God Bless Grandma Pauline

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
She never had any money but taught everyone else the value of Family, and time I would come over over with, I might have 3-4 friends with me, she would yell to someone get the kids some pop, which met Squirt, no ones first choice but it was ok. If I come over by myself to spend the night always around 5-6 she would go to the bar at the bottom of her apartment. We would go in everyone would yell Hey Pauline, she would head to corner of bar, and put me in corner, her right besdie me, if anyone sitting there she would talk to them and they would move, she would never have more the two beers and yell at the bartender a squirt for the squirt.

so its with great sadness i type this she should of been in jail for child abuse, I got me some just to remember the taste, it all should be burnt, im still sick over a couple swallows

Beautiful, cherished memories, Jason. Thank you for sharing a little bit of Grandma Pauline with us here. She sounds like a pretty neat grandma. I think a bit, maybe a lot, of Pauline rubbed off on her grandson.

My mom was born in 1933 on Christmas Day. She had 2 sisters that were 12 and 14 years older. I don’t think my grandma had much patience for her and she spent most of the time with my grandpa. He was a truck driver and when he got home he would head to the bar. She passed in 2017 and had a lot of lung issues. I wonder sometimes if it had anything to do with spending so much time as a kid in a smoke filled bar.

We loved our Granny so very much. I toyed with being called Granny when I first became a Grandma but felt I would never match up to the memories of her. :love:

And my granny lived on spit fire........she went down kicking at 94, 34 yrs ago.

Her laughing will always be etched in my soul.

I'm glad, Jason, your heart has the good memories of Pauline. Cheers!

That’s funny! Wasn’t Squirt sort of like Fresca, ie citrus-y? Wasn’t a big fan, either, but it was nice that she gave all your buddies a soda! Sounds like a character! :laughing:

I remember being at the bar at that age, too, with my Dad, where he hung out, and getting a Coke. (Probably more common in those days, than today!) Speaking of grandmas, it turned out years later I found out that one of the bartenders there who knew my Dad was the grandma of a girl I became friends with. We all called her Grandma J, and sometimes I went away with them. She made the BEST grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, and I felt a special connection with her since she remembered me from when I was younger. Sweet memories!

I never cared for squirt soda either but I would have drank it without a word too. I took horehound candy from my grandpa and i downright hated that stuff. But Grandpa loved it and he loved having candy to offer me. It was impossible for me to turn him down when he'd search through his pockets and pull out a piece for me. He was such a wonderful grandpa that I'd eat that stuff because he would smile so sweetly at me as he handed me the candy and I felt like saying no would hurt his feelings.

here is the thing about her she raised 5 kids as a single mom,(40, 50, 60 and nobody messed with her family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter