Hollywood Studios Strategies

I’m wondering if there will be something to prevent people from switching their reservation at the last minute. At Disneyland prior to COVID, I had the flex pass which meant I had to make a park reservation to go. If you were a no show on two reservations (I think) then you were locked out of reservations for a while. And you had to cancel 24 hours before. They probably need to implement this kind of system to discourage people from making fake reservations.

And just like that there are NO openings at HS left for resort guests on any day in December.

To be fair, December was SUPER close to being full before that, I think there was maybe 5 open days? (We're going in December too so I've been watching daily).

I don’t think the issue will be fake reservations. But will people chose DHS for every day of their trip then, on the days they don’t get a BG, switch that day to another park. So for example i have DHS for all 6 days of my trip. Day 1 I don’t get a BG so I change that day’s reservation to MK. Day 2 still no luck, change that day to AK. Day 3 SCORE so I go to DHS. Maybe I do this days 4, 5 and 6 to try and ride multiple times. Or maybe, once I am successful, I change the rest of the days.
So you aren’t a no show just going to a different park.

We would like to be at the parks pretty early, particularly HS so we can get on Runaway Railway.

We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge, were thinking about driving to get in early but last time we were there they held cars at the front and it seemed like maybe the car wasn't the best idea.

Any tips on getting in early?

The best way to get into the studios early is to Uber to either the Swan or the Speedway near the Boardwalk, and then walk to the studios. If you get to the Studios a little after 8:00 AM (assuming 10:00 AM opening), you should be one of the first in line, and should be able to walk on MMRR.

I don’t think the issue will be fake reservations. But will people chose DHS for every day of their trip then, on the days they don’t get a BG, switch that day to another park. So for example i have DHS for all 6 days of my trip. Day 1 I don’t get a BG so I change that day’s reservation to MK. Day 2 still no luck, change that day to AK. Day 3 SCORE so I go to DHS. Maybe I do this days 4, 5 and 6 to try and ride multiple times. Or maybe, once I am successful, I change the rest of the days.
So you aren’t a no show just going to a different park.
That is a lot of risk for a expensive trip. I know currently other parks have openings but can you imagine doing that then not being able to get another reservation

We are definitely planning to Uber to the Speedway for our DHS day. Does anyone have advice on how to get to AK early for a 7 am opening? We are staying off property with a car, but might decide to Uber if that would make any difference.

For some, ROTR is the top priority of the trip. I don’t think everyone would do it but it WILL be a strategy for the diehards.

Last edited:
The best way to get into the studios early is to Uber to either the Swan or the Speedway near the Boardwalk, and then walk to the studios. If you get to the Studios a little after 8:00 AM (assuming 10:00 AM opening), you should be one of the first in line, and should be able to walk on MMRR.

Thanks. We have a baby with us so not sure if Uber is an option for us.
If Uber is out of the question, what time do the buses start from the resort? Or should we drive our own car?

We would like to be at the parks pretty early, particularly HS so we can get on Runaway Railway.

We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge, were thinking about driving to get in early but last time we were there they held cars at the front and it seemed like maybe the car wasn't the best idea.

Any tips on getting in early?

Disney lets cars start lining up at 8:45am, with the lot opening at 9am. If you arrive before 8:45am by car, they'll turn you around. An Uber will not get in sooner then you can driving- Ubers take the same route as other car traffic and can't get in before the lot opens. I'm not sure about the FW bus schedule.

We are definitely planning to Uber to the Speedway for our DHS day. Does anyone have advice on how to get to AK early for a 7 am opening? We are staying off property with a car, but might decide to Uber if that would make any difference.

Rideshare and driving yourself would be the same. They all enter through the parking gates when they open.

What happened to the availability calendar? I had it bookmarked but the link isn't working anymore. Do you have to have park tickets to access it now? I have an August trip I am planning but I didn't want to buy tickets until the reservations started filling up.

For those having trouble opening the calendar, go to the landing page for Disney World.

Click on “View important details” within the important information right at the top of the landing page.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Disney Parks Pass System”.

Scroll to the paragraph headed “Want to book a new vacation?” The link for the availability calendar is in that paragraph.

FWIW, a cast member on a page I follow just wrote that he had training in the system yesterday, and there will be no location filter. The system will only check if the guest has valid admission and a DHS park pass for that day.

This CM has always given very credible info.

FWIW, a cast member on a page I follow just wrote that he had training in the system yesterday, and there will be no location filter. The system will only check if the guest has valid admission and a DHS park pass for that day.

This CM has always given very credible info.
Makes sense to me. I’m not sure they can geolocate precisely enough to use a location filter. Every time I log on to the DVC Member website I get an email telling me that “someone” logged on and giving an approximate location. It’s been very interesting to see where the signal comes from - it’s not always from anywhere near where I am, because of the ways internet connections are routed.

With the initial boarding group policy for RoR changing on 11/3 I think you'll see a big decrease in the rope drop crowds. I agree with above posters and I would rope drop and get those must do rides checked off the list first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter