Goodbye, Maxpass. Hello, Disney Genie.

We've been discussing this over on teh News boards but I thought I check to see how it is being received by my Disneyland People.

It's not as bad as I thought it might be, but it isn't as good as it used to be. What is I guess? I can live with it I think.

$20 per person per day seems a little steep, but I guess we were paying $15 before for MaxPass.

$20 per person per day seems a little steep, but I guess we were paying $15 before for MaxPass.
It's been so long I don't remember. :) Also, I just added it to my AP, so I don't really remember the per day pricing. But given how quickly the Maxpass price increased I suspect it would be $20 by now if not for Covid.

We loved MaxPass at DLR-- hated FP+ at WDW and are okay with this EXCEPT for the fact that they have excluded some rides and are making them pay per ride. If we are already paying $60 per day at DLR and $45 per day at WDW for 3 people, I would expect all the FP rides to be included.

We loved MaxPass at DLR-- hated FP+ at WDW and are okay with this EXCEPT for the fact that they have excluded some rides and are making them pay per ride. If we are already paying $60 per day at DLR and $45 per day at WDW for 3 people, I would expect all the FP rides to be included.

That's what we're thinking. It's like, okay...$20 per person isn't *that* bad I guess, but then if you have to do a pay-per-ride option on top of that it's going to be different.

I hate anything that's pay-per-ride. I don't want to sit there weighing the additional cost of us riding RSR or whatever else they add to that list. I'd rather pay more and have all the rides included.

Curious if you can add it to APs (I assume yes, since you could before) and at what price point...

ETA: The full video from Disney clarifies that Magic Key holders have to buy per day "at launch," so my assumption was wrong! (For now...)

Last edited:
Anyone else notice that it's only 1 lightning lane at a time with genie+? A big downgrade from maxpass which you could stack.
You can only have two lightning lanes all day. I don't think that it will be many rides. If you're talking about the rides booked through Genie+, technically Maxpass was "one at at time," too. I expect this will follow similar guidelines.

If I have 5 day tickets for my 5, and those tickets have MaxPass on them, do you think I could just automatically switch to Genie? That would be nice instead of having to go to a window at the gate, get my money back, then spend that money on Genie+.

The way I read it is that rides are not excluded, per se. But that if you want to ride certain rides "right now" you have to pay extra. Otherwise you can get a pass like before. In the case of RSR they will fill up quickly. That's how I interpret "limited availability".

Anyone else notice that it's only 1 lightning lane at a time with genie+? A big downgrade from maxpass which you could stack.

This jumped out at me too. But I guess with the way it is worded "You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day." the 90 minute/2 hour thing may still come into play under "one selection at a time." I can't imagine people will be too happy to pay $20 and find out they can only use it for one or two rides because the ride they want is only available later in the day (or they can only use it on less popular rides if they want to get more rides out of it).

You can only have two lightning lanes all day. I don't think that it will be many rides. If you're talking about the rides booked through Genie+, technically Maxpass was "one at at time," too. I expect this will follow similar guidelines.

But you could book a new MaxPass before using one thats window was beyond the 2 hour waiting period (or was it 90 minutes? I can’t remember). The description makes it sound like the Genie+ will operate more like a DAS, which you could not rebook until you used or canceled the ride you were waiting for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter