How did you get your current job?

First time the opportunity for my current employer came open me and a co-worker from my previous company both applied. He was offered the opening at that time as he was a better fit for what they wanted (and I told them so during my interview).

Second time a position came open it was not a good time in my personal situation to make a change.

Third - and last time - the opportunity presented itself it was a perfect fit for my experience and the time was also well aligned with my life. Took it and have been enjoying life more since then!

I pretty much stalked their job listing website and applied for every posting until one stuck lol. It took a LONG time just to get a foot in the door, I'd been applying for this organization since I graduated in 2012 and just got the job back in Jan. 2022 (Wow, I never realized that it took a whopping 10 years to get here. Jeeze. Government jobs lol) I got a foot in the door of working for my state (Driver's License Examiner...do not recommend.) back in 2015 by just applying on the posting board online and went from there to working in expunging criminal records before finally getting the break I was looking for!

By leaving last year and coming back this year. I left my current organization for a new job. Hated the new job. Heard my former organization was losing a bunch of people. Reached out and came back for a promotion and a raise.

I applied directly to the company job board. I had worked there before as a sub-contractor, so that probably helped.

I applied, interviewed, and got hired. That's how I've gotten all my jobs. Starting a new one in a couple of weeks.

My husband is a project/program manager as well now (he recently retired from the military) and he is in a contract role currently, but as a W2 employee via an agency that provides benefits and handled all the payroll taxes and stuff.

A lot of companies have moved to this model for project management, but in the case of the company where my husband works, they are always looking to move those people into full time roles and he is constantly being given more responsibilities and working with different departments so that he is "visible" when something permanent opens up. The company has a good track record of hiring people on permanently once they prove themselves. I was initially hesitant about the "contract" aspect of this job after 22 years of having a guaranteed paycheck every 1st and 15th, but there are definitely benefits to working this way (higher pay, more flexible scheduling, being able to take time off as needed, albeit unpaid, but still).
I agree with that. I've moved into doing contract work with two different companies. The flexibility is great. The lack of PTO kind of stinks, but I can take time off whenever I want. I love the freedom.

I'm in the beginning stages of looking for a new job. I've been here almost 3 years and as much as I like the actual work, I cannot deal with my boss anymore. I've only reported to her the past year, and things are getting worse every day. But anyway, I'm curious as to how most people find their jobs? Indeed? LinkIn? Know someone? I'm trying it all!
Really only had 3 real jobs in my 63 years and I got an interview at all three because I knew someone. I like to think I actually got the jobs because of my sparking personality. 😉

Getting your current job can be a unique journey for everyone. Some folks find opportunities through networking, job boards, or educational institutions.

Through a friend of a friend. Of course, I had to pass a test, etc., and also I had good experience in my field. Interestingly, the way I got that experience was from a job that I got through a friend of a friend.

I got my current job by retiring. Best job I ever had, but the income is quite a bit less. The key word for success is "downsize"! :)

I got out of the Marines and applied for a job where my Dad works at. So of course that helped a lot. Not many people can say what I have done. I have never applied for a job that I didn’t get. Had three jobs in my life. 14-18 worked at a seed company. 18-22 USMC. Than the job I have now. I’m 53 now. I have been at current job and hopefully my last job for 31 years. Around 10 years left.

Through a friend of a friend. Of course, I had to pass a test, etc., and also I had good experience in my field. Interestingly, the way I got that experience was from a job that I got through a friend of a friend.
It's not what you know, it's who you know.
18-22 USMC. Than the job I have now. I’m 53 now. I have been at current job and hopefully my last job for 31 years. Around 10 years left.
As the average college grad will change, not jobs, but careers, six times in their life, you are a rarity. And thank you for your service.

I'm in the beginning stages of looking for a new job. I've been here almost 3 years and as much as I like the actual work, I cannot deal with my boss anymore. I've only reported to her the past year, and things are getting worse every day. But anyway, I'm curious as to how most people find their jobs? Indeed? LinkIn? Know someone? I'm trying it all!
Linked in is pretty good - but you do need to be careful that the company\manager is not following you.
Just seeing activity on your linked in might be a red flag for your current employer - I've seen it happen.

People you know is a big part of it. When an employee brings in someone's resume its going to get looked at a bit more closely than a random one. For the most part an employee wont just bring in any resume as they have to deal with the fallout if it does not go well. That said I have brought in marginal people just to get the finders fee and I did regret it. Luckily I brought in far more good ones than bad so even though the bad ones get mentioned, even years later, its mostly in jest.

A lot of it is just luck - most of my jobs I've just lucked into or knew someone who brought me in.
When a company is in growing stages they just hire a lot of folks, that's how I got my last job that ended up lasting for over 10 years.

Personality and confidence is a big part of it - I was not always the best person for the job, but I could sell myself.
When I hire people I look for people that will fit in with my team first and foremost - anything else we can work with.
I then send those folks to the team leads to see if they have enough of the knowledge we need.
Hiring someone who knows "everything" but cant fit in or get along with the team just does not make sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter