Help with flowers under retainer wall

pamouselover

“Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbo
Hi everyone,
I need some help. We have a dogwood that we have not had much luck planting anything under. I have planted salvia, and impatiens one year, and one year petunias. One year snapdragons and impatiens. I tried in the past to give it the Disney theme park flower look with out no success. This year we built an retainer wall around the tree. I insert pic later. I am hoping to have better luck with all the new top soil, and miracle grow dirt.
Any creative ideas. :flower3:

100_2922.jpg

100_2923.jpg

I look at the photos & think "shade plants", but if the Impatiens didn't do well... :confused3

How much sun does the bed get & is it morning or afternoon?

With all that new soil, you should have no problem with impatiens again...at least until the tree roots start invading again.

I'd fill it up with spring-blooming bulbs this fall. Daffodils and grape hyacinths make a dramatic statement, especially the Poetica daffs (Actaea, pheasant-eye). Very bright white, small trumpet with a red edge. Go very well with the strong blue of the grape hyacinths (Muscari). Overplant with perennial cranesbill geraniums (will hide the fading bulb foliage), or annuals like impatiens, or torenia, or wax (fibrous) begonias.

There are many shade perennials that would work in that spot, but they won't flower throughout the season, and that wouldn't give you a "Disney" look.

Hi thanks,
That is what I was thinking. It sloped down before, and each year I lost more dirt.I love impatiens, ther emy favorite. At my old house I could get them to grwo like bushes, even in the sun. I had spring bulbs planted there, and replanted them after we added the new dirt. I love grape hyacinths. We have them everywhere in the yard.Does the cranesbill geraniums bloom all summer?I like things that bloom all summer. I would love to fill it with a perennial that come up every year. I might go with slavia, (if I can found it in any other color but red) and begoinas. I found a picture with margoilds that looked nice, but I am not a big marigold fan.

With all that new soil, you should have no problem with impatiens again...at least until the tree roots start invading again.
I'd fill it up with spring-blooming bulbs this fall. Daffodils and grape hyacinths make a dramatic statement, especially the Poetica daffs (Actaea, pheasant-eye). Very bright white, small trumpet with a red edge. Go very well with the strong blue of the grape hyacinths (Muscari). Overplant with perennial cranesbill geraniums (will hide the fading bulb foliage), or annuals like impatiens, or torenia, or wax (fibrous) begonias.

There are many shade perennials that would work in that spot, but they won't flower throughout the season, and that wouldn't give you a "Disney" look.

Hi thanks,
I would love to fill it with a perennial that come up every year. I might go with slavia, (if I can found it in any other color but red) and begoinas.
Perennial salvia comes in blue, and it blooms much of the summer ( really vigorously in early summer, then again sporadically after cutting it back). "May Night" is a pretty variety...very deep blue/purple.
Unfortunately, cranesbill geraniums only bloom once.

Torenia? anyone know much about it. The stick I brought home with me fromt he nursery says part sun, but I am readin full sun. :flower3:

:thumbsup2 Well I planted some torenia and verbena. It looks nice. Not really the look I was going for. But I was becoming impatient with myself. I might add a couple dusty millers. I post a photo when I get a chance.
Thanks!

Torenia? anyone know much about it. The stick I brought home with me fromt he nursery says part sun, but I am readin full sun. :flower3:

I'd watch torenia in full sun. I have some in the morning sun and it is fine as long as I keep it well watered. Mine is in a container.

Ok, so about two months as pass by....
Here is how the flowers look.Our grass does not look as great as it did in May, do to the lack of rain.
But I have to tell you next I am planting this everywhere!
000_0203.jpg

Your bed looks so pretty! I have this in some of my containers and love it. I bought a lavender version that is not doing as well and will not deviate nexr year. I agree that I will be planting more of this as well!

Beautiful torenia! That worked out well in that spot, didn't it?

I found the picture I took after I planted the flowers today. I knew I took one but could not found where it was saved. :lmao:
So you see how big they get. I have recently pulled the Lantana out. I planted it in some pots that I had petunias in. The beetles got the petunias will we were away at the beach. I love petunias but they just never look pretty through the summer.

100_2978.jpg

WOW! You really did get quite a bit of growth from those plants. It looks georgous. Did you fertilize or go strickly organic?
Did I miss the name of the plant in one of the posts?

Torenia is wonderful in part sun, has a tendency to scorch in full sun.

:thumbsup2 Well I planted some torenia and verbena. It looks nice. Not really the look I was going for. But I was becoming impatient with myself. I might add a couple dusty millers. I post a photo when I get a chance.
Thanks!

I'd watch torenia in full sun. I have some in the morning sun and it is fine as long as I keep it well watered. Mine is in a container.

Beautiful torenia! That worked out well in that spot, didn't it?

Did I miss the name of the plant in one of the posts?
Yes, mudman, yes you did. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter