• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gideon’s Bakehouse

Serious question...is their stuff really that good To demand such a line or is it just hype and people wanting to take pictures of their treats? I’ve never been to one and would be interested to try, but it seems so hyped that it seems like it would be disappointing

As I explained to my husband, there is no way we are waiting in a line for more than 15-20 minutes for cookies, I don't care how good they are. I am a pretty accomplished baker, so if they want cookies, I'll make them. I really think it is more the FOMO aspect than anything else. Case in point, the other location in Winter Garden has no wait. I also don't understand the excessive lines at the Starbucks in the parks, which you can go to anywhere...but I digress. I wish there was a more convenient way to order ahead, because we would do that. Kind of like Voodoo Donut at Universal City Walk. Definitely not worth a wait, but not bad if you can order ahead and just pick up (I live in PA Dutch country and know good donuts, and Voodoo are passable but not amazing, but I can understand why people like them if they aren't used to good donuts).

Serious question...is their stuff really that good To demand such a line or is it just hype and people wanting to take pictures of their treats? I’ve never been to one and would be interested to try, but it seems so hyped that it seems like it would be disappointing
It's a matter of personal taste. We were there on a weekday mid June. The wait was a piece of cake--checked in/got in their virtual line around 3, got the text a while later and came back for a 20-minute wait.

I thought the cookies were heavenly. My wife thought they were overrated. But we both agreed that they were definitely rich!

Can I ask how you got there? I will be taking Uber/lyft and I’m hoping to get in line before the virtual queue starts. It’s my departure day so I’m crunched for time! My plan was to get dropped off before the parking garages open.
Ditto! (Edited to add): I walked from Saratoga Springs (my home resort) to Disney Springs will not let you in until 9 am though.

Last edited:
Ditto! Disney Springs will not let you in until 9 am though.
If you take a ride share, getting there early helps a lot. Just note that both the East and West Loop drop off zones are quite the trek. The East Loop is by the Christmas store. The West Loop is past the Cirque du Soleil theater, but they have you walk to the second level of the Orange Garage to go through Security, so it feels less direct than the East Loop one in my opinion.

It's a matter of personal taste. We were there on a weekday mid June. The wait was a piece of cake--checked in/got in their virtual line around 3, got the text a while later and came back for a 20-minute wait.

I thought the cookies were heavenly. My wife thought they were overrated. But we both agreed that they were definitely rich!
I’m with your wife. The cookies at Gideon’s are not worth the wait.

But the interior is very Harry Potter-esque. It’s one of those things you do once for the experience.

DDC24BA1-BB98-4EE2-B8F6-0E55CB61F855.jpeg

Doesn’t the other location have day-before order and purchase? I think you can then Just pick up your cookies? Anyone tried this?? We will have a car and have a couple of no-park days. May be a better option!

I got lucky a few Tuesdays ago at 1130 am, there was just a regular line, I waited 20 minutes or so to get inside. The cookies are great but I wouldnt wait around several hours unless I was specifically at DS shopping or eating.

If you take a ride share, getting there early helps a lot. Just note that both the East and West Loop drop off zones are quite the trek. The East Loop is by the Christmas store. The West Loop is past the Cirque du Soleil theater, but they have you walk to the second level of the Orange Garage to go through Security, so it feels less direct than the East Loop one in my opinion.
Oops! I edited my reply - sorry!

My adult nephew waited in a long virtual queue and barely made the closing time. He let us taste some of the ones he got. My adult daughter and I took the grandkids in the stroller along with my great nieces and made a special walk over for opening time from Saratoga Springs… well worth it.

The cookies are huge with interesting flavors. We really like butter and salt, so these are right up our alley.

Doesn’t the other location have day-before order and purchase? I think you can then Just pick up your cookies? Anyone tried this?? We will have a car and have a couple of no-park days. May be a better option!

Yes, here's the link. I haven't tried it. You have to get there between 10am-6pm. It's up in Winter Park, so it's a hike from Disney (~50 minutes), a little less so from Universal (~30 minutes).

https://gideonsbakehouse.com/next-day-preorders/

Ditto! (Edited to add): I walked from Saratoga Springs (my home resort) to Disney Springs will not let you in until 9 am though.
Did you have to wait at security until 9 then? I guess I’m going to rope drop security! 😂

I saw Gideon’s is perfectly located in the middle from both rideshare drops offs. I’ve only ever gone from the bus depot. I’m planning to do the East side and hope it works out! Although I’m getting nervous from hearing so many horror stories with airlines lately so I’m not sure I’m even going to risk it on my departure day.

We waited 20 minutes the other evening though it was a bit rainy. No virtual queue. Honestly, was not impressed with the cookies. Wouldn’t do it again.

I'm a big fan of Achenbach's Bakery. Their Long Johns are heaven.
We tried Achenbach's for the first time last year. I liked them a lot! But quite honestly, I feel lucky I don't live in the area. Wayyyy too many good treats. The ice cream at Fox Meadows is a can't miss for us.

Yes, here's the link. I haven't tried it. You have to get there between 10am-6pm. It's up in Winter Park, so it's a hike from Disney (~50 minutes), a little less so from Universal (~30 minutes).

https://gideonsbakehouse.com/next-day-preorders/
We did this in May. Completely stress free as we were driving from GA and just stopped on the way to check in to our hotel. I highly recommend ordering the day before and then picking up. I thought the cookies were good but not worth the hassle of the DS location.

I mean, it just depends on the person. For me, it was one of the best cookies I ever had. So, it was worth the wait. For someone else, probably not.
The cookies are huge and very rich and dense. I got two chocolate chip cookies and I took one into the AMC theater and snacked on it throughout the Raya movie. :) The other one I took home and cut in half, a treat for the next two days :)

I don't think the cookies are worth the wait but I have no issue waiting for the peanut butter cold brew. Drinking one right now and it is amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter