Handicap Room BWV

Thank you for your time. I think to be safe I’ll bring my shower chair. I don’t like to count on the ones they provide. I did find some photos on Trip Advisor of BWV studios with built in benches but it may have been before the remodel since the reviewer complained about the shower head not being adjustable. The one in your photo looks like it is. Maybe they removed the benches with the remodel. I guess I’ll find out when I get there. Thanks to your photos I’ll be prepared either way.

when are you going?

Unlike non-HA rooms that the shower chairs are requested and then removed when the guest leaves I believe they are just left in the HA rooms with the roll in shower since there isn't a built in. At least it was there when we arrived.

Unlike non-HA rooms that the shower chairs are requested and then removed when the guest leaves I believe they are just left in the HA rooms with the roll in shower since there isn't a built in. At least it was there when we arrived.
That makes sense. The chair in the photo would work fine. I may just have faith there will be one in the room & leave mine at home. Thanks!

nice! have fun! be sure to report back on how your room turns out.
Thanks! We always try to get BCV for our spring trip but it wasn’t available. I will report on the room. Info on HA rooms can be hard to find. Thanks for starting this thread...I’d been wondering about some of the same things you were.

nice! have fun! be sure to report back on how your room turns out.
We just returned from our BWV stay. First time I was disappointed in a Disney HA room. We booked a roll-in shower studio, pool/ garden view. The view was similar to the photos Kat4Disney posted. Anytime I book a HA tub room, I bring my own shower bench since I need the type that extends over the side of the tub & that type isn’t always available. It has been my experience in the past that a roll-in shower room will have a built in bench & adjustable shower head. Our room had neither. I was prepared for no built in bench as Kat4Disney’s photo showed, but had faith a suitable shower chair would be provided. None was in the room. There was a bar on the shower wall for an adjustable sprayer but it was broken so the sprayer was mounted high on the wall like a normal shower. We spent our whole evening after a very tiring flight dealing with getting an appropriate shower bench & having the adjustable shower head repaired. Obviously the studio showers were not touched in the recent refurb. At least not the HA ones. These items were things that have been broken for quite some time since I’d seen a review on Trip Advisor complaining about the same problems. I thought from Kat4Disney’s photos the problems were corrected. Not so. I will stick to my policy of always bringing my own shower chair no matter what kind of room I’ve booked & whether it’s Disney or Motel 6, you can’t count on anything. The old brackets on the shower wall where the built in bench used to be did come in handy though...you could stick the tubes of shampoo & body wash in them, since there was no place else to put them. We did insist they fix the adjustable shower head since there’s no way I could make do without it so it will be fixed for the next guest that gets this room. The shower had mold at eye level when sitting on the shower chair which also had mold on the legs. I was so glad to get home to my newly remodeled accessible shower at home. We loved the resort & the location for the Flower & Garden festival but Disney really disappointed me in thinking this room was suitable for a disabled guest.

We just returned from our BWV stay. First time I was disappointed in a Disney HA room. We booked a roll-in shower studio, pool/ garden view. The view was similar to the photos Kat4Disney posted. Anytime I book a HA tub room, I bring my own shower bench since I need the type that extends over the side of the tub & that type isn’t always available. It has been my experience in the past that a roll-in shower room will have a built in bench & adjustable shower head. Our room had neither. I was prepared for no built in bench as Kat4Disney’s photo showed, but had faith a suitable shower chair would be provided. None was in the room. There was a bar on the shower wall for an adjustable sprayer but it was broken so the sprayer was mounted high on the wall like a normal shower. We spent our whole evening after a very tiring flight dealing with getting an appropriate shower bench & having the adjustable shower head repaired. Obviously the studio showers were not touched in the recent refurb. At least not the HA ones. These items were things that have been broken for quite some time since I’d seen a review on Trip Advisor complaining about the same problems. I thought from Kat4Disney’s photos the problems were corrected. Not so. I will stick to my policy of always bringing my own shower chair no matter what kind of room I’ve booked & whether it’s Disney or Motel 6, you can’t count on anything. The old brackets on the shower wall where the built in bench used to be did come in handy though...you could stick the tubes of shampoo & body wash in them, since there was no place else to put them. We did insist they fix the adjustable shower head since there’s no way I could make do without it so it will be fixed for the next guest that gets this room. The shower had mold at eye level when sitting on the shower chair which also had mold on the legs. I was so glad to get home to my newly remodeled accessible shower at home. We loved the resort & the location for the Flower & Garden festival but Disney really disappointed me in thinking this room was suitable for a disabled guest.

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry you had those issues to deal with. At least it sounds like you had a good trip overall. I'm wondering now if I should try and switch at 7 months or just bank on my sister in law being able to make do with the the roll in shower in the one bedroom part of our two bedroom. What other Disney resorts have you stayed in and how did their HA rooms compare?

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry you had those issues to deal with. At least it sounds like you had a good trip overall. I'm wondering now if I should try and switch at 7 months or just bank on my sister in law being able to make do with the the roll in shower in the one bedroom part of our two bedroom. What other Disney resorts have you stayed in and how did their HA rooms compare?
If your SIL needs an adjustable shower head, grab bars & a shower seat those things should be available. Do you have a HA room booked...tub or shower? I’d like to think that the room we had is the only one that had a broken shower head & it has been repaired. I know shower seats aren’t a guarantee in a regular room but you’d think they’d be in a HA room. I just got started bringing my own shower chair when I used to be able to manage in a regular room. Now that I need a HA room I continued to bring it for tub rooms. When we’ve booked roll-in shower rooms at BCV & AKV there was always a built in bench. HA tub or shower rooms always had an adjustable shower head. This was the first that didn’t. When my husband called about a chair, he was told housekeeping must’ve removed it because they thought it wouldn’t be needed. He reminded them it was a HA room. I was glad he was there to deal with things calmly & insist everything was taken care of. I wouldn’t feel the need to change resorts because the location is perfect to require less bus rides. I would probably just call to make sure the room you’ve booked will have what your SIL needs just to make sure. I don’t know who you call though. I need to find out before our next visit since I plan to double check everything in the future. Maybe someone else could help with that. Since this discussion went from what view a HA room would have to what was provided in the bathroom, this might be better for the Disability forums.

Make sure you notify Member satisfaction about the problems you had. These should be things you shouldn't have to worry about. Ever.

Make sure you notify Member satisfaction about the problems you had. These should be things you shouldn't have to worry about. Ever.
I did fill out the online survey yesterday & gave my honest opinion. Don’t know if that has any impact though. My husband is the one that dealt with everything at the resort. After retiring from 40 yrs of working for McDonalds starting at the bottom & working his way up, he’s one who hates to complain even when justified. He was super sweet to everyone he had to deal with from housekeeping to maintenance. Once we got things to the point that I could make it work, we just wanted to get on with our trip & not waste anymore time on dealing with problems. Do you really think notifying Member satisfaction has more impact than the survey? If so, I’ll do that too. Not really sure how to do that, never had a need to before.

I did fill out the online survey yesterday & gave my honest opinion. Don’t know if that has any impact though. My husband is the one that dealt with everything at the resort. After retiring from 40 yrs of working for McDonalds starting at the bottom & working his way up, he’s one who hates to complain even when justified. He was super sweet to everyone he had to deal with from housekeeping to maintenance. Once we got things to the point that I could make it work, we just wanted to get on with our trip & not waste anymore time on dealing with problems. Do you really think notifying Member satisfaction has more impact than the survey? If so, I’ll do that too. Not really sure how to do that, never had a need to before.
Yes, I think Member Satisfaction will be good to contact. They need to know about these problems so they don't happen to another person needing the HA shower. More of a, here's what happened, it would be nice if it didn't happen to another guest who needed it. Not, I'm a DVC member and I'm pissed. I'd ask for follow up as well on the situation. The mold/mildew on the shower chair needs to be resolved. And if you can't reach the shower head, what good is a HA shower? It's amazing they didn't remove the old brackets either. Kind of a half-***ed job. They should do it and do it right.

Too bad you don't have photos to show them. Ken Potrock needs to see this.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter