Going with extended family

Miscrapper

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have tips for a week's visit with 10 people - 2 families with two girls each (ages 4, 9, 9 and 12), single brother/uncle and Mom/Grandma?

My DH and I did Disney four days with just our two daughters and found it hard to see and do everything then in September. Wondering if you have any suggestions for a large group!

Thanks!

Sounds like our family trips- except we have 11. We've gone twice together. We always stay in the same hotel with side-by -side rooms. Two of the rooms are connecting- great for grandparents to help in the mornings getting ready!:D My tip is to always have some sort of plan- even if the plan is to not have a plan. Talk about what you are going to do for the day. We do go to the same parks and stay together most of the time- we have 3 small children traveling with us and a 10 year old. So, our interests are usually the same. We talk about which park we are going to do and what the priority rides are the night before. We make PS res. for character meals. We have a plan for rides we want to do together. We usually do those first. Then we may split up and have a meeting place for a certain time. Out of two trips, we've never had any major problems or arguments. We have trip number 3 in Nov.- I hope it continues. The main thing is be sure to discuss everything before the fact- don't wait until you get to MK to decide if you will do Fantasyland first or Tomorrowland. Also, use FastPass a lot. Send one or two people with the tickets to get everyone's FastPass instead of the whole group trudging through the park.
One thing my DH likes is to spend some time with just us- our little family. We try to take a half day together two times during the week. We all need a break from each other anyway.
Trips like this can be fun! The two trips we've taken have brought some of our fondest memories of our family together. They can also be stressful if they aren't done right. Rem. to take everyone's opinion and desires for the trip in mind- this is not just your trip. Good luck and have a terrific time!

I think it's important to have a plan, and also to have a discussion before you go about what everyone expects. Some people maybe expecting the entire party to move through the parks together, others may have a different idea like all arrive together, go off do your own thing and then meet for a meal at a pre-arranged time. Personally, I think trying to move 10 people through a park will be a very frustrating experience, especially if everyone is chiming in with 'lets do xxx next', so in this case, it's even more important to have a plan, so that people know that even if there favorite isn't next, it won't be forgotten.

Also be sure to have some private time, and access to private space where ever you are staying - too much togetherness can be a difficult thing!

Bev

The first time we went there was me (then 11), my mum, my dad, my lil'bro (then 7), friend's family (consisting of mum, dad, son age 14 and daughter age 11), my auntie, uncle, cousin (11), other cousin (3 mounths) and my aunt and uncle's two friends.
My suggestion is PLAN, PLAN PLAN! Make sure everyone gets a say in the planning (even the kids) that way everyone is aware of what you are gonna do when your there. Don't spend everyday together cos otherwise there is bound to be arguements!

Thanks for all advice - I am great at planning and have done Disney before so I am the expert!

Tink2 how many rooms at Port Orleans did you have? Right now we are planning on 3 rooms at all stars and thought we would only be able to get 2 connecting.

As for private time I am hoping that at least one night we can leave kids with Grandma and check out Pleasure Island!

We got 3 rooms at Port Orleans and only 2 were connecting. But they were all 3 beside each other. Be sure to let them know when you book that you want the rooms beside each other with 2 of the 3 connecting. I'm not sure they actually guarantee this, but we've gotten our request both times. It turned out our room was the connecting room to my parents because we had the smallest children- an infant. This was great for Grandad to help feed the baby while we got ready!:D

Keep in mind that if you do all the planning and are the expert you have a couple possible reactions:

1) People will be so relieved that you have taken care of everything.

2) People will think you are "bossy" and "in control"

To prevent the second, have everyone list a couple "musts" Break up the group if you have to so everyone gets their musts in. Talk about whether the kids "musts" are more important than adult "musts." (For some people this is taken for granted, for others, they feel resentful if it becomes a kid trip).

Talk about style. Do some people sleep in while others feel their vacation will be ruined if they aren't there when the gates open? Do some people want to take time for a few leisurely sit down dinners, while others don't want to spend the money or waste their time eating?

Will you be together the whole time? If not, who gets preschool duty and when? How much together time will you have?

If you don't get feedback, plan away without them.

Just thinking about a Disney trip with 10 members of my or my husband's extended family could make my head explode. I am a VERY ORGANIZED person, and unless everyone agreed in advance to submit to my plan without question, the only way I could even consider it would be to arrange one or two meeting times per day - e.g. let's all meet for dinner at this place at this time, then watch the parade together.

I think the key here is to know yourself and your family. If they tend to drive you a bit crazy anyway, use my plan (or don't do it at all.) If you all love to go with the flow, go for it!

We did a big family trip 3 yrs ago (before we had our kids) and it was great. Our whole "core" family went - my parents, my sisters and our dh's, my grandmother, and my niece. One problem you might come into with planning is that noone else might want to plan, at least that is how my family was. Here is my advice:

1. STAY ONSITE - that way you can all go back to the hotel when you want or go to different parks. Gotta love Disney transportation!

2. Get walkie talkies - we could always find each other when we wanted them this way, and they were just plain fun

3. Dont be afraid to split up - we spent a lot of time apart and would meet for parades and things like that

4. Take lots of pictures - I have 2 that are priceless - one with me and my sisters, and one with me, dh, my grown sisters, and their dh's with Mickey

5. When someone starts being grumpy, head the other way - it is much better than fighting with them ;)

6. Don't let anyone else get you down- I am an extreme morning person on vacation (never anytime else though) and no one besides dh (who is the same way) shared in my enthusiasm. I just ignored them and had a blast.

Most of all relax and enjoy the fact that you have a family and you can all be together. It can be really important to remember that when they start bugging you (trust me, I know!)

Kristy

We are a large group also. Altogether there will be 22 of us going this trip staying in 2 vacation villas.

We are actually having a Kickoff Meeting on Sunday to discuss the best way for everyone to have an enjoyable vacation.

Those that can't attend will listen via cell phone!

There were eight of us last year.
This is what I learned.
Every family unit will have a vehicle and will travel together. Even if it means driving 4 cars to the same park. Staying together did not work for us last year. They had girls we had boys. Sometimes the kids will dictate the flow of your group and ours ran straight to the castle while theirs were awestruck looking in windows on main street. We did not see our cousins after that until we were back at the villa. This works as long as no one is resentful about staying together.

Sometimes I even needed a reminder that the kids come first! I think everyone reverts to 5 yrs old when you pass thru the turnstile. There is so much to do and see and you want to do it all! Some activities will tug at you and not others in your group. If you don't get to do those things you may be resentful of the group. Just something to be aware of so you will handle it better.

We plan to discuss all these things during our meeting, and air our expectations.

I know with this approach we will have a great time and if all else fails, everyone has their own rooms and own vehicles so how bad could it be?

I agree with the radio suggestion. We went with my SIL and teenage nieces last time, and it would have been so much easier if we hadn't had to wait for them, and find them, and vice versa.

Next time, we bring 2-ways, fer shur.

Ciao,
Mort.

Wow! Great tips, everyone! We are traveling with 13 members of my DH's family in August! We are morning people, but my DH's family is not. We are staying at the Poly. We have already explained to the rest of the family that we will be taking part in early entry, as we have always done. If they aren't ready when we are, they can catch up to us later. And yes, we have 4 sets of walkie talkies and 2 vans. Glad to hear I am doing the right thing! I do think we will have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter