Grand CA is official

Plutofan

DIS Veteran
200 new hotel rooms (not DVC)
50 Bedroom DVC units
Details will be sent out October 9
Completion date late 2009

Who made the officiall announcement?

52 rooms? Yikes! Talk about competition!

Well it lloks like one rumor can move over to the reality column. 52 rooms doesn't sound like enough. Could be yough to get.

Does this mean no studios? Or would there still be lock off studios?

gkrykewy
I was wondering the same thing. I hate these tease press releases. We need details!!! I guess we'll have to blow in the wind until Oct 9th.

Is that fifty-two 1-bedroom DVC villas?

Or five 2-bedroom DVC villas?

Or a single 52-bedroom DVC villa?

(How many points would a 52-bedroom DVC villa require?)

I was on the phone with my guide about another issue when the e-mail came through...it was her understanding/interpretation that there would be 50 2-bedroom lock-off units...so that they could be 50 1-bedroom and 50 studios or any of the available combinations.

Wow. That is going to be nearly impossible to book, I would assume. I know there's not that much space out there, but 50? Seriously?

I don't have any doubts about this, but to me "official" means "public announcement".

Seems to me that 50 rooms will be sold quite quickly. But I have to believe they've done careful market studies, and if they were sure they could sell 150, they would've built them.

I like the 52-bedroom suite idea, though I'd gladly settle for 4 13-bedroom suites. If I banked points I could get one for a couple hours or so.

I think GCV is the size it is because they want to see proof it can perform well with DL on the west coast.

MANY DL visitors are AP holders, by all accounts. I suspect (but don't know, obviously) that worries the bean counters in relation to DVC at DL. AP holders typically live much closer to DL than the typical Florida guest does to WDW. I'm sure the question is (and thus, the smaller size) will those AP holders, who don't live oh so far away, buy into a "local" timeshare property simply to be close to DL.

The other worry, I suspect, is concerns useage...and the fact the locals may only want to be weekend guests. In the past, DVC has gotten around that problem by making sure weekend "rates" are much higher than weekdays. I'm not sure that will work in CA....or rather, doing it (and I suspect they will) may limit their market.

I think, as a "first try" the size is OK...but I suspect it WILL sell out quite quickly. If it does, I'd expect to see more DVC units in other places on property relatively quickly.

gkrykewy
I was wondering the same thing. I hate these tease press releases. We need details!!! I guess we'll have to blow in the wind until Oct 9th.

I agree! Dribbling out the info like this is just cruel... I guess I'll just have to hope now that the ice has been broken, some of the insiders will feel safe enough to leak more info before the October 9th press release.

I don't have any doubts about this, but to me "official" means "public announcement".

Seems to me that 50 rooms will be sold quite quickly. But I have to believe they've done careful market studies, and if they were sure they could sell 150, they would've built them.

I like the 52-bedroom suite idea, though I'd gladly settle for 4 13-bedroom suites. If I banked points I could get one for a couple hours or so.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1847459.php

I'd call that pretty "official".

I think GCV is the size it is because they want to see proof it can perform well with DL on the west coast.

MANY DL visitors are AP holders, by all accounts. I suspect (but don't know, obviously) that worries the bean counters in relation to DVC at DL. AP holders typically live much closer to DL than the typical Florida guest does to WDW. I'm sure the question is (and thus, the smaller size) will those AP holders, who don't live oh so far away, buy into a "local" timeshare property simply to be close to DL.

The other worry, I suspect, is concerns useage...and the fact the locals may only want to be weekend guests. In the past, DVC has gotten around that problem by making sure weekend "rates" are much higher than weekdays. I'm not sure that will work in CA....or rather, doing it (and I suspect they will) may limit their market.

I think, as a "first try" the size is OK...but I suspect it WILL sell out quite quickly. If it does, I'd expect to see more DVC units in other places on property relatively quickly.

I think it is size...there just is any room out there for more right now.

Here is the article from the OC Register:

ANAHEIM – Disney is planning to expand the Grand Californian Hotel and Spa, its high-end lodge in the Disneyland Resort, by adding about 250 units, including the first vacation-ownership villas, the company is expected to announce today.

The expanded hotel would grow by 2.5 acres, stretching south of the hotel that opened in 2001 alongside Downtown Disney and Disney's California Adventure theme park. The Grand Californian already has 745 rooms.

The first Disney Vacation Club units on the West Coast – 50 two-bedroom-equivalent villas – would be part of the new area. The club is a vacation-ownership program that includes other Disney locations and associated members.

"This expansion underscores our commitment to growing and investing in both the Disneyland Resort and the Anaheim Resort Area," said Ed Grier, Disneyland Resort president, in a prepared statement.

Contact the writer: 714-704-3793 or stully@ocregister.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter