*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Was considering staying at HH for February break. We would be traveling from Vermont. What is the best way to get to HH? Airport then rent a car? Thank you!

Was considering staying at HH for February break. We would be traveling from Vermont. What is the best way to get to HH? Airport then rent a car? Thank you!
Assuming you're not driving, then yes, fly in and rent a car. Now, chances are Savannah would have better rates for both flights and rental cars, and given that it's less than an hour from Savannah to HHI, that might work for you. Sometimes, the HHI airport will have a better deal (or close).

The other option would be to Uber over from either the HHI or the Savannah airport, and that might work for you depending on what you wish to do once arriving at the resort. However, given the time of year, chances are the weather will at least be brisk (by HHI standards) if not downright chilly, so if you want to get outside the resort to restaurants, historical sites, shopping, etc., then you'd want a car instead of biking or walking. At least, I would. pirate:

Somewhere I read a question about beach towels at DHHIR. It was mentioned they weren't large beach towels, but towels were available. Are the ones available normal size pool towels or are they actually larger than that. Trying to decide whether to pack towels or not.

TIA

Somewhere I read a question about beach towels at DHHIR. It was mentioned they weren't large beach towels, but towels were available. Are the ones available normal size pool towels or are they actually larger than that. Trying to decide whether to pack towels or not.

TIA
Normal pool towels. I get 6 so there are 2 for each of us. It's really nice not having to deal with sandy towels. But I did take some back to the resort by accident (didn't realize one of my kids put them in the beach bag) and I just returned them to the pool area at the resort.

TIA
Normal pool towels. I get 6 so there are 2 for each of us. It's really nice not having to deal with sandy towels. But I did take some back to the resort by accident (didn't realize one of my kids put them in the beach bag) and I just returned them to the pool area at the resort.
As mentioned, they are the exact same towels both at the Big Dipper pool and the Beach House pool, and they are smallish towels compared to what one would consider a beach towel. And, it's no problem returning them at either location, either, since they all go to the same linen company for cleaning. pirate:

We will be arriving Fathers Day for a week at the resort. This is our first trip and I do appreciate all of the information I have learned from the fine folks on this thread. Just thought I would see if anyone had any insight into the current jellyfish situation on the island (for those that are there presently); I'm assuming it's not something we should not be too concerned with. Additionally, and I don't assume this is an issue from what I've seen on national television, but is there any affects from the smoke that's being making it's way from Canada?

Has anyone here eaten at all 8 nominees? We have yet to go to Fishcamp or Carolina Crab. Which should we try next? And since it's been almost 20 years since we've eaten at Hudson's, we'll go there again.
We've eaten at all except Carolina Crab, Crazy Crab, and Fish Shack. Of the others, I'd say Hudson's is our favorite. Their coconut shrimp is to die for and I love, love their shrimp and grits (not on the regular menu but usually a special). However we also really enjoy Poseidon and I'd have to give it a close second. Then Fishcamp on Broad Creek and Skull Creek Boathouse would fall slightly below those two - but they still are great!

We even enjoy Scott's though I'd rank it under the others. It's often our go-to for arrival night. We drive from just outside of Pittsburgh, so we never want to make a reservation anywhere as you never know what might happen. We can walk over to Scott's and grab a table without too much of a problem and the food is usually quite good.

What is the best way to rent points for a stay next May? It seems that very few HHI owners rent their points, I suppose they like to use them! I need 274.

Also wondering, have any gators ever been spotted on the property? I know they wouldn’t typically be in salt water but are there ponds etc very close by where they could wander over from?

Has anyone here eaten at all 8 nominees? We have yet to go to Fishcamp or Carolina Crab. Which should we try next? And since it's been almost 20 years since we've eaten at Hudson's, we'll go there again.
6 of the 8. I tend to vote on a combination of ambiance, service, food, and availability; therefore, I'd vote Fishcamp as my favorite with Skull Creek second and Hudson's third. Scott's is fine as an easy option (such as Pens Fan mentions above); I've not been impressed with either Poseidon or Crazy Crab.

What is the best way to rent points for a stay next May? It seems that very few HHI owners rent their points, I suppose they like to use them! I need 274.

Also wondering, have any gators ever been spotted on the property? I know they wouldn’t typically be in salt water but are there ponds etc very close by where they could wander over from?
You might need to use a timeshare broker who rents out DVC points--the cost will be a little more than renting directly from someone, but you have a better chance of scoring points using a broker, plus you're better protected from possible fraud.

As for alligators, yes, I have seen them several times in the waters surrounding the property, though never actually on property itself. I've seen a couple out in the shallow waters behind Live Oak Lodge, just out from the swing/hammock/picnic table area located at the back of the building. Further, I've seen them a few times swimming near the bridge at Shelter Cove.

I took this picture right after crossing the underpass on my way to the beach house, so not on property. This is where the man-made lagoon is. This experience has really unnerved me since this is one of the many fishing spots that my sons use when visiting the island.

IMG-5953.jpg

How hard is it to get a full week at HHI 7 months out in April/May or Oct/Nov? Thinking of buying into DVC at WDW but want to be able to go to HHI often thank you

How hard is it to get a full week at HHI 7 months out in April/May or Oct/Nov? Thinking of buying into DVC at WDW but want to be able to go to HHI often thank you
We have used our AKV points at HHI a couple of times. A studio in November was fairly easy to get, but right at 8:00 a.m. 7 months out. We weren't able to get a studio this past April due to the Easter holiday. If you are trying to get a 2-BR , that will be much easier since there are 76 of them compared to 21 studios and 21 1-BRs.

Agree with DisneyStarWisher above, and I'll add that the busiest weeks are from late March through mid-September. Spring break times kick off the busy season, and some schools start a bit late in September plus there is the Labor Day Weekend. Thus, it can be difficult to get an entire week, especially a studio or 1BR--it's not impossible, but timing is everything. October or November (as long as it's early Nov), should be doable.

We go every year for Thanksgiving week, and that seems to be the only week that you may need the 11 month ownership. However, since DH retired several years ago, our vacation has spread out to include days the week before and after that week. The difference is amazing! There's always availability those weeks. A few times when I stop at the front desk the last day and say "I wish we didn't have to leave tomorrow", they always remind me that they have rooms available the week after Thanksgiving-but that's getting into December.

We actually did the opposite. We knew we wanted to do HHI as often as possible - its a much easier drive for us than Orlando - but we wanted to be able to go to WDW once in a while. We knew our options would be better trading in to WDW than into HHI. (We were told by another TS company that a very high % of HHI TS owners occupy their resorts). We've never had an issue trading into WDW with our HHI pts. as long as we weren't really picky about where we stayed.

We have since added on at BRV and BWV now that we have grandkids.

ETA: We actually saw an alligator near Geyser Point at Wilderness Lodge last summer. We've never seen one near DHHIR but have seen many around the island. Even saw a little one pulled from the ocean.

Have any of you HHI Lovers ever been at HHI on New Year’s Eve?? Is there anything special going on in Hilton Head for NYE??
We just got our wait-list for a Studio there on 12/31/23 (breaking up the drive from MD on our way to BCV on 1/1/24). We typically don’t even stay up until midnight on NYE anymore, but I’m curious as to what HHI might have to offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter