Hassle Getting Sandwiches Through TSA In Carry On?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
Are there some new rules concerning food in carry on bags at the old 'Put your shoes in the bin' check point? We have a 5:30 am flight out of PHL on Thurs and we usually bring a large hoagie to split when leaving that early. What do I need to do to make this as painless as possible?

Bill From PA

I guess I'll treat it like our electronics, each item and its associated wires will be in a clear plastic zip lock bag so I'll put the hoagies in a similar thing and toss the bag in a bin.

Bill From PA

Are there some new rules concerning food in carry on bags at the old 'Put your shoes in the bin' check point? We have a 5:30 am flight out of PHL on Thurs and we usually bring a large hoagie to split when leaving that early. What do I need to do to make this as painless as possible?

Bill From PA

I had no problems on this past Thursday (5:30 am flight on sw phl to Orlando) with food in my bag or my shoes needing to go on the belt or my electronics needing to come out other than my laptop. Got to PHL at 4:30am and was at my gate by 4:45 (and curbside checkin started at 3:45 that day for southwest, I asked as I remember someone asking that before on here so you likely can use that if you’ve got your bps)

In Orlando, different story. Saturday was a mess. They don’t tell you to take out your food or electronics before you put your stuff on the belt. They scan your stuff and then pull your bag for additional screening where you wait 20-30 minutes for someone to notice the pile of bags waiting for additional screening, which causes the lines on the security lanes using this procedure to stop moving while those of us waiting for secondary screening stand “patiently” waiting for someone to notice. I had plenty of food in my bag going to Orlando and not one issue. I had a pack of crackers in my backpack coming home on Saturday and got in the line at 11:30 and got to my gate at 1:20.

I had no problems on this past Thursday (5:30 am flight on sw phl to Orlando) with food in my bag or my shoes needing to go on the belt or my electronics needing to come out other than my laptop. Got to PHL at 4:30am and was at my gate by 4:45 (and curbside checkin started at 3:45 that day for southwest, I asked as I remember someone asking that before on here so you likely can use that if you’ve got your bps)

In Orlando, different story. Saturday was a mess. They don’t tell you to take out your food or electronics before you put your stuff on the belt. They scan your stuff and then pull your bag for additional screening where you wait 20-30 minutes for someone to notice the pile of bags waiting for additional screening, which causes the lines on the security lanes using this procedure to stop moving while those of us waiting for secondary screening stand “patiently” waiting for someone to notice. I had plenty of food in my bag going to Orlando and not one issue. I had a pack of crackers in my backpack coming home on Saturday and got in the line at 11:30 and got to my gate at 1:20.

First, thanks to all who offered insight. I'm grateful for this narrative of how the SW 5:30 am flight from PHL went. I've never come close to missing a flight but I'm paranoid about it none the less. Wifey and I planned on being at the Sheraton 4 points shuttle by 3 ish, I'd really like to do the curb side when they open and just get to the gate with as little aggravation as possible. Our vacation starts at the gate as we're sending 4 checked bags via DME but renting a car for our grocery stop. Not concerned with the MCO/PHL leg, we like to get there early and have a drink or 3 before the flight.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter