit school. Man, those guys rock. So the SJ's are a-ok in my book.

Last edited:
But, why? Why should my tax dollars go to give financial relief to those who want to send their kids to a school whose beliefs I find deplorable (I am an atheist and fervently despise all forms of religion).

But by saying that you wish the government supported those who wanted to send their kids to religious schools, you are in fact supporting a theocratic worldview.

Not to mention, where does it end? According to your wishes, should ALL religious schools get government funding? Suppose The Satanic Temple, a recognised religious organisation by the federal government, decided to set up an elementary school and I wanted to send my kids there as I wanted to raise them as Satanists. Should that school get government benefits, even though it's controversial? Or how about I set up an elementary school based on the beliefs that Lord Manhammer is a god (he is/I am). Should that school get funding? It's a real slippery slope, man.

As far as I know, a lot of schools keep the g word in the pledge. I told my kid to ignore the pledge and just not say anything. No issues.

I will say this though, Boss, and you'll like this since you're a catholic. I went to a jesuit school. Man, those guys rock. So the SJ's are a-ok in my book.
My tax dollars go towards abortion and plan parenthood. I feel religious people should have an exemption paying for it, like how pacifists get an exemption in military draft service. This argument will get us nowhere. As I said before, I feel the mom has a baseless claim in this circumstance. But I will say no religious beliefs should ever be forced onto someone. Period.

I'm Catholic. I don't disagree that Halloween goes against most religious teachings but we have private schools for a reason. Personally, I wish private/religious schools could be funded by the government, so that everyone could attend a school for free that adheres to their beliefs. But I totally understand why that is not possible. I celebrate Halloween in the secular sense not a Wiccan religious way. Just how some on here celebrate a secular version of Christmas while I adhere to its religious beliefs. I respect all people and their rights to their beliefs.
My DS has Halloween decos & festivities AT Catholic school. I did too when I was a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter