HARMONIOUS SEPTEMBER 29, 2021

My initial reaction after watching the Disney feed was that this was just an absolute failure on all fronts. Craig had said on the Tuesday show to essentially just watch the Disney feed as it would be an entire production, but good lord did Disney absolutely botch it. It was just a complete mess that made the show look horrible, visually confusing and showed more swinging arms and poor sight lines than anything.

I just watched the video Craig shot, and it is exponentially better than what Disney showed. There are so many effects and visuals that did not translate when watching the live stream from Disney. The visual elements when viewed from a center stage view are absolutely incredible. If you watched the Disney feed I would strongly urge you to watch Craig's. It's an entirely different experience.

What didn't change, regardless of the visual beauty, was that the show itself has no soul at all or emotional pull. Just not something anyone with any interest in what EPCOT actually is can get on board with. Wouldn't even call it a poor man's HEA....that would be an insult to HEA.
I agree, the Dis feed was much better.
I think the Disney feed was “too professional” and was really only being recorded for a future broadcast.
like they were plugged into the main mono audio..which was designed to sound “dead” because the real life experience would have built in depth/echo from the tons of speakers around the lagoon. And then the video was also dead like some form of sLog that needs to be graded in post for the HDR impact it should have.

When did DIsney lose their ability to tell a story?
Just finished watching and really underwhelmed. Reminded me of the first time I watched Rivers of Light.
Multiple short snipets of IP does not make a story.
I keep hoping that seeing it in person will be much better. However listening to the crowd, I don't think I've ever heard that little cheering for a good night time show (especially when it was over).
Technically it looks good, just has no soul. It lacked the soul of Illuminations or Wishes.
I was hoping the show would make up for the loss of a beautiful view across the lake. It doesn't.
I may be wrong, but this looks like a one and done.
Was really hoping for more.
You mentioning Rivers of Light reminded me of how I felt when we saw it. I kept thinking "This is pretty, but what is going on here?" Hoping Disney will take a hint from the lack of enthusiasm, and add a story line.

The fireworks that shoot out from the edges of the lagoon basically feel like they’re coming from right in front of you. Very, very cool. We loved it. The crowd loved it. Glad we got to be there tonight to experience it.

I'm really glad to hear this! Were you facing the front of the barges or to the side?

Terrible is putting it nicely. I didn’t even mind the lackluster fireworks or the obnoxiously permanent barges they ruined the view with. But I will not stand for this score. There was an audible moment during the princess in the frog section where it was a LOUD nails on chalkboard piercing moment. I had to fast forward because i could not stand to continue to listen. I speak multiple languages and love when songs mix languages seamlessly but this, THIS was not it. There was no flow or matching rhythm. It actually took me completely out of the experience. Not to mention changing the entire tempo of the songs (looking at you coco section) completely ruins the emotional connection we made to the original songs. Save your time and money. Maybe if nobody watches it, it’ll motivate them to fix or update this travesty of a show.

Technically I thought the show was wonderful but the message and emotion were where it really missed the mark for me. IMO, the show lacks creativity theme-wise. I just kind of knew that the heavy Disney IP in Epcot wasn't the way to go. Just slapping Disney IP on everything makes it seem lazy and maybe proves it just doesn't always work. Maybe Disney believes if you just throw an IP without any real message that all Disney fans will just eat it up.

I really wanted that original score and not just rehashed Disney music. That is what Disney has always been good at. Epcot has always gone in its own direction and had its own mission and that is what many people loved about it so why go down that same route as MK? I still want to see it live so hopefully, I may like it a bit better when I do but I'm still going to be disappointed in the soundtrack. When I was watching this, I was thinking that there was nothing here that even celebrates the 50th anniversary so I'm a bit bewildered as to why they even changed it. Epcot Forever was more of a celebration than this show.

Last edited:
and the jungle book song? we're doing the apes that want to be like humans in the Africa section... really?

The Jungle Book is set in India--not Africa.

I watched Craig's stream and while I enjoyed it--found myself losing interest after about 12-13 minutes. Illuminations is going to be tough to replace. I remember when the transition was made from Illuminations to Illuminations Reflections of Earth and, at first, I wasn't enamored and wanted plain old Illuminations back. IRoE has grown on me and has always been my favorite of all the nighttime shows.

My wife and I are less than pleased (being kind) with Chapek so at least we can revel in the fact that he's seeing in real time the reaction to this mess he deposited in the World Showcase Lagoon. And it is not good.

This was planned before Chapek so I'm not sure he had the involvement you may think.

Illuminations definitely had the ending nailed, it left you on a high note with an elated feeling while singing we go on. This was a product of the whole show building through it's original score though - I couldn't get past how a lot of the songs in Harmonius just stopped instead of blending into the next one - HEA blends so well, my wife was wondering if maybe the sound engineer from HEA was working on Enchantment.

My son saw a positive with all of this - When we stay at Beach Club there won't be as much firework booms to keep us up anymore. :rotfl2:
I was watching it thinking "This is like a city fireworks show." Where each song is independent of the last one and generally no real story. Except city shows actually have fireworks in them.

Wasn't Chapek in charge of Parks when it was approved? He was the one who announced it at D23.

Yeah, I guess but Iger would have to sign off on it so I don't totally put it all on one person. What Disney finally decides to do with Spaceship Earth, I'm going to place blame or credit on Chapek. I'm also remembering something about a quote by Iger about adding more IP to Epcot so that idea was kicking around for a while.

Last edited:
A revamped EPCOT FOREVER would be a better celebration for the 50th, with the projection screens showing ride scenes and scores from Horizons, World of Motion, Universe of Energy, the Dreamfinder and Figment, Cranium Command, Spaceship Earth, Kitchen Cabaret (Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit), even the computer control room show with IO, capped with the old theme song Remember the Magic from WDW 25th Anniversary.

I watched a couple different views of this show and if I'm not mistaken you have to be in front of the "tacos" in order to see the projections. I watched a vlog from Germany and then from the front of WS and I didn't realize there was so much to see. That being said this will be another money making opportunity for Disney...I see paid dessert parties happening for prime viewing space. I don't think you're going to see it well from all over WS like other shows. I did like the light show but the lack of fireworks was a bummer and I didn't like the music. The narration and the GOODBYE at the end was so flat...goodbye, get out now! I will make an effort to see it in person, it deserves that I guess.

A revamped EPCOT FOREVER would be a better celebration for the 50th, with the projection screens showing ride scenes and scores from Horizons, World of Motion, Universe of Energy, the Dreamfinder and Figment, Cranium Command, Spaceship Earth, Kitchen Cabaret (Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit), even the computer control room show with IO, capped with the old theme song Remember the Magic from WDW 25th Anniversary.

Yeah, that definitely makes more sense than the current HarmoniUS theme.

Wasn't Chapek in charge of Parks when it was approved? He was the one who announced it at D23.

Yes, before becoming CEO, Chapek was CEO of Parks.

I am fascinated that any Disney executive--Chapek or anyone--could watch what was presented last night and give it a thumbs up.

His official Disney bio says "Mr. Chapek’s nearly three decades at Disney have been marked by growth and transformation. A visionary leader, he has championed using creativity and cutting-edge technology to drive expansion and improve the guest and consumer experience, developed and successfully implemented groundbreaking business models, and identified new revenue streams to achieve business objectives and sustain long-term growth."

So I guess this is a manifestation of his vision for "growth and transformation."

Okay, for those that were actually there...where did you stand? Could you see most of the displays from there? If I was looking for one of the "Better" spots to stand, especially with young granddaughters, where should I stake a claim? Thanks in advance. We will be there (EPCOT) on 25 October.

The Jungle Book is set in India--not Africa.

I watched Craig's stream and while I enjoyed it--found myself losing interest after about 12-13 minutes. Illuminations is going to be tough to replace. I remember when the transition was made from Illuminations to Illuminations Reflections of Earth and, at first, I wasn't enamored and wanted plain old Illuminations back. IRoE has grown on me and has always been my favorite of all the nighttime shows.

I still want the original Illuminations back! I always loved how each country got its time to shine (literally).

Just watched Craig's video as well, and Disney should just contract fireworks streams and recordings out to him. His video is so much better than what they showed last night.

Yes, before becoming CEO, Chapek was CEO of Parks.

I am fascinated that any Disney executive--Chapek or anyone--could watch what was presented last night and give it a thumbs up.

His official Disney bio says "Mr. Chapek’s nearly three decades at Disney have been marked by growth and transformation. A visionary leader, he has championed using creativity and cutting-edge technology to drive expansion and improve the guest and consumer experience, developed and successfully implemented groundbreaking business models, and identified new revenue streams to achieve business objectives and sustain long-term growth."

So I guess this is a manifestation of his vision for "growth and transformation."

I'm not sure about Iger though. He was a big proponent of Disney IP in Epcot and that would include the music so he could have possibly given it the greenlight. Once FEA was planned you could of feel that this was the track they would be going down eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter