Status
Not open for further replies.
Um...not exactly in the sense you've suggested. You are correct that the point of ADA is to make things equally accessible without additional charge. If DAS-users want Genie+ they need to pay for it like everyone else. DAS is not intended to be an equal to Genie+ so technically it's incorrect to say "Genie+ allows X so DAS must be allowed that too." There could be a restriction on DAS use, but that is highly unlikely; I honestly can't imagine Disney IT managing that even if they wanted.
My point is, they literally advertise Genie+ allows you both expedited access and the ability to be in two lines at once. A lawsuit could absolutely argue that DAS should be offered both to be considered equal access without having to pay.

Not having multiple times or anything, just the ability to have a return time and be on another ride.

My point is, they literally advertise Genie+ allows you both expedited access and the ability to be in two lines at once. A lawsuit could absolutely argue that DAS should be offered both to be considered equal access without having to pay.

Not having multiple times or anything, just the ability to have a return time and be on another ride.

Only if people with disabilities aren't allowed to use the Genie+, as it is, they can get equal access to what Genie+ offers by using Genie+.

Please keep in mind that all sorts of people utilize DAS for all sorts of reasons. Some days are better than others; some hours are better than other; some weather is better - there are so may component pieces to this puzzle. I'm sad that some people abuse the system, which means that the first time my newly diagnosed 18 year old had to call in from college to apply, she ended up berated and in tears with an untrained Cast Member accusing her of trying to cheat the system. Never mind that she lost conciousness on Splash Mountain when the DAS didn't work as it should have.

We were Annual Passholders for years, and always followed the rules pre-diagnosis - and never begrudged those who needed it. This system doesn't allow ANY advantage to us (as others have pointed out - we still wait out our times) - but it does allow our family to still experience Disney without risking my child's health/life. Living with a disability for just one day - I wish the people thinking this program is some sort of cheat or hack or advantage would understand what that's like.

Last edited:
"As disappointed as I am to say it, it’s a system that was born to fail as soon as it met an emboldened population where some had reached a level of entitlement strong enough to seek personal gain at morality’s expense."

LOL. To break out my teacher's pen, first, the system has not "failed" by any actual definition. I guess this author means it fails if people get it that she doesn't think need it. The system has stood up to legal scrutiny, and seems to be generally working, which I would call a huge, really pretty amazing success.

Second, what human system is not exploited? I guess she is saying the system should just be gone so it can't be exploited? I'm not really sure what the alternative is here, except for her to choose everyone she deems worthy.

Oh, and in the process, she wants to dismantle American medical privacy laws, which she obviously is unqualified to write about. I'm not sure why she decided to opine on something she is unqualified to even discuss, plus add on a gross clickbait-y title. I don't defend Disney often, but this one is a gross hit piece on something actually going well and following US law. Do better DIS.

This piece is embarrassing to DIS and definitely to this author.

Last edited:
This is false and I would appreciate you NOT spreading false information here or other places. Neither FOP nor RotR can be booked as DAS Advanced Selections. None of the ILL$ can, nor the attractions which were "temporarily" removed from ILL$ status, nor any attraction using VQ.

Nothing said was false, and I think you misread the post.

With DAS you can prebook two rides, and unlike Genie +, you can use DAS to skip the wait on ILL attractions (which you can't do with Genie +). I never said you could pre-book the ILL attractions.

DAS gives the same advantage now as it did with Paper Fastpasses and having to find a blue umbrella for a return time and that is to allow our family to actually enjoy the park. Many times we have struggled with the normal line and be about 10 feet from getting on the ride to have to leave the que for one reason or another.

The only advantage is not having to find a blue umbrella or walk to the attraction to obtain a return time and using the app now.

You can't say that DAS provides no advantage under the current system. Under the current system, the guests who enters with a base ticket must wait in line for every attraction they want to ride. The DAS allows skipping the line without paying for Genie + or ILL. This is why abuse has increased. Under the old system, DAS did not provide an advantage. In the era of paid fastpass, it provides an advantage over those who aren't paying for Genie + or ILL.

With DAS you can prebook two rides, and unlike Genie +, you can use DAS to skip the wait on ILL attractions (which you can't do with Genie +). I never said you could pre-book the ILL attractions.
I don't think people misread the post as you mention prebooking 2 rides "AND CAN USE it on FOP and ROTR"

This was in one sentence and nothing mentioning booking them for a return time.

You stated:
Don’t forget das allows you to pre-book two rides per day, and you can use it on the most popular rides like fop and rotr. They each have pros/cons.

How do you, or this author, know that? It's "abuse" because she doesn't like it? Or it's abuse to use it at all, which I think is where both of you are headed.

This article has no facts, it's all kvetching with no information and with a really gross misunderstanding of US law.

I don't understand where your defensiveness is coming from. Of course I do not think a person who truly qualifies for a DAS is abusing the system by using it.

However, people lying about conditions to get the DAS pass to avoid having to pay for Genie+ or ILL is absolutely abuse, and it is happening. Just ask the cast members how much DAS use has increased since paid fastness was rolled out. Simple human nature would also indicate that it is happening. Trying to pretend like this isn't happening does no one any good.

However, people lying about conditions to get the DAS pass to avoid having to pay for Genie+ or ILL is absolutely abuse, and it is happening. Just ask the cast members how much DAS use has increased since paid fastness was rolled out. Simple human nature would also indicate that it is happening. Trying to pretend like this isn't happening does no one any good.

Even if people are "lying," it doesn't mean the system is failing. Actually, I'm not sure what the actual article is arguing in the word salad.

The system is designed around US law, and that is what it requires. Sure, argue for dismantling privacy laws, but that isn't Disney's decision. Our current system prioritizes privacy, and that's in general, not just at Disney. That's US law, which this author clearly has no knowledge about.

I don't think people misread the post as you mention prebooking 2 rides "AND CAN USE it on FOP and ROTR"

This was in one sentence and nothing mentioning booking them for a return time.

You stated:

Right you can use it (a DAS pass) on FOP and ROTR.

So you can use DAS pass to prebook two rides, and you can use the DAS pass on FOP and ROTR. This is all basic info.

You can't say that DAS provides no advantage under the current system. Under the current system, the guests who enters with a base ticket must wait in line for every attraction they want to ride. The DAS allows skipping the line without paying for Genie + or ILL. This is why abuse has increased. Under the old system, DAS did not provide an advantage. In the era of paid fastpass, it provides an advantage over those who aren't paying for Genie + or ILL.

I never stated it was no advantage. I stated it had a few advantages as you were comparing it to the old fast pass system.

Just because someone has DAS does not mean they are skipping the line. Technically they are still in line they are just not waiting the same place someone else is waiting. This is not a fast pass system they do not jump to the front of the line at a set time. We wait in a more relaxing and calming area and tend to other needs and if we are able to we will then try the ride. I have had several DAS passes that we just did not get to use that day through out the years for one reason or another.

Right you can use it (a DAS pass) on FOP and ROTR.

So you can use DAS pass to prebook two rides, and you can use the DAS pass on FOP and ROTR. This is all basic info.
Again you mentioned nothing about booking a return time for those rides which you absolutely can do.

You were implying that they could be prebooked in advance by your statement.

Don’t forget das allows you to pre-book two rides per day, and you can use it on the most popular rides like fop and rotr. They each have pros/cons.

I know that my opinion will be very unpopular on these boards, but I whole heartedly agree that the DAS process and system is a disaster
Is DAS really a disaster though?

Everyday it aids people. It does what it is supposed to do for them. As for people getting turned down, if they really had a legitimate need they can always try again to clarify any miscommunication. For these people I’d advise spending some time to experience attractions and then return to GS to explain what’s going wrong and how DAS could assist you.

What is so broken to call it a DASaster?

You don't SKIP the line. You can utilize shade, quiet, restrooms, sitting down, eating/drinking, administering medication, or whatever your condition requires and then COME BACK after the wait time has passed, and then ride the attraction. There's no line skipping - and sometimes the DAS line is backed up, resulting in even a longer wait!

I believe the reason it is offered is to prevent another complete outcry like when they changed thinfs up with DAS and got into all the lawsuits several years ago.

Many people felt their disabled children (particularly autistic kids) would freak out not knowing they had "gauranteed rides" like they had in the past with FP+. It was heavily discussed when the new systems were announced actually.

So Disney is doing this as a CYA to avoid further legal entanglements over their DAS program.
That’s a very good point and something I hadn’t considered. I guess they could always just make that their first DAS selection in the park, but perhaps for some people they want the time certainty as well.

And to be clear, I never meant to imply that everyone who uses the pre-selections are scammers. Nor do I begrudge in any way providing accommodations to people that need them. In this world we all need a little more magic in our lives. I apologize if someone interpreted it as such. I just think that it is the feature that provides the greatest incentive for those looking to cheat the system.

Some of these comments sound a lot like people who think DAS Advanced Selections are just FP+. The reality is very different:
  • Many DAS users find they've waited literally hours on the video chat to get approved before they can even request the Advanced Selections; like all day waiting to get through on chat, sometimes multiple days. That's a pretty hefty time commitment for scamming, though not to say it doesn't happen but I think it's a large deterrent.
  • The DAS-holder doesn't get to choose the time, the CM assigning it does that for you and while sometimes you can request a time period (i.e. morning, afternoon, evening) it often is whatever they assign as available.
  • If the time doesn't fit your schedule or conflicts with an ADR, good luck getting it changed as there are probably even fewer options left; YMMV as to whether arriving at the attraction late is accepted.
  • Advanced Selections are restricted to your first park of the day; if you plan to hop and all Advanced Selections are later in the day you are out of luck.
  • The closer you are to the vacation dates the fewer options are available as Advanced Selections, maybe nothing for the attraction you'd like, and there's no checking the other days for availability so you can switch up your schedule.
  • Several recent reports of only allowing up to 7 days of Advanced Selections, and sometimes fewer if some of your dates are more than 30 days out.
So, not to say scamming doesn't happen. There will always be folks who cheat the system -- any system anywhere. But the reality of trying to cheat with this one simply isn't as easy and convenient as it initially sounds.

Even if people are "lying," it doesn't mean the system is failing. Actually, I'm not sure what the actual article is arguing in the word salad.

The system is designed around US law, and that is what it requires. Sure, argue for dismantling privacy laws, but that isn't Disney's decision. Our current system prioritizes privacy, and that's in general, not just at Disney. That's US law, which this author clearly has no knowledge about.
Also, I hate this "people are lying" business.

I'm in an online group for Diabetics at Disney. Many people are regularly denied for DAS because "you should kbow how to manage your diabetes by yourself" and CMs literally tell them "I know its possible because my aunt is diabetic."

There is a crap ton of judgement about diabetes but for some of these people they could not visit without it. This change seems primarily recent as people who have been visiting and using it for years are now facing issues.

So is it lying in all these holy opinions because they don't state diabetes directly to avoid the stigma and judgment?

It's ridiculous honestly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter