Hiding ducks on the cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a group for my cruise this week they plan to hide a certain color of ducks that can be exchanged for prizes. I can't help but wonder how many of these ducks are going to get nabbed by other folks who have no idea and aren't in the group. Theyre just gonna grab any duck they see... I just hope all the ducks go home and aren't left in the trash or worse, tossed to the sea. :confused3

Ducks are public domain. Maybe your group needs to rethink the plan.

I kinda want to see where that goes. I’m expecting:
someone to bring similar ducks.
Sadly someone will complain.
Several won’t know the benefits of color.
But some will get a prize so bonus there.
Many will get ducks.
Some will hang on to the duck with prize tag and not claim prize.
I expect the social media page will be crazy and most will not open it until they are back in us port to keep internet costs down.
Still happy to give a few ducks myself, but I’m not going to search for rewards after I find a duck.

I'd be surprised if DCL allows this. I know you can't hide things (like geocaching or painted rocks) in the theme parks.

If found, such items are often trashed or destroyed.
thats exactly the guideline the custodial CMs have on the ship: if it has a tag to who it belongs it is supposed to go guest relations to return to sender, any untagged/anonymous duck they are supposed to throw away. The CM on the Dream in January that told me also told me she find it a waste throwing it away so she will try to 'lure' a child into finding it so she doesn't have to throw it away.

thats exactly the guideline the custodial CMs have on the ship: if it has a tag to who it belongs it is supposed to go guest relations to return to sender, any untagged/anonymous duck they are supposed to throw away. The CM on the Dream in January that told me also told me she find it a waste throwing it away so she will try to 'lure' a child into finding it so she doesn't have to throw it away.
I knew CMs were good with helping kids find these so they didn’t end up in trash. Several I talked to last month also said they did the same. But they were surprised how quickly they go. They see one and it’s gone minutes later.
I feel like I stink at hiding things. One cruise, where my dad was not with, I never had a duck last over 5 min. And I didn’t get to see them found either.

Whew some of the comments here, as an avid duck hider I just wanted to shed some light on the subject. Hiding ducks is just for fun. No one is forcing anyone to participate.

Its not about everyone finding one, or anything like that. Its similar to pixie dust. Just something fun and extra! This concept started with Carnival and has been branching out to other cruise lines for years. Based on the comments it sounds like there are other games people are playing with the ducks but the original purpose and idea is hide a duck for any cruiser to find. Not just people in your group. They then can keep or rehide.

For example, we just got off a canvial cruise a few weeks ago. I have a duck I found on that cruise I plan to rehide on the Magic when we go in Sept. Just something fun!

We are bringing about 50 ducks to hide on our next cruise, I have more but I'll probably save them for my Nov cruise. They'll be tagged and ready to go! Its cool seeing where people are from, finding the ducks, etc. My kids LOVE looking for ducks and they don't get upset when they don't find one. Its just a fun game. Its not like participation trophies :)

I made tags for ours that'll get attached to each duck. The QR code takes you to a cruise duck group where people share pictures of ducks they found.

I actually met some awesome people post cruise over ducks! We hid them on our first cruise and someone found me in that group 6 months later! We hid hockey player ducks because my kids play hockey and we found out their kids (now grown) were former hockey players so it really made their day to find the duck.

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 22
  • ducks.jpg
    ducks.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 22
Whew some of the comments here, as an avid duck hider I just wanted to shed some light on the subject. Hiding ducks is just for fun.
I agree with what you said. It's something fun. When I looked at your pictures the card looks like Disney is officially supporting or involved. Just a friendly suggestion you may want to eliminate the Disney logo and lettering. Disney has been protective of their logos in the past.
I am going to rethink our ducks. It's a lot of money and missed smilies for CM to be throwing in the garbage.

I agree with what you said. It's something fun. When I looked at your pictures the card looks like Disney is officially supporting or involved. Just a friendly suggestion you may want to eliminate the Disney logo and lettering. Disney has been protective of their logos in the past.
I am going to rethink our ducks. It's a lot of money and missed smilies for CM to be throwing in the garbage.
All the cast members I've ever talked to say the cast even collects them. As in they keep them not throw them away. Around COVID yes I am sure things were thrown away normally tho I think its pretty uncommon for cast members to toss them versus leave them/keep them.

Probably because prior to ever seeing this thread, I would have thought it was garbage and thought I was doing the right thing taking five seconds to help keep the ship clean.
Prior to seeing any Duck thread, I took the duck I found to the Guest Services Desk. It’s a family cruise, kids leave toys everywhere! Then the parents spend days and money to get the toy sent back home from the ship. Kids cry and want some of the worst ripped and torn blankets and stuffed animals back. If it’s a train station, airport, McDonald’s or DCL I’m turning it in. I’m thinking you would have at least given it to a near by CM. I’ll bet that the trash would not have been your very first thought for a toy.

All the cast members I've ever talked to say the cast even collects them. As in they keep them not throw them away. Around COVID yes I am sure things were thrown away normally tho I think its pretty uncommon for cast members to toss them versus leave them/keep them.
Several others in this discussion claim the CM throw them away. You have now shared they don't. Hum...two contradictory statements. Logically it doesn't make sense CM would throw them away. Nor does it make sense someone saw 2 in a garbage can. You can't easily see in the trash cans on board. I will tend to go with your statement and go ahead and bring a couple. Thanks

No it would be different if the money is hidden. It's pretty cool to see reactions when people find it. Especially little kids
I like the idea, but I don’t think you want to be hiding $$ and waiting for someone to find them (because you want to hide them!, not make it obvious).

I have often done random acts of kindness in the parks, including pretending a kid dropped a $20…”is this yours, it’s not mine, so it must be yours”…you get to see the kid smile and off you go with a big smile too.

As for the subject of ducks. I probably wouldn’t get into hiding them myself, but it sounds fun and I’ll definitely be on the lookout on my next cruise.

So the fact your dad even needed to do thus is what turned me to “hate” on my last cruise. In looking through the facebook messages that posted during the cruise, saw posts from parents of little kids toward the end of the cruise begging to be pixie dusted a duck because they had gotten their kid so excited about ducks and the child was so sad they couldn’t find one. And that was next to posts from adults who posted photos of the dozens of ducks they’d found and were taking home. Reminded me of when I was little and we went to an easter egg hunt and all the big kids has basketfulls of eggs and I couldn’t find one. Much prefer FE where everyone gets something and there are no sad little kids coming away empty handed.
Oh come on folks, by that logic you’d cancel everything that ever made anyone sad…

Christmas - cancelled. Because your next door neighbors kids didn’t get the new PS5 game. Your twins did. Neighbors kids sad.
School races - I came in second. Not first. I am sad. School races canceled for everyone
I went to KFC (this happened btw), and they were out of chicken breasts. I was sad. No more chicken for anyone. Shut down all KFCs globally. If I can’t have chicken, no one should have chicken

I’m a happy guy! I’d love a world where everyone was happy. But such is life.

I think it’s harmless fun. And maybe the parent could bring a duck if they really want their kid to find one but can’t! “Hey, look here…surprise”!!!

Everyone wins

Last edited:
I guess my perspective is that if you don’t like/get it, just don’t participate. If you think it’s fun, do it. Let people like what they like 🤷‍♀️
This is the way!!!!
I'm sure the couple was 100% sure that their gender reveal party was not going to start a wildfire. They are now charged with 30 crimes and the death of a firefighter.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/21/us/gender-reveal-el-dorado-wildfire-charges/index.html

Somebody will always take it too far...

-Paul
HAHAHAHA…that’s a giant leap for mankind. By that logic, ANYTHING is possible. Hey, the captain could get a bit tipsy on his day off and decide he wants to drive the boat into a rock…

Someone will always take it to far.

Paul, I have to give you props. I am getting a lot of amusement out of your comments. I thank you sir!! I needed a good laugh!!
I was on the fence about ducks, that is until I read the negative comments. Now I'm ALL IN! lol
My nephew works on the Fantasy, he said it's a big deal right now and the CMs encourage the fun and are mostly in on it. Pixie Dust is in the eye of the beholder, let those of us who need a little extra in our lives enjoy it. Don't be mean!!
Same!!! I was agnostic to them. This thread has turned that around!!

TThere are more duck hiding “convertees” following this thread than before it started.

I would like to put in a sincere request. Can we keep the ducks and leave the roudy children at home? Is that possible? Pleaaaaaasee

On my last cruise some lazy parents let their kids scream at the top of their lungs on the verandah for an hour at 6AM. I eventually got up and asked them to stop.

Y’all got me to thinking, if that stateroom was occupied by a family of rubber ducks. Well, I’d have had a much more peaceful morning.

TThere are more duck hiding “convertees” following this thread than before it started.

I would like to put in a sincere request. Can we keep the ducks and leave the roudy children at home? Is that possible? Pleaaaaaasee

On my last cruise some lazy parents let their kids scream at the top of their lungs on the verandah for an hour at 6AM. I eventually got up and asked them to stop.

Y’all got me to thinking, if that stateroom was occupied by a family of rubber ducks. Well, I’d have had a much more peaceful morning.

You need to switch to Holland America ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter