~*~HELP~*~ Need advice using points on cruise

shari2shop

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's
I can't seem to use my DVC points!!! I was waitlisted for Thanksgiving ressies but they did not come through so I banked my 2008 points (I guess I'll just loose my 25 2007 points I had banked). My use year is March and I'm a teacher so I know I can't go until next summer. I hate WDW in summer so I'm thinking maybe a summer cruise. I will have 125 2008 banked, 125 2009 points and can borrow 125 2010 points. So basically I have 375 points. I know my 2 kids (9 & 11) and I can go but I'm not sure if my hubby would be joining us.

How do I do this using points? (I know it is not wise point wise to do a cruise with points but I need to use my points)

Can I book the kids and myself and add someone else later? If I added another adult later would my kid remain as the second adult and the added adult be put as the 4th person? Or would they adjust adults/kids?

Can I book one or two people with points and pay cash for the others?

I'm sure I'm not thinking about other things so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
:wave:
Shari

We've booked DCL cruises before with DVC points. I'm of the opinion that it's not a bad use of points, given that DCL includes lodging, entertainment (shows) and meals/drinks (not alcohol though). DVC at WDW means you still have to pay for park tickets and dining.

Anyway, you can book a DCL cruise 100% with points, or a partial use of points and cash. This is what we did for our upcoming January cruise (two adults, one kid with points, one kid with cash). Also, there is a $95 transfer fee. Additionally, using points does not include ground transfers or cruise insurance. Both are available for purchase.

We've booked DCL cruises before with DVC points. I'm of the opinion that it's not a bad use of points, given that DCL includes lodging, entertainment (shows) and meals/drinks (not alcohol though). DVC at WDW means you still have to pay for park tickets and dining.
What is included or not on the cruise has no bearing on whether it is a good use of points in my evaluation of points vs cash for a cruise. I look at the cash cost of the cruise and if it is less than the points cost multiplied by $10 per point, I pay cash. That has always been the case. To GET the cash, I may transfer (haven't rented them yet) my points to another member at $10 or $11 per point depending on the resort. So far, it has ALWAYS been better for me to pay cash than use points.

I'd suggest you consider the transfer or renting of your points and then booking a cash cruise.

The first two passengers in a stateroom will be charged as adults, regardless of age. Adding a person later can be a problem. Even though there is room inside your stateroom, the ship fills according to lifeboat capacity, dining room occupancy, etc. Also, any changes made such as adding another person later will require an additional $95 fee again to make the change.

Another option . . .

If you decide using your points for a cruse isn't the best use of points (not sure if it is or isn't - I have not looked into this yet), you could use the points that you need to "use or lose" and pay cash for the difference. For example, use the 125 banked 2008 points to pay for what you can and bank the 2009 points and keep the 2010 points. OR use the 2008 and 2009 points but don't borrow the 2010.

FYI - the way the points were explained by my guide when it comes to cruising, you can use a mixture of points and cash, but you have to pay 100% points for that particular person in the group or 100% cash. For example, if the points for 1 adult are 135, you can not use 125 points then pay cash for the remaining 10 points. But you can use points for you and pay cash for the kids. I hope I didn't make that too confusing!

The first two passengers in a stateroom will be charged as adults, regardless of age. Adding a person later can be a problem. Even though there is room inside your stateroom, the ship fills according to lifeboat capacity, dining room occupancy, etc. Also, any changes made such as adding another person later will require an additional $95 fee again to make the change.

To piggy back off this, you may be "safer" to add him now and then remove him later if he decides to not go. By changing the names in the room, you will be charged the $95 fee again.

We have a 2nd cruise scheduled using our points, I don't want the risk or hassle of renting or transferring points out and the cost of our points (initial + maintenance) is still less than the cost out of pocket for paying for the cruise so we like cruising on points.

To piggy back off this, you may be "safer" to add him now and then remove him later if he decides to not go. By changing the names in the room, you will be charged the $95 fee again.

We have a 2nd cruise scheduled using our points, I don't want the risk or hassle of renting or transferring points out and the cost of our points (initial + maintenance) is still less than the cost out of pocket for paying for the cruise so we like cruising on points.

Yes, many folks do this as well. Keep in mind, if you do remove him later you will still be charged the $95 fee again.

We cruise on points also...personal preference as mentioned above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter