We went on a quick pre-cruise trip staying at old key west and did EPCOT on Saturday. We were nervous due to the reports of heavy crowds but we were pleasantly surprised. It’s possible we caught “a window” of the incoming Christmas week crowds and departing pre Christmas week people but we didn’t feel it was oppressively crowded. We rope dropped Soarin, land and Nemo, hit Remi (super cute) and frozen with ILL bc we were afraid of not getting a spot. We had test track LL reserved at 7am for a 3:30 time slot. Genie + did “that thing” where it said noon then on booking it assigned 3:30. I refreshed and found a better time, but as there wasn’t a modify option I had to drop the one I had to attempt the better time and then the app said I had to wait until 2pm to book?! Visited guest services and was told their systems were down so come back later. The CM put a note on our account. At 3:00 we went to guest services and they were able to give us an anytime LL for test track but we were unable to use genie until that point so….be aware of tech nightmares as possible. We loved the precious moments disney dolls, and had never seen them before as we generally avoid holidays. I will confirm that LL has crushed standby times. We saw many many upset people that there was no standby for Remi, and many that were unaware of Genie. We loved the candlelight processional. There are people coughing everywhere and we were surprised at that, had heard reports here but it was very noticeable that people were clearly ill. All in all a good time but just very different for us.
Yes we saw several clearly ill too. One note one time I got a tickle in my throat, need water… I was not sick, 3x vax but I think I was psychologically trying not to cough fearing others would think I was sick and that made it worse. So not all coughing have covid 😄

Last day at MK today. Crowds and waits were very light this morning because of the weather. Almost everything was walk-ons. Only day we saw rain and chilly weather during our trip. Was 70s 80s all other days.
Other random thoughts about my trip that I forgot to mention before:
- we found Harmonious to be better than Enchantment. The latter looked really poorly put together, and far inferior to HEA. I do not like all the barges in Epcot during the day though
- the interactions with the first order on rise of the resistance is always priceless.
- Remy is pretty cool but I would never pay for ILL to do it.
- FOP is still captivating every time we do it.
- I don’t get why Indiana jones stunt show is back but not fantasmic.

I’ll be honest I thought enchantment and harmonious were meh for a Disney nighttime spectacular. It really just seems like IP thrown in a blender with no rhyme and/or reason for the musical presentation. Harmonious was pretty but did you ever get those emotional moments? I actually got them watching the Minnie’s fireworks so it’s not just the old shows I’m preferring. Mental note has also been made never ever travel anywhere anytime near Christmas the line to check luggage and baby seat was almost 2 hours. Awful.

Hello! We are back from three days in the parks and one day of touring the Magic Kingdom resorts. Here are some of our highlights:
  • The Skyliner – Our favorite form of Disney transportation! We stayed at Caribbean Beach and I requested and received a room in Jamaica, so we were right across the street from the Skyliner station. The access to Epcot’s International Gateway can’t be beat, and the Joffrey’s shack at the station is a nice touch.
  • Crowds – Holy crowds! People everywhere, but it was manageable as long as we stayed ahead of them. (Early entry for resort guests jumped to 60 minutes instead of 30 on our second day in the parks.) We’d never been this time of year, but it was worth it to see the parks and resorts decked out for Christmas.
  • Christmas at the resorts – One of our favorite things to do at Disney is visit the animals at Jambo House and Kidani Village. (Add in bread service at Sanaa, and we were happy campers this day!) We also hit Wilderness Lodge (with a breakfast reservation at Whispering Canyon), the Contemporary and the Grand Floridian – the tree, gingerbread house and décor at the GF are lovely.
  • New parks experiences – Our must-dos were Living with the Land at night to see it all lit up (LOVED it) and Jingle Cruise (meh). I woke up just before 7 on our Epcot day and scored a boarding group for Remy’s, which I thought was adorable. The kids did the Olaf’s Holiday Traditions scavenger hunt in World Showcase, which we felt wasn’t as clear or organized as other scavenger hunts (like the Spike one from Flower & Garden).
ETA we did NOT purchase Genie+ or ILLs, primarily on principle, and were still able to accomplish what we wanted by using Early Entry for resort guests and regularly checking expected wait times on Lines (the kids had fun submitting our wait times).

My wife and I are here now. Arrived Pop Century on Saturday evening and have spent a full day at each of the four parks. Here's our thoughts so far:
THE GOOD: Smuggler's Run
Skyliner !!!
Rennovated rooms at Pop
TV offerings in rooms- not just
Disney owned
Easy to use Genie +. Happy to spend $15 to save HOURS of time in lines.
Lot smaller crowds that we expected. Still crowded but only moderate so far
THE BAD: Mickey's After Hours night
Too few photopass photographers
Too few free food distribution points
Way, way too expensive for what is offered
The way too impactful cuts in live shows such as FoLK
Commando park visitors ready to run you done so they can do everything in the first hour after park opening.
THE UGLY:
Slupping your own bags at airport.
Cut backs in offerings but no cut back in costs! Buffets now served family style but at buffet/character meet prices. Everything has risen in price noticably.
Yak and Yeti quality of food gone so down
The amount of time needed to plan so that all goes smoothly
All the construction walls at Epcot
M

Just back from a trip 12/19-12/22. We've been many times but only go every 2-3 years during Fall or Spring break, Thanksgiving, or Christmas so we're used to crowds. This time, it didn't seem as crowded with guests but waits were crazy...for EVERYTHING. Talked to a couple CMs about understaffing and they confirmed it's a problem. If you can't fill hand sanitizers (most didn't work), paper towels, make sure sinks have water, notify guests when mobile order is down (AFTER they ordered), or figure out how to get your IT or food court operating consistently then maybe you really need to limit capacity again?!

My wife and I are here now. Arrived Pop Century on Saturday evening and have spent a full day at each of the four parks. Here's our thoughts so far:
Skyliner !!!
Rennovated rooms at Pop
Disney owned
Commando park visitors ready to run you done so they can do everything in the first hour after park opening.
THE UGLY:
Cut backs in offerings but no cut back in costs! Buffets now served family style but at buffet/character meet prices. Everything has risen in price noticably.
M

Here now as well---- arrived yesterday---- all we keep talking about is Epcot--- honestly, it looks awful !!! And missed Mousegear ! Dont like Creations at all--- and what is with the lack of holiday apparel !!?? On a sidenote---- what is with all of the Chapel coach busses ? Talk about lack of Disney feel !! They are like uglier DME busses !!

I think Harmonious was broken tonight. The show started at 10:05 instead of 9:45. We had seen it from the side during Rose & Crown dinner package a few days ago, but wanted to see the center "eye" view. We walked around to the straight-on side but the center ring wasn't doing anything. 🤔

Skyliner !!!
Rennovated rooms at Pop
Disney owned
THE UGLY:
M
Did you use Genie at AK?

Last edited:
Are most of the rude people in Magic Kingdom and not the other parks? If some lady yelled at my husband (or me especially) for something as silly as not moving in the direction she wanted, he would legit start a fight with her, so now I'm like do I cancel my trip, is this an anomaly, or do we just avoid Magic Kingdom? We're going the second week of March, which I thought would be a lower crowd time since easter is so late next year, but I could very much be wrong!

Yiiiikes.
We were just there last week and I felt like the crowds though heavy were very congenial. I actually experienced more bad behavior at Epcot during food and wine. Patience at MK may wane but at least folks aren’t completely inebriated.

I was there 12/10 - 12/16... first day at parks 12/11. Stayed at Wyndham Grand Orlando Bonnet Creek. Great Hotel, beautiful actually but exorbitant fees. Anyway, the parks were very crowded. VERY. I remember going the first week of December in the late 90's early 2000's and it being a low crowd time, although I know I basically was there the second week, not the first week of December. And, obviously, it was a long time ago. The parks were beautiful for Christmas and I loved seeing the Candlelight Processional back. Plus The Lion King and other shows. I'm happy things are returning to normal. Genie - not so happy - tried LL on our MK day because it was insanely crowded. Not worth it unless you book it the second you walk in the park and then you have to compete with everyone else to get what you want. You only get one at a time - I find it to be a waste of money. I did pay $9 to get Remy @ Epcot because otherwise I wouldn't have gotten on. I got it at 11:10 a.m. upon entering the park and my ride time was 9:50 p.m. I'm not a fan of Genie + at all and will not be purchasing it again. It's a shameless money grab if you ask me. Just my opinion of course. Cast members were fabulous except the dude at the Taphouse. He was rude to me when I was trying to decide what I wanted to drink. It was my first time and I needed extra time to figure it out. I said "I don't really like IPA type beers" and he said "then don't get one." Not impressed although I loved the Taphouse outside seating and the appetizers were good and reasonably priced. Every other cast member - STELLAR. I was impressed especially given the enormous crowds. I won't go in December again unless it's a quick weekend trip and I'll concentrate on visiting the resorts more than the parks. Too crowded.

We got back yesterday after a week staying offsite - 12/19-25 going to parks 12/21-24. We started at the Clarion just south of Animal Kingdom area. DW complained about the hotel, Though it was in pretty poor condition, so we moved to the new airport Cambria. It was rough, instead of 5-10 minute drives, it became 25-30 minute. She was also dealing with a shoulder/neck injury, so had to visit the chiropractor a couple times before heading to the parks. We ended up typically leaving for the parks around 1030 most days, so there by 11.

I had bought G+ with the tickets because I knew they'd be busy and we had some things we'd want to do. The extra hours, plus extra rides/shows available with G+ in each park definitely made it worth it to us, in some ways. Being able to get a guaranteed parade viewing spot was awesome on Wednesday for the first daytime showing of the parade. Heres our view if you're interested:h ttps://youtu.be/EuS5CGhjDK8.

We ended up getting 4 or 5 G+ rides in each park. Most of the parks, we could have gotten more LLs, but was trying hard not to push my wife, but still getting yelled at for going too hard 😂. I also was able to get an ILL$ for myself on FoP and 7DMT and the whole family on Remy. I got lucky with FoP as it sold out before offsite could get them, but they reloaded more a couple times during the morning that I saw. I wasn't planning for RotR, and that was a good thing. I guess it was down a lot on Friday. I had rode once at DHS in January and twice at Disneyland this summer, so wasn't even going to go to Galaxy's Edge this trip. We also barely used standby lines. We did iasw, Gran Fiesta Tour, and AS2 standby, but otherwise, we used Genie or didn't do it, besides a couple shows like Presidents in MK and Cars in DHS. We were down there for the tower of terror lighting so figured it'd be fun to check out. I missed arrival times for FoP and Peter Pan, but due to other appointments, so they fortunately let me on the rides. I know they don't have to do that, but glad they did.

Crowds were heavy in some parts but felt light in other parts. Obviously parade and fireworks crowds were intense. World showcase in Epcot was insanely packed. We were pushing the kid in the stroller and swerving everywhere to avoid people, lol. Animal Kingdom was rainy most of the day, so wasn't as crowded as it could have been. It mostly felt like our first trip in 2018 though. Lots of people.

Character meals are changing a bit now with allowing kids to stand a few feet in front of characters, so it's easier to get their pictures now. I had noticed they let us stand up for the pix, but didn't realize it was a new change until DFB posted about it this morning.

Table service meals are generally taking about 90 minutes for us now. It seemed like before we could get in and out in 60, but we did Story Book Dining, Rose and Crown Candlelight package and Hollywood and Vine and they all took about 90 minutes. We also did the Space 220 lounge, but kept it to apps and drinks, so wasn't in for as long. Looking at time stamps of my videos, about 50 minutes in there. Cool experience tho.

Traffic in the WDW resort area wasn't bad for us at the times we went, but I-4 going North was always backed up during the day and sometimes at night if we left the parks early enough. Southbound wasn't as bad, but still had a decent amount of traffic and some slowdowns. At WDW, we used Trams, monorail, bus and skyliner and they were all keeping people moving quickly at the times we were on them. Of course we didn't use at high capacity times either, but was good to get where we wanted to go quickly and efficiently.

we got back on Friday and overall the trip was good. Last full day, not so much. We made the most epic rookie mistake. We had park reservations for Animal Kingdom. We knew we wanted to do MK at night. I spent all day getting the best LL's and even paid extra for 7D. I had 7D, Thunder, Space, Jungle, and Buzz, all within a three hour time frame. It was going to be the best night ever. We never made it to AK earlier in the day. Denied access to MK.

I honestly wanted to cry. We could've bussed it to AK, swiped in, got back on the bus to MK, but my husband wouldn't do it. He was annoyed. I'm the Disney fan, him, not so much. He swore he would never go to Disney again, he's also a little dramatic. Hopefully I'll eventually talk him into a last week in August trip. It might be a hard sell. :rotfl:

we got back on Friday and overall the trip was good. Last full day, not so much. We made the most epic rookie mistake. We had park reservations for Animal Kingdom. We knew we wanted to do MK at night. I spent all day getting the best LL's and even paid extra for 7D. I had 7D, Thunder, Space, Jungle, and Buzz, all within a three hour time frame. It was going to be the best night ever. We never made it to AK earlier in the day. Denied access to MK.

I honestly wanted to cry. We could've bussed it to AK, swiped in, got back on the bus to MK, but my husband wouldn't do it. He was annoyed. I'm the Disney fan, him, not so much. He swore he would never go to Disney again, he's also a little dramatic. Hopefully I'll eventually talk him into a last week in August trip. It might be a hard sell. :rotfl:
I'm so sorry this happened to you and in the heat of the moment, completely understand how it did. We all have to retrain ourselves now that park reservations are needed but we still make mistakes. So sorry you missed your time in MK, especially since you had spent a lot of money securing some good reservations. :(

Hope your husband remembers the good time he had before that unfortunate challenge at the end.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and in the heat of the moment, completely understand how it did. We all have to retrain ourselves now that park reservations are needed but we still make mistakes. So sorry you missed your time in MK, especially since you had spent a lot of money securing some good reservations. :(

Hope your husband remembers the good time he had before that unfortunate challenge at the end.

well at least we had guest services reverse the $50 I spent on genie + and the extra 7D fee! :thumbsup2

It was going to be the best night ever. We never made it to AK earlier in the day. Denied access to MK.

That is the dumbest rule imo. I get the 2pm deal is the new way to hop, but not tapping in to park 1 makes absolutely no difference in how the park operates, how the crowd is, etc. Maybe someone can explain how that requirement helps the parks or other guests when enforced. WDW literally LOST money by enforcing this by refunding the money (let alone any money spent once in MK).

There's a lot of talk about how rigid the new system is (have to wake up at 7am, etc) but this goes beyond rigidity. People can't possibly predict how their touring party is going to feel on any given day. Maybe someone has a blister, maybe someone's knees hurt, wake up not feeling well, etc. So in order to modify your plans, you have to either cancel a park reservation and attempt a new one (even though you've already paid for the right to hop) or you have to waste a LOT of time to tap in/out and proceed with your day. Ridiculous.

That is the dumbest rule imo. I get the 2pm deal is the new way to hop, but not tapping in to park 1 makes absolutely no difference in how the park operates, how the crowd is, etc. Maybe someone can explain how that requirement helps the parks or other guests when enforced. WDW literally LOST money by enforcing this by refunding the money (let alone any money spent once in MK).

There's a lot of talk about how rigid the new system is (have to wake up at 7am, etc) but this goes beyond rigidity. People can't possibly predict how their touring party is going to feel on any given day. Maybe someone has a blister, maybe someone's knees hurt, wake up not feeling well, etc. So in order to modify your plans, you have to either cancel a park reservation and attempt a new one (even though you've already paid for the right to hop) or you have to waste a LOT of time to tap in/out and proceed with your day. Ridiculous.
I agree. I’m not sure if we’ll do a park on our “off day”, and I have no idea if we’ll want to hit something before Epcot right now. I would like to do HDDR and the water park that day, but no idea right now if they’ll be open. Since we’re staying at Pop I went ahead and booked DHS in case we decide to go somewhere in the evening since it is an easy trip to the gates (and sells out, Epcot usually doesn’t and we can always change our reservation closer if we decide to do Epcot). If we could just park hop wherever I would’ve not worried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter