Hong Kong Disneyland questions.

Neha

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We are heading to HK Disneyland in March. I have a few questions & would love any advice. :)

We will be staying at the Disneyland Hollywood hotel. How do we get to this hotel from the airport? Is there a free shuttle or similar? Is it worth using? I think I read in someones tr that you have to wait ages while the shuttle waits and picks up many many people?

How do we go via the train? Will this trip include the ride on the mickey mouse train? I have seen ppl suggest getting a octopus card. How do I get one of these? 5 people are traveling, me and my husband + 5 year old + 3 year old & a 1 year old. Do we need a card each?

How about Taxi..how much do they charge?

Also would like to visit Ngong Ping and ride the cable cars. How do I get there from Hollywood hotel? How long does it take approx?

Would like to visit Victoria Peak as well. How would I get there from the Hollywood hotel? How long would it take?

With 3 kids..I'm looking for the fastest and easiest options and dont mind spending a bit extra for those.

Thanks everyone! :)

Hello,

We are heading to HK Disneyland in March. I have a few questions & would love any advice. :)

We will be staying at the Disneyland Hollywood hotel. How do we get to this hotel from the airport? Is there a free shuttle or similar? Is it worth using? I think I read in someones tr that you have to wait ages while the shuttle waits and picks up many many people?

How do we go via the train? Will this trip include the ride on the mickey mouse train? I have seen ppl suggest getting a octopus card. How do I get one of these? 5 people are traveling, me and my husband + 5 year old + 3 year old & a 1 year old. Do we need a card each?

Also would like to visit Ngong Ping and ride the cable cars. How do I get there from Hollywood hotel? How long does it take approx?

Would like to visit Victoria Peak as well. How would I get there from the Hollywood hotel? How long would it take?

With 3 kids..I'm looking for the fastest and easiest options and dont mind spending a bit extra for those.

The Hollywood Hotel is my favorite Disney hotel. There's no shuttle, but the taxi is relatively inexpensive; I take it both ways. I've only taken the Disney train once and it was just a quick out-and-back.

I don't usually leave HKDL, because I stay for just 3 days. I hope someone can help with the rest of your questions.

Make sure you ride Mystic Manor!

Hello,

Congrats. Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

I went there in March 2012. We arrived late at night and we decided to catch the taxi from the airport to the Disney area. I was travelling with my parents, my DH and DS12; so there was 5 of us in a taxi. There is no free shuttle from the airport to Disney. You'll either have to take a bus shuttle, the train (I think you need to change lines once) or taxi.

I checked my TR notes; seems like the taxi cost about HK$126 to get there. The exchange rate is about 8:1; so that's about $17. I think it ended up being the cheapest option for the 5 of us.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44580871&posted=1#post44580871

If you decide to catch the taxi to the Hollywood Hotel, you can then either catch the shuttle bus from the hotel to the park entrance. You could walk it...it would take about 15 minutes or so; but with your little ones, you probably want to catch the (free) Disney shuttle bus. It's about 5 minutes away and it is lineball as to whether you get to the park entrance quicker by walking or by waiting for the shuttle. Where the shuttle bus lets out is where you will find the MTR Disneyland train station.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44738960&posted=1#post44738960

I bought my Octopus Card (OC) from the Train Station. The ticket booth is right at the one corner of the Train Station at the ground level. You'll be able to see what I mean from one of the pictures I took on the night before (in the previous link).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44798100&posted=1#post44798100

I don't know if your younger kids need the OC. But I'm pretty sure that if you can't find the information online that the customer service person at the station will be able to help you out.

The Mickey train runs from the DL Train station to Sunny Bay. That's the only stations it runs between. To get anywhere in Hong Kong or to get back to DLHK, you'll need to change trains at Sunny Bay station and get on the Mickey train. As you're planning on seeing some of HK from the Hollywood Hotel, you will be catching this train a few times. So if you miss it on arrival, it won't matter much.

It would depend on where you are travelling between. But if from the airport to Disney, it will end up being HK $130 or so.

From the HK Disneyland train station to Ngong Ping, catch the train to Sunny Bay and interchange to the line heading in the Tung Chung direction (yellow line). It should take you about 15 minutes (or less) to get to Tung Chung.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44933775&posted=1#post44933775

If you were doing this from HKDL, you would catch the train to Sunny Bay, transfer to the Hong Kong line (Yellow), transfer again at Lai King station to the Central line (Red). From there, we would walk to the Victoria Tram Terminal and catch the tram up to the Peak. I think it may take at least 30 - 45 minutes for this.

We went to Victoria Peak twice. Once at night...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44804525&posted=1#post44804525

...and the second time during the morning.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44813742#post44813742

Taxi is fastest and probably easiest. But the MTR was brilliant for us. Then again, we have a 12 year old and he quite likes planes, trains and automobiles.

You will pay more with the taxi and they don't have seat belts or child seats over there.

I would recommend the trains and then use taxi for the times where your kids are more tired.

There are a couple of us that have been to HK and I'm sure the others might wander in with their views over the next couple of days.

So, if you have any more questions, ask away.

Have a great trip!

While at HKDL, you can ask the CMs for stickers (for free). The CMs at the shops also has them, and are usually more generous in giving out more of them.

If you want to take picture with the Castle, do it in the morning.
In the afternoon the sun sets behind the castle and it is hard to get a proper picture.

The new Mystic Point has a very good restaurant with tasty food, (not just burgers and fries). Quick service, yet very good quality. Another place I like to eat at is Corner Cafe, which is table service.

If you have more questions, ask away. :)

Another question..Checkout time is at 11am at the Hollywood hotel but our flight isn't until 8pm. How much in advance do we need to be at the airport?

Can we leave our luggage at the hotel after checkout and go to the park until we need to be at the airport? Or do we need to drag our luggage with us where ever we go between 11am and 8pm?

Thanks.. :)

Another question..Checkout time is at 11am at the Hollywood hotel but our flight isn't until 8pm. How much in advance do we need to be at the airport?

Can we leave our luggage at the hotel after checkout and go to the park until we need to be at the airport? Or do we need to drag our luggage with us where ever we go between 11am and 8pm?

I think most people recommend getting to the airport 3 hours before your flight.

This may give you an idea of luggage at the Hollywood Hotel. I was walking there at around 9 am in the morning. I don't know if they have a special room for luggage or if this is standard. It might be that these bags were all part of an organised tour; I never asked so I don't know. But it seems like most people were leaving their luggage at the hotel after check-out.

The other option is to see if there are any lockers at the airport and to make a trip out there with the luggage after you check out.

There's a baggage check at the airport. You can leave it there all day while you're at the parks. I do that every time. Make sure you leave enough time to pick up the bags at the end of the day, though, because a lot of people do that and you may have to wait in line. They'll also call a taxi for you to get you to the airport, if you need it.

Hello,
hi Neha, we just got back on Monday so I'm happy to help and have lots of photos to share. Princess in Oz has answered almost everything but I'm still happy to add some things - I'm happy for you to friend me on FB or PM me for details. I have 2 children and we are from Australia so I can assist with family questions :) I'm just getting my nails done so typing with 1 finger so I will write more tonight.
Jennifer

x

You've got great info so far, just wanted to add a few tips.

1. When you get off your flight you should see a Visitor's Center in the airport. They will have maps, info on taxis, trains, etc. Go talk to them with all your questions. They are very helpful.
2. I recommend taking a cab to the hotel upon arrival and saving the Disney train for later as it is not direct.
3. There are three types of cabs in HK and they are color coded. I can not remember which color is for Lantau Island, but there are signs that clearly spell out which cabs go where, including info on DL. If you take the wrong cab, you will pay more. You can also get this info from the Visitor's Center, including a brochure.

Thanks everyone. I sent them an email a few days ago and got a reply today. They do allow guests to leave luggage after or before checkin at the hotel. So that is great! :)

Also wondering where you guys had your breakfast each day? We will be there for 4 days and will do character brekkie for 1 day. What other options are there? Is it cheaper to eat in the park rather than at the hotel?

Another question..with Magic access, if I get the platinum card, it says i get a free high tea at grand saloon in my birthday month. is high tea the same as afternoon tea? Has anyone had the high tea at grand saloon, is it any good?

And it says i get a free buffet dinner..anyone if i'm staying at the hollywood hotel can i redeem this coupon at the Enchanted garden restaurant? or only at Chef Mickeys? On the website it sound like if you stay at Hollywood hotel it can only be redeemed at Chef Mickeys. They say

"Enjoy a free breakfast or dinner buffet (buy 1 get 1 free) at Chef Mickey in Disney's Hollywood Hotel or Enchanted Garden Restaurant in Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel for Member during birthday month for once with at least 1 paying Guest. Breakfast or dinner buffet coupon must be used during the Member's stay in either Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel (can only be used in Enchanted Garden Restaurant) or Disney's Hollywood Hotel (can only be used in Chef Mickey). "

Anyone know?

Thanks again :)

There is a bakery in the on Main Street in the park. You can get bakery items there as breakfast. That would be cheaper than having breakfast at the hotel.

High tea is afternoon tea. It is quite nice.

You've got great info so far, just wanted to add a few tips.

1. When you get off your flight you should see a Visitor's Center in the airport. They will have maps, info on taxis, trains, etc. Go talk to them with all your questions. They are very helpful.
2. I recommend taking a cab to the hotel upon arrival and saving the Disney train for later as it is not direct.
3. There are three types of cabs in HK and they are color coded. I can not remember which color is for Lantau Island, but there are signs that clearly spell out which cabs go where, including info on DL. If you take the wrong cab, you will pay more. You can also get this info from the Visitor's Center, including a brochure.

Good tips. :)

Wow I'm a bit late to the party! :headache: I've been twice now, both times in March! We had great, mild weather and low crowds on both occasions :thumbsup2

Looks like everyone's covered your main questions. I'd agree that a taxi is definitely the easiest and most straight-forward way to get to and from the airport, especially with small children.

Ngong Ping is very easy to get to from HKDL and won't take long at all. You will also get to experience the Mickey train on your journey. I would encourage you to check that it is operational though before you go as March seems to be a good time for maintenance.

I see that you have found out about the luggage storage now. FWIW, there is also luggage storage at the park. It was a fairly reasonable rate, and very easy. We just took the train to the airport, so we thought it made sense to store our luggage at the park, rather than have to go back to the hotel to get our luggage back, then go all the way back nearly to the park again to catch the train. It gave us at least another half an hour in the park. If you're catching a taxi from the hotel, it's probably just as easy to store your luggage there for free.

I would definitely take full advantage of the free high tea for your birthday! It's something I've been meaning to do but haven't got around to yet. The Grand Saloon is a really lovely area to sit for a while, and the cakes and other goodies looked very appealing.

I don't have any personal experience with the birthday offers, but it certainly sounds like you can only have the free buffet dinner at Chef Mickey's if you're staying at the Hollywood Hotel. Chef Mickey's is great for dinner, and Mickey even makes an appearance (but be warned that it will be very expensive for the other people in your party). So that you also get to experience Enchanted Garden, I would try to have your character breakfast there. We really enjoyed ours.

And speaking of breakfast, the bakery in the park is a great option for a quick breakfast. The other option that we found was going to Hollywood & Dine at the Hollywood Hotel. It's kind of cafeteria style and has a variety of cheap pre-packaged items. I picked up a tub of yoghurt and a tub of two fruits and had that for breakfast one morning. They also have a small menu of hot breakfast items (mainly Asian style).

Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone. I sent them an email a few days ago and got a reply today. They do allow guests to leave luggage after or before checkin at the hotel. So that is great! :)

Also wondering where you guys had your breakfast each day? We will be there for 4 days and will do character brekkie for 1 day. What other options are there? Is it cheaper to eat in the park rather than at the hotel?

Another question..with Magic access, if I get the platinum card, it says i get a free high tea at grand saloon in my birthday month. is high tea the same as afternoon tea? Has anyone had the high tea at grand saloon, is it any good?

And it says i get a free buffet dinner..anyone if i'm staying at the hollywood hotel can i redeem this coupon at the Enchanted garden restaurant? or only at Chef Mickeys? On the website it sound like if you stay at Hollywood hotel it can only be redeemed at Chef Mickeys. They say

"Enjoy a free breakfast or dinner buffet (buy 1 get 1 free) at Chef Mickey in Disney's Hollywood Hotel or Enchanted Garden Restaurant in Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel for Member during birthday month for once with at least 1 paying Guest. Breakfast or dinner buffet coupon must be used during the Member's stay in either Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel (can only be used in Enchanted Garden Restaurant) or Disney's Hollywood Hotel (can only be used in Chef Mickey). "

Anyone know?

Thanks again :)

High tea is the same as afternoon tea. When we went, it was my mother's birthday and she enjoyed the high tea at the salon. I wasn't there with her but she thought it was worth the freebie.

We stayed at the HKDL Hotel had breakfast at Walt's Cafe for two of the mornings we were there. We also had buffet breakfast at Enchanted Garden restaurant on the 3rd morning.

Compared to being in Hong Kong City, the breakfast at Walt's was comparatively expensive. But we enjoyed it enough to return the second morning and never experienced having to get breakfast in the park.

i Have a year pass to HKDL
Im a flight crew member and go all the time.
The octopus card can be purchased at any train station. I have one and it is very easy to use. it can also be used to purchase thing like a visa card at several convince stores. ALso you can just add money to the card you will each need your own card.

Take a taxi to and from the airport because the train from airport does not go to Disney. You would have to go into Hong Kong then back to Sunnybay.
But going to the cable cars to see the Giant Buda is very easy and use back and forth to Hong Kong Island is awesome very easy and clean.

The park is small but they have add 3 new lands which i think are awesome.

Do they accept American Visa cards ? Or just union pay?

Off topic but I read your blog. My daughter works for Disney English, she works in Beijing and just started the end of November. So far it has been quite an experience for her as well and she has been surprised at how much she enjoys the city and the people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter