Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The J&J vaccines have come to Ohio. I was able to get two appointments this morning - one for my mom tomorrow (about an hour's drive for her), and one for one of my aunts on Tuesday (about a 90-minute drive). But they're willing to drive a little further since it's just one time. Both are through CVS...I was on their website at 6:30AM this morning and ended up waiting about 1.5 hours to make the first appointment. My mom informed me that two of my uncles (her brothers) have said they will not be getting the vaccine...I am disappointed because they both have pre-existing health conditions, but I'm not entirely surprised at the same time.

There's some confusion over the J&J vaccine and the reported efficacy. Public health officials are saying to take whatever one can get, but there's still a lot of of confusion including some government leaders talking about a preference for other vaccines on the premise that they're better.

LANSING, Mich. -- Detroit this week turned down 6,200 doses of the newly authorized Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine, with Mayor Mike Duggan favoring shots from Pfizer and Moderna for now.​
“Johnson & Johnson is a very good vaccine. Moderna and Pfizer are the best,” he said Thursday. “And I am going to do everything I can to make sure that residents of the city of Detroit get the best.”​
Duggan said the allotment of 29,000 Pfizer and Moderna doses “covered everyone who wanted a vaccination this week." On Friday, he said the city will accept J&J vaccines in the state's next allocation, calling them "a key part of our expansion of vaccine centers.”​

There's some confusion over the J&J vaccine and the reported efficacy. Public health officials are saying to take whatever one can get, but there's still a lot of of confusion including some government leaders talking about a preference for other vaccines on the premise that they're better.

LANSING, Mich. -- Detroit this week turned down 6,200 doses of the newly authorized Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine, with Mayor Mike Duggan favoring shots from Pfizer and Moderna for now.​
“Johnson & Johnson is a very good vaccine. Moderna and Pfizer are the best,” he said Thursday. “And I am going to do everything I can to make sure that residents of the city of Detroit get the best.”​
Duggan said the allotment of 29,000 Pfizer and Moderna doses “covered everyone who wanted a vaccination this week." On Friday, he said the city will accept J&J vaccines in the state's next allocation, calling them "a key part of our expansion of vaccine centers.”​
Yeah, my dad seems to think like the mayor you're quoting. I didn't feel like trying to convince him that it's a good option, he seems pretty dead-set against it.

I know that it's pretty much equally effective at preventing severe cases of COVID and that the trials for J&J were different vs. Moderna and Pfizer because of when the variants started spreading. But he (like most, I guess) sees the 72% vs. 94/95% and says "pass."

My mom, on the other hand, seemed pretty happy about it - "Oh, I get it over with tomorrow and that's it? Great."

Dang, can Detroit send it east, b/c I'll totally take J&J:)...or Pfizer or Moderna or AZ (probably in that order:))...

So brother, Rob was still feeling lethargic and every bone in his body ached when he came over for coffee this morning. I told him he hopefully will be feeling better by the end of today. He's 60 btw.

Brother 2 (the one getting the Pfiser) also came over today with a low grade fever and feeling like he had gotten run over by a bus. He had had Covid around Christmastime and tho he felt sick (with annoying cold symtoms and lost of taste and smell) he said he was a LOT sicker with this 2nd shot. He's 55.

Thus big sister (me) was here to take care of them as a big sister would. :love:

The body aches I had with my 2nd Moderna were no joke. Even my ankles hurt.

OK, 2 hours post 2d Pfizer shot. Again, a slight metallic taste in my mouth about 20 minutes out from shot, but that's dissipating. The nurse put the shot in a slightly different place in my upper arm, and, unlike the first, didn't feel a thing and there seems to be no pain (yet).

One thing I noticed, may or may not be connected, but I have really bad arthritis in my right hip. So much that I can't move it naturally and it's painful standing up. Following both shots, there's no pain and I can walk normally ???? It lasted a couple of days last time, but the "normal" pain and stiffness did return.

Nurse told me to drink plenty of water, and, if I felt like I needed a nap, to take one.

Our state opened vaccines to age 50 and over yesterday.

I called to be put on a waiting list with our local hospital this morning. They said 'We have openings today.'

So dh and I got our 1st Pfizer shot this afternoon. 2nd dose same time and place in 3 weeks!

So exciting, and such a relief !

June Disney trip here we come.

Last edited:
Ok J&J people let me know how you’re doing! I have an appointment at CVS on Sunday. I was so excited to get the appointment and now I’m really nervous.

....or let us know. It will be interesting to get that review now. Good luck to you. :goodvibes:

That's about the last thing we need right now -- grandstanding politicians trying to cherry-pick vaccines. 👎

You'll do just fine. I would not really trust the medical expertise of a mayor of a city as compared to the top infectious disease people probably in the world.

I think a lot of the public just doesn't understand that these numbers for efficacy aren't really that equivalent for any number of reasons. They're suppose to be compared to a simultaneous control group and not each other. Right now we don't know how they might have fared if the testing was done at the same time with similar groups.

The best way I would describe the feeling the day after my first Pfizer shot would be as though I had consumed just a little too much alcohol the previous night. Slightly tired, slightly “off”, very mild headache. But all gone the next day (age 55).

Some say that it's just working. Viruses can affect the body two ways. One is to cause a lot of cellular damage by reproducing, where they destroy the cell in the process. However, quite a few viral illnesses such as the common cold are pretty mild and cause little damage to cells, but it's all the stuff that the body throws at the virus causes damage on its own.

I heard COVID-19 does a little of both depending on the person. Some have extremely mild infections without much damage. Some have severe cellular damage. Others have had immune responses on overdrive. It seems to be tricky because of how many ways the symptoms manifest. There's no single way to treat it.

But the vaccine is trying to trick the body into thinking it's infected, so you might come down with a lot of the symptoms that people infected with the real virus might have.

Husband and I both got our first shots this afternoon, we ended up with Pfizer and not the Moderna we thought we were getting. No matter, happy to get anything. My arm a bit sore, nothing much at all. Husband had a slight metalic taste in mouth earlier. We are 6 hours post first shot, and have our appointment for our second in 3 weeks. Glad second shot will be on a Friday afternoon but - would have taken it any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter