Hiding ducks on the cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the duck thing is a bit out of control. Seems like people bring a whole bunch of ducks to hide, but then don't get a chance to do that until the end of the sailing. So on the last night, there are a billion ducks all over the ship. It's not that special if you bring 10 (or more!) of the same kind of duck to hide. And if you get a few people who also bring 10 ducks, it can add up to too many ducks in too few public spaces... Exercise some moderation, please. But, some of the small squishy ducks are pretty cool, though--the tiny hard plastic ones, not so much.

My $0.02.

I think guests have no idea how many of these end up in the incinerator room. (As crew members on board we're responsible for bringing our own trash to sort out and there are always buckets of these getting processed.)

It's an unspoken secret that Crew Members may be able to sneak and keep them on their own to avoid their fate in the trash, but when these are found by crew in public areas the USPH policy onboard is to dispose/offload them for recycling after the cruise (without letting guests know). *Edited to add that obviously like any job there are people who will care more than others, and managers who are more strict about it and other departments who aren't. But if the ship is about to undergo a USPH inspection soon you can bet that anything left around that cruise gets removed so they don't get dinged/points off*

It's a bit of a downer reality to think about that might kill the fun, but imagine if the crew were to just let guests plant random objects in hidden locations on board whenever they wanted and the danger this could present. We do safety drills on a regular basis to locate objects hidden within our spaces for this reason. On the bright side, most crew members are usually not so heartless and if a duck is in their designated work space and hasn't been immediately discovered, they move it to a more conspicuous areas for another guest to take to avoid having to throw it out.

If you ever get a chance, ask the ship's Chief Safety Officer or Environmental Officer what they think about ducks on board and prepare for a lecture!

Last edited:
I think guests have no idea how many of these end up in the incinerator room. (As crew members on board we're responsible for bringing our own trash to sort out and there are always buckets of these getting processed.)

It's an unspoken secret that Crew Members may be able to sneak and keep them on their own to avoid their fate in the trash, but when these are found by crew in public areas the USPH policy onboard is to dispose/offload them for recycling after the cruise (without letting guests know). *Edited to add that obviously like any job there are people who will care more than others, and managers who are more strict about it and other departments who aren't. But if the ship is about to undergo a USPH inspection soon you can bet that anything left around that cruise gets removed so they don't get dinged/points off*

It's a bit of a downer reality to think about that might kill the fun, but imagine if the crew were to just let guests plant random objects in hidden locations on board whenever they wanted and the danger this could present. We do safety drills on a regular basis to locate objects hidden within our spaces for this reason. On the bright side, most crew members are usually not so heartless and if a duck is in their designated work space and hasn't been immediately discovered, they move it to a more conspicuous areas for another guest to take to avoid having to throw it out.

If you ever get a chance, ask the ship's Chief Safety Officer or Environmental Officer what they think about ducks on board and prepare for a lecture!
Thank you for the information. I'm not a fan of hiding ducks

I will remember to ask since I find hiding ducks or finding them pointless and tacky. If others want to do it 💯💯.

I did see a bartender find a duck and be excited that’s what I enjoy

Some people stand nearby to see them picked up. I have watched people talk about how I found them a few times over my last 8 voyages. And I have only found 5.
My first and largest most elaborate duck I gave to guest services lost and found and she said “I think I know what this is about” which I found a strange comment. Not so strange a comment now that I know what it’s about.
The next few sailings I regifted a few on the ship and kept 2 over the years. One that was super tiny and red, my favorite color, and another that was decorated like a pirate. I have also had it where I have not found a single duck. Last year my family watched all 8 of the ducks we placed picked up by children under 5. This year we have 12 Christmas/winter ducks that we will watch picked up by children whom we have given a heads up to the parents so that my 80 year old father can watch the joy as they find them.
It’s as much fun to give as receive.

My tips: If you're going to hide it in a space that crew are working in it's nice and good courtesy to ask or give them a heads up where it is. Imagine if someone walked into the place you worked and just started hiding things for the fun of it, and even if it's "public areas" on a cruise ship would you do the same in a restaurant? A hotel? A library? A hospital? An airport or even a plane? Maybe it's just nice to tell the people who actually live on the ship if you're having a little bit of fun before you do it because oddly enough it feels like someone walked into your living room and threw a toy in the corner 😅 and it's just better when we're made aware.

(Crew Members will always pretend like they're either a big surprise and wonderful thing whether or not they actually care just for guest satisfaction scores, since there's no official posted policy out there for guests the crew will just say whatever they want but either keep/toss them after the guest has left. I have to admit that personally I've collected 9 ducks which I've either rescued or were given to me directly and love them all!)
-Again most crew members don't care as long as you debark happy and rate high on the scorecards but my sister who worked on the Galactic Starcruiser told me a similar story last night about how many bins full of Porgs just get disposed of every 2 days.

:smickey:Even better like mentioned above, maybe hang around nearby to secretly observe that it gets collected by another guest and take it with you if it doesn't. Also if you find one of these PLEASE give them a wash at the very least and wash your hands!

I was ambivalent about hiding ducks until I read this. Thanks for your perspective and sharing the info. I don't begrudge people the fun they have hiding and finding ducks, but maybe we (as in, all of us) can focus on other more sustainable methods of spreading joy.

I was ambivalent about hiding ducks until I read this. Thanks for your perspective and sharing the info. I don't begrudge people the fun they have hiding and finding ducks, but maybe we (as in, all of us) can focus on other more sustainable methods of spreading joy.
So I shouldn’t buy the expensive DCL statue at the gift shop? Lol

When we were hiding them on another cruise line the staff were asking for the ducks to send home to their kids.

I just got off the magic and we take a duck army with us. We take disney ducks, and tons of other types. I don't hide any the last day usually I had them the first few days that way if anyone wants to rehide them there is plenty of time to do that.

I saw some staff members find them and were super excited about it and tons of other guests and crew.

I never saw an abundance of ducks. I looked the whole time and found 5 total (I hid 50). Most people who take ducks, including myself, hide a few at a time. So, I didn't just go dump 50 ducks at once in a single stairwell or anything. I'd take 3-5 whenever I was going somewhere and hide them on my way.

I always rehide when I find them. Occasionally I'll bring them home with me and rehide on the next cruise. Like one of the ducks I hid last week was a duck I found on a carnival cruise a few months ago!

I just got off the magic and we take a duck army with us. We take disney ducks, and tons of other types. I don't hide any the last day usually I had them the first few days that way if anyone wants to rehide them there is plenty of time to do that.

I saw some staff members find them and were super excited about it and tons of other guests and crew.

I never saw an abundance of ducks. I looked the whole time and found 5 total (I hid 50). Most people who take ducks, including myself, hide a few at a time. So, I didn't just go dump 50 ducks at once in a single stairwell or anything. I'd take 3-5 whenever I was going somewhere and hide them on my way.

I always rehide when I find them. Occasionally I'll bring them home with me and rehide on the next cruise. Like one of the ducks I hid last week was a duck I found on a carnival cruise a few months ago!
Our next cruise will be the first time we have done the ducks and I'm excited. I will most likely rehide any that I find.

I'd sure hate to be the owner of a duck that caused injury or death. Imagine the criminal prosecution or lawsuit that might occur.

You would not expect selfies or gender reveal parties to cause injury or death, but they do! Someone will always take it too far.

-Paul

I'd sure hate to be the owner of a duck that caused injury or death. Imagine the criminal prosecution or lawsuit that might occur.

You would not expect selfies or gender reveal parties to cause injury or death, but they do! Someone will always take it too far.

-Paul
and just how is a hidden duck going to cause injury?

If you're going on the Disney Wish be aware the current Youth Activities manager seems to find joy in picking these up around the ship and keeping them all for himself and tossing out the ones he doesn't want to keep. He often instructs his team to collect these immediately to be "sanitized" and then they just stay in his office for the rest of the cruise. Kinda defeats the purpose if it's all going to one person

and just how is a hidden duck going to cause injury?

Some people put these in remarkably stupid places that should be kept clear like near clearly marked emergency exits or even where we have hidden access to lifesaving equipment. If it's a good hiding spot, chances are we have something hidden there that guests aren't supposed to have access to.

But the worst thing to look out for is a duck blocking a sensor for the fire doors that close off the fire zones on the ship. This is when a safety officer notices and calls the crew in the area to remove whatever it is because imagine there's a fire, lights don't work and there's smoke in an area and a duck is the reason why the fire's not contained. Crew will just move it or toss it tbh

-Paul
:jumping1:I'm fairly certain a small toy duck isn't going to kill anyone. A small rubber duck on a chair or table or else isn't causing a hazard.

Some people put these in remarkably stupid places that should be kept clear like near clearly marked emergency exits or even where we have hidden access to lifesaving equipment. If it's a good hiding spot, chances are we have something hidden there that guests aren't supposed to have access to.

But the worst thing to look out for is a duck blocking a sensor for the fire doors that close off the fire zones on the ship. This is when a safety officer notices and calls the crew in the area to remove whatever it is because imagine there's a fire, lights don't work and there's smoke in an area and a duck is the reason why the fire's not contained. Crew will just move it or toss it tbh
I'm quite surprised just how many people are really determined to ruin peoples fun. If you don't want to do the ducks, don't do it. It's that simple. Just like pin trading or the old Vinylmation trading. No one is putting them anywhere dangerous, like someone claimed the ducks would get someone killed. If there was something unsafe (highly unlikely given the crew are onboard looking all the time), they'd be removed. But lets all be honest, most people just put them on chairs, tables, by the drink station. No one is going to set fire to the boat because they placed a duck somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter