Rope drop really depends on what is running. Today 7DMT was down at EE open and through regular open. PP went down around 9AM. Pooh was down all EE and through regular open. Big thunder was down at open. Haunted mansion went down some time around 10am. It’s a messy day at the magic kingdom. We are hopping away.
This is our first rope drop this trip. I hope this isn’t how it always is. I remember getting 5 rides in one hour before. Today we got one in thirty minutes.

Rope drop really depends on what is running. Today 7DMT was down at EE open and through regular open. PP went down around 9AM. Pooh was down all EE and through regular open. Big thunder was down at open. Haunted mansion went down some time around 10am. It’s a messy day at the magic kingdom. We are hopping away.
This is our first rope drop this trip. I hope this isn’t how it always is. I remember getting 5 rides in one hour before. Today we got one in thirty minutes.
Honestly that just sounds like bad luck.
We took a long trip to Disneyland a few years (prerona) and did two different early mornings at the California Adventure park. One morning was amazing and we got so much done! Like 5-6 rides! Cars land, most of the pier, ariel, and monsters inc. Another morning the entirety of Cars Land was down, the rollercoaster on the pier was down, and Toy Story was down. It was due to power outages in Cars Land and operational issues with toy story and the roller coaster, we were told.

Sometimes you just get bad luck :(

At least two when we started towards the front of the rope drop pack.
Thank you.

Well, that's one better than this past summer when everything was standby only. Everyone was on the same park opening schedule, and one headliner is all you got before all wait times skyrocketed. It got old FAST having to get up early every morning only to get one ride in with a short(ish) wait. I loathe paying for the inferior G+, but combined with the ETPE I'm hoping we won't be forced to spend soooooooo much time in lines like this past summer.

Dan

Another frustrating day with Genie+...wont be buying again. Same experience as posted above with early afternoon times being available at 7:00 am...again I tappEd on a 9:05 am time only to end up with a 12:15 pm times by time selectoon was processed. Then was able to get an earlier time for PP but the ride broke down and was closed during my time and had received a “multi-selection“ sent to my phone. meanwhile had gotten 2nd LL for HM but that was also closed so went to LM and entered standby 40 min wait. Returned to PP and LL line was a mile long people Mover and Winnie the Pooh also went down. Went back to HM LL line was a mile long. The only rides available for LL within next 2 hr time span had short standby lines anyway...it was just around 2:30 pm and times for JC, SDM, and PP were no longer available so left park at 3 pm with 2 LL multi-selection sitting in MDE. TP crowd level prediction was a 3...NO WAY the place was packed. at 8:30 am this morning during extra Magic hours it was a stampede of hordes of people I don’t know where the cast members were who are supposed to prevent this! Within a few minutes the line to PP was all the way past the front of Philharmonic going toward carousel. Then within an hour PP was closed. Oh also DMT was also down at EMH rope drop so most of those people RAN to PP.
unfortunately between the crazy cold and the big crowds of people this has not been the most enjoyable trip we’ve had!

So I learned and confirmed that if you can't make an ADR within 24 hours you can no longer modify it on the App and cancel however you can still do it in a web browser.
Had an Ogas last night and was able to move to Friday and cancel but not on the app.
A bartender at wilderness lodge provided this tip.
Oh wow. Good to know. Were you able to your use phone web browser to do this? Just go in through MDE on Disney's website?

Oh wow. Good to know. Were you able to your use phone web browser to do this? Just go in through MDE on Disney's website?
Yes. Just got home and withdrawals, Disney and adult beverages, are in full swing. I hope you guys just starting out get better weather than I did....and then to land in arendelle lol up here in NJ.

Today was nice at EPCOT. World Showcase was wall to wall people but we were there for rides for our little one and that worked out great. Weather was still quite cool but in the sun, my short sleeve Tshirt was plenty. Dreading the near-90 forecast I'm seeing for late next week.

Today was nice at EPCOT. World Showcase was wall to wall people but we were there for rides for our little one and that worked out great. Weather was still quite cool but in the sun, my short sleeve Tshirt was plenty. Dreading the near-90 forecast I'm seeing for late next week.
From someone who saw an average temperature of about 55 last week with 3 days of rain I will trade you...your kids will not be shivering while trying to swim. Heated pools do not heat the air haha.

Just got back from staying Club Level at Animal Kingdom Lodge from January 18th - January 28th and wanted to share my two cents!

Pros
Housekeeping - I'm not sure if this is unique to Club Level, AKL, or what the situation was, but we got full daily housekeeping (i.e. sheets changed and bed made everyday, towels replaced even when we had them hung up to reuse, bathroom fully cleaned, etc.) I know there are so many conflicting reports on the current status of housekeeping, but this was our experience.

Genie+ - yes, it sucks to have to pay for it. We added it in advance to our 10 day park hoppers so we had it and used it every day. Honestly, if you know how to use it, it works! We barely waited standby for any rides and still got to do everything we wanted with Genie+ and the individual lightning lanes. The only ride we missed out on was Slinky Dog Dash because we chose to do ROTR on both of our half days at Hollywood Studios (by the time we bought ROTR, SDD was too far out into the evening for us).

Festival of the Arts - we've been to all of the other festivals at Epcot, and this one is hands down the best! We loved all of the art, the booths, everything was so colorful and amazing!

Harmonious - I thought this was an amazing show! Extremely well down, and I think a great replacement to Illuminations. The ONLY thing that bothers me is the barges being out on the World Showcase Lagoon during the day. They are very ugly in my opinion, and the take away from the amazing views of other countries from across the lagoon.

No Dining Plan - we are typically always sucked in to doing the deluxe dining plan, but that wasn't an option this time. We had plenty of gift cards set aside and only had ADRs for dinner each night. Not having three meals a day scheduled was awesome! We could explore quick service lunches, bars and lounges, and weren't forced to eat three sit down meals per day in order to get the most value out of the dining plan.

Cons
Bus Transportation at AKL - this was awful for our stay. We ended up using Uber on several occasions. Disney Springs was the worst - waiting about 45 minutes each time we tried to go then giving up and calling an Uber. One day, late morning, we walked down to catch a bus to Hollywood Studios and there were so many people waiting, one person said they had been waiting over an hour and still no bus.

Construction at Epcot - we knew about it, but all of the constructions walls were much worse than we were anticipating. It took forever to walk anywhere in Epcot because you can't go up through the middle of the park.

Enchantment - I hate to say it, because I wanted to love this show, but I was so disappointed. The projections on Main Street are very cool, but the soundtrack and the fireworks were very disappointing. I didn't feel anything when watching, like I did with Happily Ever After. Just generic Disney soundtracks.

Covid - despite wearing masks and following all of the rules, both of us did test positive for Covid upon returning home. Mild symptoms and we're both doing fine! (Not trying to start any arguments of discussion, just stating our experience).

Overall Thoughts
The magic is still there! We had an amazing trip and definitely will be back. We felt that the experience we had was worth the money that we paid. Yes, things are different. But Disney is still Disney and we were so lucky to be able to go!

From someone who saw an average temperature of about 55 last week with 3 days of rain I will trade you...your kids will not be shivering while trying to swim. Heated pools do not heat the air haha.

Was also there getting rained on and it was miserable 😂 It was cold when we got home but at least we were dry!

Also for the very few people I saw night swimming I was shocked I’m like I know pools are heated but up north no one would consider swimming outdoors in 40 degree weather like…ever.

Obviously ride breakdowns can have a big impact on the rope drop experience.

But, as someone who has made several visits over the last 30 years, I have observed that the pure number of people who are arriving at parks early has increased dramatically, and that increase has accelerated in the last 10 years.

10-15 years ago there were occasionally 7 AM EMH at MK during busy holiday times, and if you were there at 7 there would be no more than a couple hundred people there at most. We could do virtually every major attraction in the park by about 10 AM with very little wait as the park filled with guests and was packed for the rest of the day.

Those days are long gone. The number of people who are willing to get to all of the parks as early as they will be allowed in is MUCH greater than it used to be and, as a result, wait times build up much faster at top attractions.

But, as someone who has made several visits over the last 30 years, I have observed that the pure number of people who are arriving at parks early has increased dramatically, and that increase has accelerated in the last 10 years.

10-15 years ago there were occasionally 7 AM EMH at MK during busy holiday times, and if you were there at 7 there would be no more than a couple hundred people there at most. We could do virtually every major attraction in the park by about 10 AM with very little wait as the park filled with guests and was packed for the rest of the day.

Those days are long gone. The number of people who are willing to get to all of the parks as early as they will be allowed in is MUCH greater than it used to be and, as a result, wait times build up much faster at top attractions.

yes I definitely found this to be true and there are only a few rides opening during the early opening time with hordes of people ... yesterday with several rides down lines both LL and standby were awful Although afternoon sunny skies were welcome. Also the MK crowd was way larger than the #3 predicted by TP.

Just got back from BWI CL 1/27-1/30.

We liked Genie+ for the most part. We were able to get through everything we wanted to in 2.5 days including almost all of the headliners in all four parks. We actually felt like Genie+ and ILL$ gave us more time to explore and be in the moment than ever before. We did Harmonious Dinner Package at R & C and we didn't find the view to be terrible at all (plus the food was excellent). Mousekeeping was hit or miss event though we were CL, but aside from that, we had zero problems with service. We felt well taken care of, and just about every CM we encountered was as friendly and helpful as any other time we've been there with just one exception (and even then, she wasn't unkind...she just didn't know what the heck she was talking about lol).

Bottom Line: There's a lot of negativity out there right now, but I am here to tell you that it is absolutely possible to have a magical, memorable time even thought things are different now. We can't wait to go back this summer!

Do you think part of it might be because of the explosion of Disney-dedicated blogs and social accounts sharing these tips? I feel like I know more than I ever have in this era, 10-15 years ago there weren’t nearly as many resources to share touring tips.

Do you think part of it might be because of the explosion of Disney-dedicated blogs and social accounts sharing these tips? I feel like I know more than I ever have in this era, 10-15 years ago there weren’t nearly as many resources to share touring tips.
There weren’t the crazy crowds either....

The morning crowds are definitely bigger. I don’t think it is a matter of more people overall, just that more people show up earlier than before. After the past two days, I’m down on rope drop as not being worth it anymore.
I’ve been in line for Remy since 9am. It is now 10am and it isn’t running yet. What’s worse is when it finally does go up, they will prioritize LL over standby. I was sort of pro LL before, but the situation I’m in is that this frustrating situation can be solved by throwing money at Disney. It’s a terrible incentive for Disney to benefit from problems they created. Buying LL would absolutely be “worth it”, but it is worth it in the sense that paying a ransom is “worth it.”

We used have have great mornings at Disneyworld. So far this trip we have had 3 awesome evenings and zero good mornings.

I think that is a big part of it.

There were always books trumpeting the value of arriving early but the number of people exposed to social media obviously increases exponentially the number hearing and reacting to that advice.

I also think things like FP+ and messages directly from Disney alerting guests to windows opening for booking reservations caused more people to think about planning ahead instead of just trying to show up and stroll into the park 2 hours after it opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter