• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have any other DVC owners lost their points because of Disney's closures?

DVCM can adjust the rules as they need to balance the system, as long as whatever they do does not violate current Florida Timeshare laws,

So, they could decide to allow late banking for April and June. They might be able to allow banked points a bit of a longer shelf life based on lose of use due to closures...or, they could decide to just stop allowing any rule changes once a date of opening is announced,

We really are in a wait and see. Right now, I see those with Aug UY in a tight spot If they have reservations in place.

They have to cancel by today to bank and get the borrowing exception since those are still options. Waiting could cost them ic rules stay in place for banking and are reversed for borrowing

I’m not familiar with FL timeshare laws do you know why they just can’t extend the already banked 2019 points for one more year?

Reason for asking is that HGVC just informed their owners yesterday that any points saved (same as banked) from 2019 to 2020 will be extended through 2021.

my assumption is that DVC and HGVC both need to play by the same set of rules right?

How about they let you spread your expiring points over next day 5 years then you won’t overload everything. They could maybe also offer people with cancelled trips a better deal on larger rooms that sometimes aren’t rented out. I know some people are saying well too bad but in reality there needs some consideration for those that are losing out on trips. I planned my trip 8 months ago and saved up points to be able to do a trip I have wanted to take as a kid at the Polynesian!!! So I planned accordingly to take a smaller trip last year then a longer trip at the Poly so I am screwed.

I will play devils advocate. Why should someone with expiring points get any longer of an extension on those points other than the actual lose of days due to resort closure?

If points expired March 31st, then I would say they owner get to book with them for 2 weeks after the resorts open, since that was the life left on those points.

I’m not familiar with FL timeshare laws do you know why they just can’t extend the already banked 2019 points for one more year?

Reason for asking is that HGVC just informed their owners yesterday that any points saved (same as banked) from 2019 to 2020 will be extended through 2021.

my assumption is that DVC and HGVC both need to play by the same set of rules right?

Points based timeshare attach points to inventory and must keep the system balanced, They have to create points charts that reflect an accurate way.

That is why I said it may not be a legal...not that it is definitely not legal. It also depends on where that no banking twice rule is in the context of our POS too,

That club may have been able to make that determination based on the number of resorts in their club, which, I believe, are all over the US, not just Florida,

DVC has only 15 resorts to work with, which makes decision not one size fits all. Plus, HGCV may not be experiencing closure at all of their resorts, which means they haven’t lost all inventory.

DVC resorts did. I think this is why DVC has not come up with a policy...too many factors to deal with and they need to get it right

If the majority of there owners would benefit (be in the best interest) then it would likely be OK with FL statute, though there could still be individual program issues Basically if more than 50% of members have points that qualify then it might be OK.

While I have not seen recent data, DVC has a significantly higher member occupancy rate than other timeshare systems

August use year. We became members in May 2019 (100 pts) and in (ctober 2019 we added on a small 25 pt contract. Both purchases were direct. We got 2018 and 2019 points for the first purchase and used the 100 2018 and 50 of the 2019 points for a "welcome home" booking at BCV (we purchased AKV) in September 2019. That left us with 50 points for 2019. I did not bank the points into 2020. I made a reservation for May 2020 using the 50 points from 2019, borrowed 100 from 2020 and we added the new contract and so i used the 25 points for 2019 and 25 points for 2020. We bought the 25 point add on because we were taking more people and wanted a 2br villa at CC.

Since we have such small contracts, we probably will never bank but as you can see by my previous statements, we will borrow.

Our trip using the DVC points starts May 24. I really want to wait it out (and the CM on chat said in her opinion she would wait it out) but i do not want to lose the points. Oh yea, i also bought 20 OTU points for the May trip. The chat person the DVC site said they "probably" would be banked????? I would think they would be refunded for the price I paid for them since I bought them directly.

I know several posters have stated that people with August UY and later should have no exceptions since they are "on notice". I must disagree. If any exceptions are made to the rule due to this pandemic then it should include EVERYONE that is affected. I don't think any of us should lose the use of our points because if we could not use them due to resorts being closed then they need to resolve the issue so that we are impacted very little or not at all.

I am a new owner. I do not have any expertise at all. We rented many times through David's before we decided to buy. We don't have nearly as much to lose as some on here but I don't want anyone to lose and i don't think people should say that just because August UY and later are on notice that they should sacrifice their points or their reservation in case they open by May.

I hope we are all made whole if our trips get or have been canceled.

August use year. We became members in May 2019 (100 pts) and in (ctober 2019 we added on a small 25 pt contract. Both purchases were direct. We got 2018 and 2019 points for the first purchase and used the 100 2018 and 50 of the 2019 points for a "welcome home" booking at BCV (we purchased AKV) in September 2019. That left us with 50 points for 2019. I did not bank the points into 2020. I made a reservation for May 2020 using the 50 points from 2019, borrowed 100 from 2020 and we added the new contract and so i used the 25 points for 2019 and 25 points for 2020. We bought the 25 point add on because we were taking more people and wanted a 2br villa at CC.

Since we have such small contracts, we probably will never bank but as you can see by my previous statements, we will borrow.

Our trip using the DVC points starts May 24. I really want to wait it out (and the CM on chat said in her opinion she would wait it out) but i do not want to lose the points. Oh yea, i also bought 20 OTU points for the May trip. The chat person the DVC site said they "probably" would be banked????? I would think they would be refunded for the price I paid for them since I bought them directly.

I know several posters have stated that people with August UY and later should have no exceptions since they are "on notice". I must disagree. If any exceptions are made to the rule due to this pandemic then it should include EVERYONE that is affected. I don't think any of us should lose the use of our points because if we could not use them due to resorts being closed then they need to resolve the issue so that we are impacted very little or not at all.

I am a new owner. I do not have any expertise at all. We rented many times through David's before we decided to buy. We don't have nearly as much to lose as some on here but I don't want anyone to lose and i don't think people should say that just because August UY and later are on notice that they should sacrifice their points or their reservation in case they open by May.

I hope we are all made whole if our trips get or have been canceled.

The newest email says OTU points are not being refunded and current rules apply.

I get what you are saying, but DVCM will be looking at the entire situation and it is a real possibility that if they allow late banking, it could exclude people who can still cancel.

Its why it’s tricky because they can change rules anytime and there is nothing, if they believe extending the rule to all will cause further imbalance, that says they can’t change,

I think the longer this goes on, and more points become at risk beyond their banking window, I personally think it means it is LESS likely that rules for banking will be changed.

As of today, it’s April and June UY. Starting tomorrow, it’s April, June, and Aug UY. By May 1st, you are now talking allowing half of the 8 UYs to qualify for late banking.

That could be way too many points and I just can’t see it.

Given that the cash resorts are not taking reservations until June 1st, they are not selling tickets for start dates before June 1st, and have canceled events happening in May, it’s a pretty good indication that resort opening prior to June 1st is highly unlikely.

If I was in your shoes, I would cancel and preserve my points when you know you can.

I’m a new owner too and I did a ton of research. All of the advice said, don’t travel too close to the end of your use year and try to be in borrowing mode instead of banking mode. No one saw coronavirus coming, but I think that advice helped me in this situation.

A person’s reaction to this is going to depend how well they understand timeshares and the DVC product. I think it’s very nice that DVC is trying to figure this out for owners. They really don’t have to.

I also knew timeshares have a ton of risk. I lost my March reservation and probably won’t be able to go when I rescheduled in June. My husband can’t get other days off in summer and since I’m a teacher I won’t be able to go for the rest of the year.

I’m nervous. I’m upset. I get it. At the same time, I knew 100 percent what I was getting into with DVC.

At the end of the day, I’d rather lose my points than my job or health or life. I hope points are all anyone here stands to lose. ❤️

The newest email says OTU points are not being refunded and current rules apply.

I get what you are saying, but DVCM will be looking at the entire situation and it is a real possibility that if they allow late banking, it could exclude people who can still cancel.

Its why it’s tricky because they can change rules anytime and there is nothing, if they believe extending the rule to all will cause further imbalance, that says they can’t change,

I think the longer this goes on, and more points become at risk beyond their banking window, I personally think it means it is LESS likely that rules for banking will be changed.

As of today, it’s April and June UY. Starting tomorrow, it’s April, June, and Aug UY. By May 1st, you are now talking allowing half of the 8 UYs to qualify for late banking.

That could be way too many points and I just can’t see it.

Given that the cash resorts are not taking reservations until June 1st, they are not selling tickets for start dates before June 1st, and have canceled events happening in May, it’s a pretty good indication that resort opening prior to June 1st is highly unlikely.

If I was in your shoes, I would cancel and preserve my points when you know you can.
So, for those that lost the points for March/April trips from banking 2018 and using 2019 they should just say oh well?? They -the owners- are not going to do that. That also means that those of us who have May and June bookings will also deserve any accommodation that the earlier UYs received. If DVCM changes the rules for one then they must change it for all. Because a change is a change. An exception or whatever. I understand that the large number of points could overload the system. I also know that if you buy something then you are entitled to its full use. I am not here to argue the point. there is no reason to do that. I will take it up with DVCM if I need to do so.

My previous post was to state that the exception if any should be for ANYONE who has a trip booked and it get canceled due to the resorts closing. As for OTU points, if i paid via Debit card then they should give it back to me on my debit card. That is a different matter altogether. I could not use them therefore they should refund them.

All the best. stay safe.

June UY. Have been doing Star Wars Race weekend since it began. This year, obviously it is canceled, also turns out to be the only year the entire family was going with me.
Unless something changes, I will be losing 127 or 198 points, 71 were borrowed and will go back into next year.

Can't bank them only put them in RCI if I want. Past the banking time for me so I will wait until last day and see if they make any changes before putting them in RCI.
It stinks but it is what it is, I have never lost points before, been a member since 1998.

They are canceling me and not allowing me to bank, I get it is due to a pandemic, wouldn't mind if even the half points being banked, doubt that will happen.

The problem really is if making exceptions benefits the majority of owners. In all likelihood, it doesn't, particularly if it creates inventory issues for 2+ years.

The problem really is if making exceptions benefits the majority of owners. In all likelihood, it doesn't, particularly if it creates inventory issues for 2+ years.
Dis has the data, how many people bank points and can easily determine if providing some type of half bank option to members would break the system.

Dis has the data, how many people bank points and can easily determine if providing some type of half bank option to members would break the system.

Right. But from where I sit, I put lots of money on if they decide that doing something about expiring points is not happening, those members are going to claim Disney is lying.

IMHO, rules and effect on inventory aside, the negative PR and negative effect on human psychology this is creating for Disney when folks lose their points is huge. If I was Disney I would rather screw all DVC members by letting people bank etc. than screwing themselves with lost revenue in the near future after everything opens. In my example I stand to lose ~200 points with June UY and if I have to forgo those points I have made up my mind to cancel my Greece Disney cruise costing 20K next year. I'm coming to realize that Disney and their floating petri dish is no different than NCL or RCCL. All these years I have always paid the premium for Disney thinking they were different but its times like these they have to separate themselves from the other travel providers!

So, for those that lost the points for March/April trips from banking 2018 and using 2019 they should just say oh well?? They -the owners- are not going to do that. That also means that those of us who have May and June bookings will also deserve any accommodation that the earlier UYs received. If DVCM changes the rules for one then they must change it for all. Because a change is a change. An exception or whatever. I understand that the large number of points could overload the system. I also know that if you buy something then you are entitled to its full use. I am not here to argue the point. there is no reason to do that. I will take it up with DVCM if I need to do so.

My previous post was to state that the exception if any should be for ANYONE who has a trip booked and it get canceled due to the resorts closing. As for OTU points, if i paid via Debit card then they should give it back to me on my debit card. That is a different matter altogether. I could not use them therefore they should refund them.

All the best. stay safe.

I was simply responding that, whether we like it or not as owners, we are bound by the terms of the contract and what it says,

DVCM can adjust rules on an as need basis, We agree to that when we bought There is nothing in there that requires them to apply all rules exactly the same if you are dealing with different points,

We may not like the decision, but to say that if they do X, they have to apply it to all. They don’t. They would not be in breach of contract with that decision.

This isn’t meant to preach, but I think it’s important the owners recognize what can happen, and not what they think should happen.

So, yes, DVCM could decide to say...expiring points stay expired, we will only bank late April and June Uy because they had no chance to minimize their loss, and no longer return borrowed points because we evaluated the system, and this is what is needed to meet our obligations to keep the system in balance.

Will they? None of us knows but the above situation is perfectly within the powers they have.

As a new DVC owner, I wanted to give you more detailed information that I thought would be helpful to your decision.

Last edited:

They do have the data and that is why they can’t yet make the decision regarding expiring points. That is still unknown

Like I said above, right now it’s April and June UY beyond banking deadline. If we stay closed through May 1st, you have 4 out of 8 UYs who would beyond banking deadline.

Way too early for them to figure it out. Unfortunately, I am no longer confident about the outcome, but also hoping that if I assume the worst, then the opposite will happen! That tends to be my luck..which, in this case, ...would be a good thing!

Last edited:
IMHO, rules and effect on inventory aside, the negative PR and negative effect on human psychology this is creating for Disney when folks lose their points is huge. If I was Disney I would rather screw all DVC members by letting people bank etc. than screwing themselves with lost revenue in the near future after everything opens. In my example I stand to lose ~200 points with June UY and if I have to forgo those points I have made up my mind to cancel my Greece Disney cruise costing 20K next year. I'm coming to realize that Disney and their floating petri dish is no different than NCL or RCCL. All these years I have always paid the premium for Disney thinking they were different but its times like these they have to separate themselves from the other travel providers!

The only problem with that action is that they still have to make sure it works and doesn’t affect availability later, because that IS a requirement of Florida Timeshare Law.

So, if they want to make it so no owners points expire, knowing it will overwhelm the system, and can’t explain how it doesn’t, owners could file a complaint that they have failed in their responsibility to manage the system correctly, PR nightmare or not.

I agree with Sandisw, I think the thing is some members myself included, do not mind that we could lose points during an unprecedented event based on what our contract is, as we agreed to that when we signed on. I would however be upset if they screw all of us to make exceptions from the contract for some. If they can make adjustments that does not adversely affect others, I am fine with that. I am also fine with losing points if it is within the dictates of the contract.

DVCM can adjust the rules as they need to balance the system, as long as whatever they do does not violate current Florida Timeshare laws,

So, they could decide to allow late banking for April and June. They might be able to allow banked points a bit of a longer shelf life based on lose of use due to closures...or, they could decide to just stop allowing any rule changes once a date of opening is announced,

We really are in a wait and see. Right now, I see those with Aug UY in a tight spot If they have reservations in place.

They have to cancel by today to bank and get the borrowing exception since those are still options. Waiting could cost them ic rules stay in place for banking and are reversed for borrowing
I see myself in a tighter spot as I do not have that option today. :(

I don’t think borrowing is the same big problem as banking is. So they might only suspend the banking and not the borrowing. However I think they will suspend both.
I think in my case it is. If they allow people to borrow they are taking inventory away from what could be left open for those of us trying to use our 2019 points. If they are trying to make sure the inventory isn't flooded because of people who were allowed to bank their 2019 points when their resv were cancelled then why would they allow folks to borrow to make yet a tighter market?

I see myself in a tighter spot as I do not have that option today. :(

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Those that are already past banking window are stuck, so your choice, unfortunately is out of your control.

What I was referring to is that Aug UY members with reservations have to decide whether to cancel and bank or keep the reservations and risk points since that makes them now stuck just like you,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter