Helicopter Noise

Men in Black in Helicopters in Black. A lot of Aliens probably visit Disney out of Area 51.
I know they search for gators, lost kids and the occasional criminal with helicopters. But they are also deep into construction at both epcot and MK. the tourists copters I have not seen so close. also, there are a bunch of corporate guys here, relocating from CA. maybe that has something to do with it?

the NFZ went into place about 3 hrs post 9-11 and has been in place ever since.
Actually I believe there was quite a time period between the two events, not that it matters or has anything to do with the current situation.

nope, we were there. no airlines in the air, they were all grounded, and there were lots of military staying at our hotel, they got pulled out the next early morning, disney supplied buses to get them to either Mcdill, or mayport. We found out through one the those families. That No fly over disney went up as the ground all planes order went up . they were afraid both WDW and DL could have been targets.

nope, we were there. no airlines in the air, they were all grounded, and there were lots of military staying at our hotel, they got pulled out the next early morning, disney supplied buses to get them to either Mcdill, or mayport. We found out through one the those families. That No fly over disney went up as the ground all planes order went up . they were afraid both WDW and DL could have been targets.
Well yes, but that’s because the entire airspace, across the entire country was shut down.

It had nothing to do with the WDW TFR.

source: From a captain of a major airline. Me.

Not that it matters to the airlines, but we are in the loop.
Plus I was flying in the corporate world at the time of the TFR.

Last edited:
Can’t recall exactly, but I believe the entire air travel was shut down for roughly three days. It gradually opened after that if I recall correctly. I remember armed military with machine guns guarding the gates.

Maybe people have gotten creative and are doing their own Soarin' ride? "Soarin' over Walt DisneyWorld" in a real helicopter is probably a lot cheaper than trying to vacation there these days.:confused3

Well yes, but that’s because the entire airspace, across the entire country was shut down.

It had nothing to do with the WDW TFR.

source: From a captain of a major airline. Me.

Not that it matters to the airlines, but we are in the loop.
Plus I was flying in the corporate world at the time of the TFR.
you should re read what I posted, I was pretty clear on the who why where what etc.

Is there nothing anyone can post on here without having to defend one's self, or get into an argument? I guess not.

Seems that way. Last word and all that. Getting back to the original point of this thread, the constant helicopter noise is extremely loud....it’s not the sheriff looking for kids and it’s not Disney doing surveys. It is tour helicopters. It’s awful at the Boardwalk pool and Riviera.....the shape of the resorts corrals the noise. Don’t know if anything can be done, but they do come awfully close and it is very unnerving.

I noticed the helicopters on our last trip the first week of May. Stayed at SSR and the noise and repetitive traffic pattern was very annoying. I worked remotely two days on the trip and had planned to do so on the balcony off of our villa and I actually had to go back inside after 10 min or so because of the noise. I looked the heli up on an airplane identifier app and it looked like a private helicopter. What was confusing is that it just circled the same path over and over again. It flew over SSR, the edge of DS, and also OKW I believe. The repetitive pattern made me think it wasn't a tourist helicopter. If I were a tourist, I wouldn't want to circle over the same view 20x in a row.... But who knows... sounds like we'll never know...

I noticed the helicopters on our last trip the first week of May. Stayed at SSR and the noise and repetitive traffic pattern was very annoying. I worked remotely two days on the trip and had planned to do so on the balcony off of our villa and I actually had to go back inside after 10 min or so because of the noise. I looked the heli up on an airplane identifier app and it looked like a private helicopter. What was confusing is that it just circled the same path over and over again. It flew over SSR, the edge of DS, and also OKW I believe. The repetitive pattern made me think it wasn't a tourist helicopter. If I were a tourist, I wouldn't want to circle over the same view 20x in a row.... But who knows... sounds like we'll never know...
I would think that could be reported? I mean, thanks for the heads up. won't be staying there.

I would think that could be reported? I mean, thanks for the heads up. won't be staying there.
The first thought that came to my mind was that it was for security. Why else would a heli circle for hours on end on Disney property? Security. Or maybe they're filming for the next Soarin video. :dogdance: I didn't feel the need to report anything. The thing was so darn loud, it was hard to miss. I assumed Disney was well aware of the heli(s).

I wouldn't let this affect your decision at a resort. Note that we were staying in an area very close to DS (I think the heli was mainly flying over DS); the other sections of SSR wouldn't be affected. Not to mention, previous posters mentioned that there was heli/plane noise over the Boardwalk... I should also tell you that we experienced constant heli & drone noise when we were at Aulani, but we were there when they were filming American Idol and they needed to do what they needed to do to keep us all (celebs, non celebs, guests, non guests, audience) safe. I applaud Disney's efforts to keep us safe. At the end of the day, the heli/plane noise didn't make or break our vacation.

Altho that being said, SSR is now one of my top fave resorts post-reno and proximity to incredible DS. I need to stop being a walking ad for SSR on the disboards. So yes, LPnerd - stay away! It's terrible there. SUPER noisy & those darn helis!

The first thought that came to my mind was that it was for security. Why else would a heli circle for hours on end on Disney property? Security. Or maybe they're filming for the next Soarin video. :dogdance: I didn't feel the need to report anything. The thing was so darn loud, it was hard to miss. I assumed Disney was well aware of the heli(s).

I wouldn't let this affect your decision at a resort. Note that we were staying in an area very close to DS (I think the heli was mainly flying over DS); the other sections of SSR wouldn't be affected. Not to mention, previous posters mentioned that there was heli/plane noise over the Boardwalk... I should also tell you that we experienced constant heli & drone noise when we were at Aulani, but we were there when they were filming American Idol and they needed to do what they needed to do to keep us all (celebs, non celebs, guests, non guests, audience) safe. I applaud Disney's efforts to keep us safe. At the end of the day, the heli/plane noise didn't make or break our vacation.

Altho that being said, SSR is now one of my top fave resorts post-reno and proximity to incredible DS. I need to stop being a walking ad for SSR on the disboards. So yes, LPnerd - stay away! It's terrible there. SUPER noisy & those darn helis!
LOL, I'm not a fan of the HUGE resorts as walking at the parks all day, then so far to hotel and back to pool etc is too much for these old legs. your resort is safe from me. I have stayed there in the past and I totally get why so many love it.

LOL, I'm not a fan of the HUGE resorts as walking at the parks all day, then so far to hotel and back to pool etc is too much for these old legs. your resort is safe from me. I have stayed there in the past and I totally get why so many love it.
Totally understand. I don't have old legs and a WDW vacation is incredibly taxing to me. I'm always shocked when I see people at the Fitness Centers or talking about them on the DisBoards. I'm like - 24,000 steps a day and sweating in the FL heat / humidity isn't enough?!

Did a little research....there are at least 5 helicopter tour companies all in the vicinity of WDW. Rides average from 6 minutes to 30 minutes. Get a birds eye view of Epcot, Hollywood, AK, Typhoon Lagoon (no MK). So five companies, every 5 or ten, 15 minutes. Do the math. Unless you’ve experienced the noise, you really have no idea how bad it is. And probably not a thing can be done about it.

Did a little research....there are at least 5 helicopter tour companies all in the vicinity of WDW. Rides average from 6 minutes to 30 minutes. Get a birds eye view of Epcot, Hollywood, AK, Typhoon Lagoon (no MK). So five companies, every 5 or ten, 15 minutes. Do the math. Unless you’ve experienced the noise, you really have no idea how bad it is. And probably not a thing can be done about it.
Hence why we haven't had to deal as we typically stay at BLT unless we can't. Great post and info, thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter