Guardians to replace UoE and Ratatouille coming to Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though of course an active online Disney community didn't exist in 1996 when UoE first became Ellen's Energy Adventure, does anybody remember what the fan reaction was at the time? Was the attitude more "why are we losing our beloved UoE! Ellen will ruin this!" or "wow, this is a great new update"?

At the time, it was word of mouth. And Ellen was pretty popular, as was Bill Nye. It was pretty well received. But like other pavilions, doing something that's popular at the time, can't be dragged out for twenty years.

Thanks to MisterPenguin on wdwmagic here is the set up

View attachment 253430

Guess the expansion pad between Morocco and France is gone. Although, I like the green space between the two anyway.

I think people want it to be true to the original 1980s Epcot not Walt's vision.

YES. EPCOT was cutting edge. It was like nothing else out there. We're now bound to endless IPs and rehashing of movies in rides format. The first time you rode Spaceship Earth, or World of Motion, you knew you were experiencing something no one else could pull off, but Disney. Now Disney is resorting to pulling off everything everyone is capable of pulling off.

Super happy for The Rat (I like that phrase, too :thumbsup2 ). Do we think it will be a trackless ride, like (I think?) the one in DLP is?

And I'm not really a Marvel aficionado, but I do like Guardians. And the interior concept art really has me excited because it looks like a preshow area with Rocket and Groot. All I really want out of this is a cool animatronic Rocket like Mission: Breakout has. :goodvibes

I'm a weirdo but I liked universe of energy...I just don't like that they keep the same old movie. Every five/ten years you couldn't update it???

I always wonder why they took out Ellen's anamatronic too...oh well look towards the future!

Super happy for The Rat (I like that phrase, too :thumbsup2 ). Do we think it will be a trackless ride, like (I think?) the one in DLP is?

And I'm not really a Marvel aficionado, but I do like Guardians. And the interior concept art really has me excited because it looks like a preshow area with Rocket and Groot. All I really want out of this is a cool animatronic Rocket like Mission: Breakout has. :goodvibes
Rat ride will be same as Paris with trackless ride system

I think people want it to be true to the original 1980s Epcot not Walt's vision.

I agree.

Most folks don't know that the C in EPCOT originally stood for City, not Community.

That is, if they even know what EPCOT stands for at all. ;)

Again, I'm bummed it's heading in an IP direction and not new concepts but c'est la vie. That's the way the future is going at the Parks and I must embrace it rather than being a grumpy old girl.

I'm really happy Ratatouille is coming. While I know there are more changes to Epcot to be announced does anyone know if there is still a possibility of a ride coming to the UK pavilion? I still have a lot of unanswered questions after D23.

I always wonder why they took out Ellen's anamatronic too...oh well look towards the future!
I figured she broke, but have no idea.

Most folks don't know that the C in EPCOT originally stood for City, not Community.
Not to throw this thread off but I remember Walt saying Community in old videos, so then just watched this
at 4:12 he does say "city" but then right after he says "community". Maybe he thought city sometimes, but it was community on most brochures too I think looking through them & when he spoke about it on videos I've watched.

I want to know when Aliens started to = the Future. "Guardians" and "Stitch don't even take place in the future. Yet they are in lands called Tomorrowland and Futureworld.

Over in Disneyland "Star Tours" is an attraction in Tomorrowland as well. Even though at the beginning of the first film it says "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

Oh well, I guess Disney just started putting things where ever they wanted to. Thus we are getting "Frozen" and "Guardians" rides in parks they don't belong.

Last edited:
I want to know when Aliens started to = the Future. "Guardians" and "Stitch don't even take place in the future. Yet they are in lands called Tomorrowland and Futureworld.

Over in Disneyland "Star Tours" is an attraction in Tomorrowland as well. Even though at the beginning of the first film it says "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

Oh well, I guess Disney just started putting things where ever they wanted to. Thus we are getting "Frozen" and "Guardians" rides in parks they don't belong.

When did dinosaurs = the future?

When did dinosaurs = the future?

Ellen time traveled to the past, thus time travel = the future.

She should have went to the future as well and prevented some bad decisions (Anne Heche, her film career, Anne Heche).

Last edited:
I'm stoked about Guardians as long it's not too wild of a coaster...my motion sick self doesn't do well with upside down or massive drops. But I never went on Ellen's Energy (I'll hide). I usually spend most of my Epcot time in World Showcase, though.

There hasn't been a full new country added to World Showcase for 29 years. That was just 6 years after Epcot opened. They don't seem to be in any hurry to add any new ones, either. I'd much rather see them use a country expansion space for adding a nice, big ride like this to an exiting country rather than seeing these spaces remain empty. I am, however, entirely opposed to wasting a country expansion space for a character meet and greet area like they did just last year. That was a complete waste. There are 5 country expansion spaces left. It would be nice to get one or two additional countries but I would love to see at least 2 more good rides added on to existing pavilions in World Showcase.

I think what you lay out of adding 1-2 new countries and then adding 1-2 big attractions to existing countries (Mt Fuji roller coaster to Japan, etc.) would be good. 5 new countries would seem like a lot (and you know each would have to have at least one restaurant, etc. - just be overkill) but 1 or 2 would be nice

In a conversation with my dad, an idea came up about this idea of Peter Quill visiting Epcot in the 1980's. What if the premise of the ride is traveling back in time to Epcot Center, exploring what we thought the future would be back then, likely with witty banter. Maybe even a portion of the ride being a brief recreation of Horizons. Just a thought. I'm curious for those out there, what kind of experience could they create that you feel would be true to Epcot's spirit.

I definitely could see part of it being Peter wanting the team to come there but in his mind he thinks of the classic EPCOT that he remembers and there being a lot of Easter Eggs and inside jokes (references to Horizons (maybe have the robot butler make an appearance) and World of Motion and Dreamfinder, etc.) ... they were pretty self referential in Mission Breakout (I know for one of the versions when the doors open and you see Disneyland Rocket says something like "well that does fit with the continuity") so I would think they would have some fun with it

I agree.

That is, if they even know what EPCOT stands for at all. ;)

Again, I'm bummed it's heading in an IP direction and not new concepts but c'est la vie. That's the way the future is going at the Parks and I must embrace it rather than being a grumpy old girl.

I thought EPCOT stood for Every Person Comes Out Tired ;)

In a conversation with my dad, an idea came up about this idea of Peter Quill visiting Epcot in the 1980's. What if the premise of the ride is traveling back in time to Epcot Center, exploring what we thought the future would be back then, likely with witty banter. Maybe even a portion of the ride being a brief recreation of Horizons. Just a thought. I'm curious for those out there, what kind of experience could they create that you feel would be true to Epcot's spirit.

The "Guardians" don't travel through time, it doesn't flow with their story. I didn't even like seeing the time turners in "Harry Potter". Besides if Peter could go back in time, there would be no perils in his movies. He'd just prevent his mother from dying from cancer and his younger self from being abducted.

Time traveling should be left to experts like Doc Brown, Bill Nye and that idiot on the "Dinosaur" ride.

pretty sure it is going to be more like this (I tried to line up where the entrance to the ride is in Paris - but I am sure they could orient the building differently if needed

View attachment 254424

That's how I see it.

You can tell from the position of the Eiffel tower. In each of the concept pics it seems to be to the left of the show building.

That's how I see it.

You can tell from the position of the Eiffel tower, in each of the concept pics it seems to be to the left of the show building.

yeah, and from those it isn't a "queue" in the sense of an indoor line but taht it is more of an open air square - so not sure if all of that is actually the queue or more of a side street that gets you to the queue area that is in the show building (but I marked it as queue as that is how you would get to the attraction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter