For us, I would say it's the lack of FP+. With a park opening at 9:00, we would make our 3 fastpasses at 60 days out for 9-10, 10-11, 11-12. So, as long as we rolled in by 10:00 we were good. Rope drop at MK would only be so we could see the welcome show with the characters pulling in on the train. Genie+, and the 7am one ride luck of the draw, requires you to be there before park opening in order to get those same 3 rides done without paying ILL$, or waiting 45 minutes in line.

I didn’t see anything about this incident but our Disney bus passed an accident involving a Disney bus on Thursday. It looked like the bus had run into back of car. This was over near Swan/Dolphin area.

yes I definitely found this to be true and there are only a few rides opening during the early opening time with hordes of people ... yesterday with several rides down lines both LL and standby were awful Although afternoon sunny skies were welcome. Also the MK crowd was way larger than the #3 predicted by TP.

Yeah you are correct. I just checked and Touring plans predicted a level 3 at Magic Kingdom but ended up being a level 7. normally they are not that far off. I wonder what caused that?

in our experience, anything at a level six or below with touringplans is manageable, and once you get to level 7 and higher you really notice the crowds more.

Dan

For us, I would say it's the lack of FP+. With a park opening at 9:00, we would make our 3 fastpasses at 60 days out for 9-10, 10-11, 11-12. So, as long as we rolled in by 10:00 we were good. Rope drop at MK would only be so we could see the welcome show with the characters pulling in on the train. Genie+, and the 7am one ride luck of the draw, requires you to be there before park opening in order to get those same 3 rides done without paying ILL$, or waiting 45 minutes in line.

You hit the nail on the head. Disney has created higher crowds in the morning now. When you are up at 7 AM to make a Genie plus reservation, I think a lot of people figure they may as well just stay up and go to the park early anyway. Also, I think people got accustomed to it all last year when there was no fast pass. It became a requirement to get to the parks super early in order to just get one headliner with a little wait. Even so you were standing in line in the park 30 minutes before it would open just for that one headliner, sigh. The days of FP+ were just so much better for anyone who wanted to even just put 1 ounce of planning into their Disney trip

Dan

I’m sorry, I’m playing catch-up on reading this thread and don’t understand “both taps.” Would you mind terribly to explain what it means? Thank you!
There is a touch point (the light up Mickey head post) as you enter the official start of the line and a second further through the line

There is a touch point (the light up Mickey head post) as you enter the official start of the line and a second further through the line
Thank you! I know what you’re talking about. I guess I didn’t know people sometimes didn’t tap that second time. Thanks again—

We went last week for a few pre and post cruise days 1/22, 1/29 and 1/30. While I understand we only did weekend days and that adds to the madness/crowds it was a miserable experience. First the fact that the current ticket expiration policy makes it impossible to buy multi-days for pre and post cruise (a 3 day ticket expires in 4 days). Making my 3 days much more expensive then they should have been. Then the parks were very crowded for January. Touring plans had the days listed in the 4 - 6 range which it did not feel, at all, based on line times and walkway crowds. We noticed a bunch of tour groups both kids sports and overseas. I'm glad people can travel again but it was surprising to see so many people in a traditionally super quiet week.

Our 1st day was a Friday and we didn't have hoppers, so we did HS. We arrived around 1 and left at 7. In that time we only managed to do 4 things (falcon, muppets, mania and railway). This was without any meals and only a small blue milk break. We didn't even get to try to get on rise as it was down most of the day.

2nd day was the following Saturday, we had hoppers and did AK and Epcot. We only managed 3 things this time. Wait times we're horribly wrong on both touring plans and mde. Half of our party went to flight with a 105 posted and it took a full 2 hours. The other half did dinosaur which was correctly posted at 35 minutes, and then went to navi which was posted 70 and also took a full 2 hours. When we finally got to the front of navi we found the issue, they were allowing 2 standby parties for every 20 genie parties. Party size didn't matter, so 4 people would get through on standby and 60 people would go through genie. I understand they are trying to make the "paying guests" happy but all it did was throughly piss off everyone else. At epcot we only manged to ride remi which was thankfully shorter than the post 165 and only took 2 hours. It was fun and nice to do something new, going forward it's probably a 45 mins or shorter for me. I've never waited 2 hours to ride anything in past trips in October, November, December and January so the idea that multiple rides were regularly running that long across all 4 parks, just baffles my mind. The wall and food situation are still a big issue. Even with the event booths we were scrambling to find dinner. The only real upside was the new spaceship earth lights. They are beautiful and a really nice upgrade in the park.

Day 3 was Sunday which we only had time to do MK. After the AK experience the day before we caved and paid for Genie. We manged 6 things. We genied pirates, pan, buzz and mansion, and waited for jungle and laugh floor. We would have managed 1 more however the peoplemover went down just as we made it to the escalators. The main issue with genie is that with the 2 hour window by the time 1st window reopens, all the bigger items are already pushed out until 3pm or later. We ended up feeling in the end that genie is pretty much required but not worth the cost.

Sadly I think this is going to be our last wdw trip for quite awhile. We're dvc and while we usually go about every 3 years this was definitely our least enjoyable, and that includes the one where we all had the stomach flu. I hate being so negative about our trip but it was so shockingly different from any of our other trips. I'm starting to understand the people paying for private tours.

My dole whip mobile order took nearly 50 minutes today. Placed it before hopping on jungle cruise, checked in for my window after we got off, and waited about 30 minutes in front of aloha with about 50 other people by my count. Walk up line would have been faster. Just a heads up if you're visiting this week, that's the crowds we have.

My dole whip mobile order took nearly 50 minutes today. Placed it before hopping on jungle cruise, checked in for my window after we got off, and waited about 30 minutes in front of aloha with about 50 other people by my count. Walk up line would have been faster. Just a heads up if you're visiting this week, that's the crowds we have.

It’s pretty much been like that since the start of mobile ordering there.

Thank you! I know what you’re talking about. I guess I didn’t know people sometimes didn’t tap that second time. Thanks again—

I think the reason that both taps get mentioned is that with G+, you can't book your next LL until you've done both taps.

This is different from FP+ when you could book your next FP as soon as you completed the first tap. It was good that you could book next FP while still in line waiting to board.

Now that you can't book until you pass the second tap point, I find myself trying to book while also trying to board a ride at the same time. Not so good.

I assumed the person in question didn't tap the second time because they hadn't reached that point in the line yet.

We went last week for a few pre and post cruise days 1/22, 1/29 and 1/30. While I understand we only did weekend days and that adds to the madness/crowds it was a miserable experience. First the fact that the current ticket expiration policy makes it impossible to buy multi-days for pre and post cruise (a 3 day ticket expires in 4 days). Making my 3 days much more expensive then they should have been. Then the parks were very crowded for January. Touring plans had the days listed in the 4 - 6 range which it did not feel, at all, based on line times and walkway crowds. We noticed a bunch of tour groups both kids sports and overseas. I'm glad people can travel again but it was surprising to see so many people in a traditionally super quiet week.

Our 1st day was a Friday and we didn't have hoppers, so we did HS. We arrived around 1 and left at 7. In that time we only managed to do 4 things (falcon, muppets, mania and railway). This was without any meals and only a small blue milk break. We didn't even get to try to get on rise as it was down most of the day.

2nd day was the following Saturday, we had hoppers and did AK and Epcot. We only managed 3 things this time. Wait times we're horribly wrong on both touring plans and mde. Half of our party went to flight with a 105 posted and it took a full 2 hours. The other half did dinosaur which was correctly posted at 35 minutes, and then went to navi which was posted 70 and also took a full 2 hours. When we finally got to the front of navi we found the issue, they were allowing 2 standby parties for every 20 genie parties. Party size didn't matter, so 4 people would get through on standby and 60 people would go through genie. I understand they are trying to make the "paying guests" happy but all it did was throughly piss off everyone else. At epcot we only manged to ride remi which was thankfully shorter than the post 165 and only took 2 hours. It was fun and nice to do something new, going forward it's probably a 45 mins or shorter for me. I've never waited 2 hours to ride anything in past trips in October, November, December and January so the idea that multiple rides were regularly running that long across all 4 parks, just baffles my mind. The wall and food situation are still a big issue. Even with the event booths we were scrambling to find dinner. The only real upside was the new spaceship earth lights. They are beautiful and a really nice upgrade in the park.

Day 3 was Sunday which we only had time to do MK. After the AK experience the day before we caved and paid for Genie. We manged 6 things. We genied pirates, pan, buzz and mansion, and waited for jungle and laugh floor. We would have managed 1 more however the peoplemover went down just as we made it to the escalators. The main issue with genie is that with the 2 hour window by the time 1st window reopens, all the bigger items are already pushed out until 3pm or later. We ended up feeling in the end that genie is pretty much required but not worth the cost.

Sadly I think this is going to be our last wdw trip for quite awhile. We're dvc and while we usually go about every 3 years this was definitely our least enjoyable, and that includes the one where we all had the stomach flu. I hate being so negative about our trip but it was so shockingly different from any of our other trips. I'm starting to understand the people paying for private tours.
I’m so sorry this sounds horrible if I’m being honest.
I really enjoyed the standby lines and the lower wait times when we went last September.
And that is why I did the walk up line for Dole Whip. I heard horror stories leading up to my trip.
I will say CHH was relatively quick for mobile order. Placed It, said we were here and within 10 minutes it was ready.

Last edited:
On the topic of mobile ordering: my brother and I were in the parks Jan 27-30. Mobile ordering worked well in some places (lunch at Satu'li Canteen) but was awful in others (Casey's at 7PM). The only reason we ordered at Casey's was because I had good luck right before fireworks in July, so maybe it's hit or miss. By the end of our trip our strategy was to mobile order hot coffee or cookies, i.e. items that needed no preparation, while doing walk up for full meals.

Any update on the accuracy of wait times? For example, right now the tip board is showing a 40 min wait for IASW, is that accurate??

Any update on the accuracy of wait times? For example, right now the tip board is showing a 40 min wait for IASW, is that accurate??
We were there this morning and it was PACKED. I wouldn’t be surprised if IASW was actually 40 minutes. Thirty minutes after the park opened everything was busy. Dumbo had a 30 minute wait.

I’m so sorry this sounds horrible if I’m being honest.
I really enjoyed the standby lines and the lower wait times when we went last September.
And that is why I did the walk up line for Dole Whip. I heard horror stories leading up to my trip.
I will say CHH was relatively quick for mobile order. Placed It, said we were here and within 10 minutes it was ready.
I get where you're coming from. I haven't been chiming in much lately since I haven't been there since June and then a quick trip in Sept, but yours are my thought as I'm reading posts. We really enjoyed the straight-on stand-by lines throughout 2020-21 (and we went numerous times).

I'm so sorry and sad to read so many people are having rough trips :(

Yeah you are correct. I just checked and Touring plans predicted a level 3 at Magic Kingdom but ended up being a level 7. normally they are not that far off. I wonder what caused that?

in our experience, anything at a level six or below with touringplans is manageable, and once you get to level 7 and higher you really notice the crowds more.

Dan

Last week I made it a game to check every morning and see how under touring plans predictions were. I never check once we are there but you could feel it from day one. They were adding 2 points a day to every park. It's just that busy.
Hard agree that 7s are the messy spot - those were the days we didn't get to ride everything even with Genie + and all the stacking strategies (squeezed in some table service / a dessert party which take up time to be fair) but we are used to asking how many time we get to ride Haunted Mansion, not do we skip Peter Pan or Pooh since we can't do both.

My mobile order dole whips were ready in like two minutes though, so we had that going for us.... which was nice.

EE Rope drop #2:
Remy is down.
We were there for ETPE at Epcot and heard over the walkie accidentally that Remy was having issues and wouldn’t open on time. We headed straight to Soarin since they held us right near Nemo anyway and did that followed by LWTL both a walk on. Highly recommend that strategy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter