Harvesting?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
I got a cucumber from my garden yesterday. The first of my annual vegetables. Some cherry tomatoes will be ready soon.

How about you? What have you gotten from your garden this summer??

Bobbi

We had green beans, but the birds are beating us to it this year. We still have some peas and eggplant left, but the only real thing that we will be able to harvest soon is sweet potato.
With this baby coming, I will have to take a break with the garden soon.

hi first time even visiting this board...since we planted mid June( about 2 weeks late due to moving and not having time to prepare beds last fall) we have 0 ready but lots of stuff coming if i can keep Mr Groundhog from figuring out how to get through the fence.. he's pretty fat from eating the birdseed, etc so hopefully he'll be to full to cause typical groundhog decimation :rolleyes:

jann1033 said:
hi first time even visiting this board...since we planted mid June( about 2 weeks late due to moving and not having time to prepare beds last fall) we have 0 ready but lots of stuff coming if i can keep Mr Groundhog from figuring out how to get through the fence.. he's pretty fat from eating the birdseed, etc so hopefully he'll be to full to cause typical groundhog decimation :rolleyes:

Welcome to the flower and garden board. Good luck with keep the groundhog away from your plants. :thumbsup2

jann1033 said:

:wave: I hope you do keep Mr. Groundhog away!
Bobbi :goodvibes

Earlier in the season we had lettuce, spinach & raspberries. This week we had our first cuke, a few cherry tomatoes, lottsa onions, a huge squash with many more on the way, blueberries still coming and assorted fruit from the fruit cocktail tree :sunny:

Lost a few melons & pumpkins to the groundhog already. This is the second one we've had to deal with this season. :furious:

Hey jann1033 :wave: Welcome to the F&G :wave2:

I have one pot that I'm growing my veggies in (since I work in a garden center, I really don't want to garden when I get home. How sad is that?). My broccoli and lettuce are long gone, and my little grape tomato is just starting to color up. I hate waiting, though...I'll probably eat it before it gets fully red!

DebºoºS said:
Earlier in the season we had lettuce, spinach & raspberries. This week we had our first cuke, a few cherry tomatoes, lottsa onions, a huge squash with many more on the way, blueberries still coming and assorted fruit from the fruit cocktail tree :sunny:

Lost a few melons & pumpkins to the groundhog already. This is the second one we've had to deal with this season. :furious:

Hey jann1033 :wave: Welcome to the F&G :wave2:

What is a cocktail tree?

Lemon cucumbers and roma and cherry tomatoes out of our ears! Green beans are starting. And I have a lone, volunteer watermelon that is growing. And my peas bit the dust in the hot, hot sun.

There's lots of good things out there!
Bobbi :)

PS. Yes, I'm curious too, what's a fruit cocktail tree?

Does anyone want to trade seeds? It can be store bought or seeds from your plants...I have both marigolds and cilantro if anyone is interested.

So far ....... cherry tomatoes, zucchini strawberries and basil. Hoping for more soon, though!

A friend just gave me some basil, she grows it in pots, and most people who grow it seem to have it in pots. Does anyone grow it in the ground, if not, why not?

Bobbi

PS. Mommytotwo, I'm getting away from seeds, perrenials just need less fuss.

so far; cherry and grape tomatoes, hot peppers, onions, cukes, basil, and garlic.

bobbiwoz said:
A friend just gave me some basil, she grows it in pots, and most people who grow it seem to have it in pots. Does anyone grow it in the ground, if not, why not?

Bobbi

PS. Mommytotwo, I'm getting away from seeds, perrenials just need less fuss.

Yes, we grow basil in the ground. We had lemon basil and also the Thai basil and they did great in the ground. I did notice that for the lemon basil that there were alot of worms that were always around the plant, but not for the Thai one.

We've had cukes coming out our ears (but they taste great), green peppers, raspberries and asparagus. I think that the potatoes are almost ready and some of our cherry tomatoes are orange. The other tomatoes are still green. Oh yeah and a butternut squash is almost ready! Pumkins, watermelon and corn are getting there! Somehow missed the broccoli and am going to start canning beets tomorrow! YUMMY YUMMY IN MY TUMMY!

Mickey Fanatic said:
We've had cukes coming out our ears (but they taste great), green peppers, raspberries and asparagus. I think that the potatoes are almost ready and some of our cherry tomatoes are orange. The other tomatoes are still green. Oh yeah and a butternut squash is almost ready! Pumkins, watermelon and corn are getting there! Somehow missed the broccoli and am going to start canning beets tomorrow! YUMMY YUMMY IN MY TUMMY!

That's a great havest!
PS. I do like the picture of your dog!

Lots of peppers and cucumbers so far.

My tomatoes are cracking/splitting on top anybody know what might be causing this?

bobbiwoz said:
That's a great havest!
PS. I do like the picture of your dog!

Thanks bobbiwoz. We were happy with it since it was our first try at veggie gardening. We learned a lot about layout this year though.

Thanks for noticing my dog. He is my baby!

How bout a little brag?
Best in show NJ State Fair/Sussex County Farm and Horse Show - yellow Spanish onion

Coupla blue ribbons for garlic

Other ribbons for red onions, other garlic, cayenne peppers.

Brag over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter