*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

We have a Studio booked and I’d love to request a marsh view. I believe I can get a studio marsh view in building 11, 12 or 18. Does that seem right?

Is there no site like Touring plans with room views at HHI?

We have a Studio booked and I’d love to request a marsh view. I believe I can get a studio marsh view in building 11, 12 or 18. Does that seem right?

Is there no site like Touring plans with room views at HHI?
I'm unsure about any site touring plans available for HHI; however, your note is correct: the only studios that potentially have a marsh view would be 11, 12, and 18. Now, 18 only has one studio, though it does have a marsh view. Yet, it will sit under a GV, so you'll potentially have a lot of people above you, ergo possibly more noise, in general, than in either 11 or 12. The latter two buildings have a few rooms that look out over the marsh/low water channel entrance to Shelter Cove marina (reference the map of the resort on page 1). Some of them do not have good views of either, though it's still a very pretty view of trees, landscaping, and perhaps a little bit of water through said trees. ;)

What's a good number of days to stay at HHI with a 4 yr old and 7 yr old? We've never been to HHI, the kids are more used to busy beach vacations (went to Myrtle Beach 3 times), but now that we are DVC members, we want to experience Disney's Hilton Head.
We just had an amazing trip end of March with my parents and 5 year old son. We were there 9 days and 8 nights which my son said wasn't long enough lol!!! There are plenty of activities around both pools plus the ocean. We grill out several nights plus do just a couple of dinners out to get as mush family time as possible. Me and my son both love all the activities on site also (basketball, putt putt, corn hole and especially cookies w/lemonade at 300). We have already planned next year for same time but doing 11 days and 10 nights this time per request of son. Don't forget campfire nights with smores and trivia!!

My wife and I will be staying at the resort over Thanksgiving this year, we can't wait!
Be prepared to love it! We went to the resort way back in 2006, "just to try it at Thanksgiving" for what we figured was once. As soon as we got home, we did an add on so we could do every other Thanksgiving at HHI. A few months later we realized-"Who are we kidding? Just every Other year?" and we bought more. See you in November for our 18th consecutive year.
It'll be slightly different for us, since the baker of our take-out Thanksgiving dinner on the island retired (she's fed us for 17 years) so this year we have to find a new source for take out.

Be prepared to love it! We went to the resort way back in 2006, "just to try it at Thanksgiving" for what we figured was once. As soon as we got home, we did an add on so we could do every other Thanksgiving at HHI. A few months later we realized-"Who are we kidding? Just every Other year?" and we bought more. See you in November for our 18th consecutive year.
It'll be slightly different for us, since the baker of our take-out Thanksgiving dinner on the island retired (she's fed us for 17 years) so this year we have to find a new source for take out.

Oh yes my wife and I are already thinking about making this a regular tradition for us and we haven't even stayed there yet! :)

We asked this once before but now I can't find the great advice that we got (came at a work time that had unexpected urgency/obligations).

We are going to DVC HHI at the end of June and are booked in a 2-bedroom room. We are looking for any advice about what buildings/view/other requests to make to get the best room.

Also looking for any input on things to do whether it is activities (4 adults), dining, sightseeing, etc. since we only have 2 full days there and have never been.

We asked this once before but now I can't find the great advice that we got (came at a work time that had unexpected urgency/obligations).

We are going to DVC HHI at the end of June and are booked in a 2-bedroom room. We are looking for any advice about what buildings/view/other requests to make to get the best room.

Also looking for any input on things to do whether it is activities (4 adults), dining, sightseeing, etc. since we only have 2 full days there and have never been.
If you scroll down on Page 1 a little, you'll see a helpful map of layout for the resort which will come in handy with the following suggestions.

Of the 123 rooms at the resort, more than half of them are 2BRs (76 total), and none of them are located in Bldgs 11 and 12--both of those contain only studios and 1BRs. Bldg 11 is also where you check in to the resort; Bldg 12 is connected to 11 and shares the lone elevator for guests. None of the other guest buildings have access to an elevator. All that to say, 11 and 12 are out of the picture if you have a 2BR.

Still, that leaves all the other buildings. There are no poor views at HHI, though some look out over the well-landscaped interior of the resort thus have no marsh views. If you wish for a marsh view, the best options are 13, 14, 15, 18, 22, 24, 27, 29, and 31. The most requested building is 31 as it sits at the confluence of the marina and the marsh channel that feeds around the back of the resort. Any of the other buildings mentioned above will have at least some part of a marsh view, if not a great deal of one. More facts about these buildings:
- 13 is among the quietest and a hidden gem. It's close to the main Lodge (Bldg 11) thus a quick walk to Shelter Cove or the shuttle stop for the Beach House, but farthest out from the pool.
- 14/15 sit along the boardwalk and the balconies face a small inlet of the marsh so is considered a marsh view--nice big balconies there. They, too, sit closer to the main Lodge.
- 18 houses a GV, a studio, a 1BR (both of those sit under the GV so can be noisy) and four 2BRs. It sits on the marsh and is equidistant to the pool and the main Lodge.
- 22/24 are close to the pool, thus easy access to it, the Mercantile, the fishing pier, and Tide Me Over.
- 27/29/31 are on the far side of the pool, so easy access to it and the other amenities there but farther out from the main Lodge. Keep in mind, though, that the resort isn't that big. You can walk from 31 to the main Lodge in 5-7 minutes at a normal pace.

The other buildings that do not have a marsh view:
- 16 is a GV so set up just like 18. The balconies overlook a small grilling area, a horseshoe pit, and the butterfly garden.
- 17 has similar views to 16
- 19 sits next to 16, thus also has similar views (and is a GV, as well)
- 20 overlooks the same area--out the front door there is a putting green
- 21 sits near the pool; in fact, you can see the pool itself from the balcony on the top floor room, 2121
- 23/25/26 all sit around the pool, so your view will be of the pool and pool deck. In 25, the views are partially obstructed by the two-story slide.
- 28/30 are both GVs and overlook a grilling area, a giant checkers game, and a bocce ball court. Both are close to the pool but along with 29 and 31, farthest out from the main Lodge--again, still only a short walk.
It's up to you which location or view you'd most like to have. Truly, there are no bad views at the resort--it's all very lush and pretty.

I won't delve into activities (there are plenty planned at the resort and lots to do outside the resort)--I'll let others chime in there. As for places to eat, unlike at WDW, there are so very many GOOD places to choose from, and everyone has his/her favorites. Here are mine:
- Fish Camp on Broad Creek: they take reservations and have excellent food and service. They sit on a marina so the views are nice, too.
- Skull Creek Boathouse: extensive menu, most of it excellent, good view of boat dock/marina, lots of seating, but very popular among locals and tourists. They do not take reservations so either go early or expect to wait at prime dining times.
- Hudson's on the Docks: ditto for Skull Creek above--good, busy, great views, no reservations. Very popular.
- Scott's Fish Market: the first restaurant you see when you walk to Shelter Cove from the resort which is why I mention it--very convenient. However, I find the food and service to only be average. For me, it's worth walking another few minutes to get to Ela's on the Water. It's located about a 5-7 minute walk past Scott's (it's directly across the water from Bldg 28), but it's good and has outdoor and indoor tables, and they do take reservations.
- Hilton Head Social Bakery: located next to Scott's, they have great pastries, breads, sandwiches, and quiches. A bit pricey but excellent overall. The raspberry macaron (upwards of $8) is topnotch.
- OMBRA Cucina or Nunzio's: both are top of the food chain good Italian restaurants. Each is about a 5-minute drive from the resort (they're within two minutes of each other) and they are excellent. While you can get pizza there, it's not what they're known for--they make their own pastas, serve fresh seafood dishes, and have superb executive chefs. You can't go wrong with either one.

Okay, I'll hush now and let others give you their tips. Enjoy your trip! pirate:

In addition to the places above to eat, we like Black Marlin, Skull Creek Dockside, Crazy Crab at Jarvis Creek, and Poseidon. For nice and super casual there's Sea Shack and Kenny B's. Be aware with our recommendations, that they're all seafood restaurants. Black Marlin has had a big refurbishment since we were last there, can't wait to see it!

In addition to the restaurants already mentioned (Hudson's is must!) we also really enjoyed Jane's Bistro for lunch (fantastic salads) and Charbar Co for great burgers. Holy Tequila is popular and has pretty good Mexican food and nice margaritas, though we actually prefer a little hole in the wall place called Aunt Chiladas.

But one of our favorite spots is Burnt Church Distillery in Bluffton - just a short drive. We took their distillery tour which was very interesting and included some free samples. The food is from next door, but it's really good and they make the best cocktails we've had in that area. Overall it's just a fun time. We now go back every time we're in the area as we can't buy their products in PA, so have to bootleg them back home :goodvibes .

I'm so excited! I booked our spring break 2024 stay! My youngest daughter is graduating HS in 2024 so this could be our final family trip to HHI:sad:....and that's *if* our oldest daughter is able to get the time off of work. We are looking forward to fishing and hanging out at the resort, biking around the island, and just chilling in general.

By now, most of you will have seen that the Galactic Starcruiser is shutting down permanently--just not enough bookings, apparently. I post the info here because the manager of the hotel was none other than Jerome, the long-time manager at HHI before he took this gig nearly three years ago. I'm certain his star will continue to shine as this concept never seemed like it could sustain itself for long at nearly $5K and up for two nights for two people, much less a family. That said, I can't see Disney letting it sit and gather dust. I wonder if they'll downscale it and make it a more affordable, themed resort based on Star Wars. Time will tell.

By now, most of you will have seen that the Galactic Starcruiser is shutting down permanently--just not enough bookings, apparently. I post the info here because the manager of the hotel was none other than Jerome, the long-time manager at HHI before he took this gig nearly three years ago. I'm certain his star will continue to shine as this concept never seemed like it could sustain itself for long at nearly $5K and up for two nights for two people, much less a family. That said, I can't see Disney letting it sit and gather dust. I wonder if they'll downscale it and make it a more affordable, themed resort based on Star Wars. Time will tell.
My thoughts exactly. The Starcruiser was destined to fail eventually with that price tag. I agree it will be rethemed with an added pool which I think could really work as a great resort just outside of HS.

The only issue is that the building has no windows. I'm sure they can add them at a cost but still. With the last earnings call, I'm not sure now is the time to put their money there.

It was definitely unsustainable. To make it affordable for most families, they'd have had to run it in the red. I'm not even sure they broke even. It did last longer than I expected. I gave it a year and it'll end up being 18 months or so.

The only issue is that the building has no windows. I'm sure they can add them at a cost but still. With the last earnings call, I'm not sure now is the time to put their money there.

It was definitely unsustainable. To make it affordable for most families, they'd have had to run it in the red. I'm not even sure they broke even. It did last longer than I expected. I gave it a year and it'll end up being 18 months or so.
Good point about the windows, but the rooms have portals with CGI stars, ships, luminaries, et. al. As such then, like the interior rooms of DCL ships, the guests might still get that feeling of being able to look out a window and not feel so claustrophobic. Which would hurt worse financially: letting it sit empty, staging occasional special events there, or keeping it going as a resort minus the huge price tag of the immersive experience?

Good question. Time will tell.

I couldn't do it. My brain knows its a fake window and I've only got one out. PTSD thing. I have to be able to see my exits.

But one of our favorite spots is Burnt Church Distillery in Bluffton - just a short drive. We took their distillery tour which was very interesting and included some free samples. The food is from next door, but it's really good and they make the best cocktails we've had in that area. Overall it's just a fun time. We now go back every time we're in the area as we can't buy their products in PA, so have to bootleg them back home :goodvibes .
Thanks for sharing this! DH and I are going to spend some recovery time at HHI after marathon weekend. This sounds like a perfect place to visit for some down time!

Thanks for sharing this! DH and I are going to spend some recovery time at HHI after marathon weekend. This sounds like a perfect place to visit for some down time!
If you want to splurge, and it's not far from the distillery, treat yourself to Alljoy Donuts in Bluffton. They're only open Friday-Sunday, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., but it's worth getting over there. Such a treat after all the training for and running the actual marathon.

If you want to splurge, and it's not far from the distillery, treat yourself to Alljoy Donuts in Bluffton. They're only open Friday-Sunday, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., but it's worth getting over there. Such a treat after all the training for and running the actual marathon.
Love a good donut 😍 Thanks for the suggestion!

Good question. Time will tell.

I couldn't do it. My brain knows its a fake window and I've only got one out. PTSD thing. I have to be able to see my exits.
In case it helps, each room also has a secondary exit. If the main entrance or hallway is blocked for some reason, there is a door-sized "escape hatch" near the "window" that exits to another area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter