How do you all afford it?

Ms. Shuttergirl

DIS Veteran
So many of you lucky people go to DL and WDW regularly and I'm wondering how on earth you afford to go so often?

I know our trip last September was extravagant in some areas and we could definitely do the next trip alot more "financially responsibly" :rotfl2: but still, we couldn't afford to go every year.

Do you have some incredible way of saving for these trips? A money tree in the backyard :lmao:? Or are you just full of amazing money saving tips that you could share with us more "saving challenged" Disney fanatics.

I would love to hear some tips that will help me get back to the land of Mickey regularly...

When I buy something I always pay with a note and at the end of every day put all my coins in my money box - its amazing how fast it adds up! Ebay is a great way to not only get a bit of extra cash but to get rid of a lot of clutter, I'm currently getting ready to sell up some more of my stuff and clear some room under the bed.

I also keep reminders everywhere, not just of my Disney holidays but all of my trips. Disney magnets on the fridge, a few US dollars in my purse, Stitch bobble head on the dashboard - little things that make you think twice about spending money on something you don't really need.

You should always make sure you pay yourself first on payday too. Work out how much you can afford to save from each pay and have it disbursed to a savings account so you don't even see it - opening an account with a different bank also means you are less likely to be tempted to dip in to it when doing your regular banking.

Good luck with the saving!

Luisa, I love the idea of keeping little reminders around the house, and also some US money in your wallet.

As of 6 weeks ago I have started paying money into a bank account specifically for holidays and hope to be able to make that system work quite well for me. Good to hear it works for you.

Thanks for the tips.

I agree with you Ms Shuttergirl, I would really like to know how people do it. Although we went last year and are planning on going again this year that will probably be it. Two trips in 2 years will possibly wipe me out for the rest of my life :lmao:

For me I think the fact that airfares have been so low, coupled with the great AUD has kind of pushed me. I often think that if I don't go again now (and we really, more than anything want to see Disneyland at Christmas) I may not be in a position to go further down the track. I still remind myself of when a return flight would have cost about $4000.

Also personally, I find it actually better for myself financially if I have something to save towards. If I am not putting money away every month towards something, I know that I will end up spending it on other things. Usually frivolous things (Disney is not frivolous at all :rotfl: ).

So yes, we will be going 2 years in a row but not after that. If I could learn how the others afford to go every year I would be incredibly grateful :hug:

xxx

We go every other year but I have family there which obviously keeps the costs down. We also have a travel fund and put about $150.00 a week into it. We also put our tax return money into that same account. We also use our Qantas frequent flyer credit card to pay for everything to earn the points. So far every two years we only have to pay for two out of four flights. And of course the current strength of the AUD and the lower airfares makes it much easier. In fact we will pay cash for our airfares this time that way in two years we will have four free flights when prices might be higher.

For me I think the fact that airfares have been so low, coupled with the great AUD has kind of pushed me. I often think that if I don't go again now (and we really, more than anything want to see Disneyland at Christmas) I may not be in a position to go further down the track. I still remind myself of when a return flight would have cost about $4000.
I think you have hit the nail on the head.
The current specials on flights are just irresistible. And when we see an irresistible special that starts the ball rolling.
I mean when have you EVER seen a round the world fare for $1700 that included 5 stops. Well we did while looking for Hawaii airfares and suddenly we were planning a trip to Tokyo and Paris Disney resorts!
I must say while I can splurge on some things I really value and will last I am also rather stingy in other areas.
Do you really need to replace a TV that works perfectly well just because it isn't widescreen?
Do you really need a Wii?
The best Christmas present I could ever get as a child was a holiday! Traveling is a VERY rewarding and educational experience for children (let alone adults) as well as fun.

And in terms of he trip itself -
Do you really need to go on a tour? Especially private tours and limo transfers etc. If you are willing to drive yourself around you can see WHAT you want, WHEN you want it and it really saves money. Especially when renting for a week or more there are great savings to be had on the rental.

No tour could have taken me to Ben and Jerrys in Vermont and the Corning museum and all sorts of other places we have been while doing driving tours. And you can get GREAT cheaper suite accommodation at the countless chain hotels which often include breakfast on driving holidays rather than tour hotels. Tripadvisor is a wonderful resource for finding accommodation in America.

Another saving tip for if you want to go to Disney regularly and stay on site is to buy into DVC.

Also...I regularly see people willing to pay the extra couple hundred dollars to go with a particular airline...because it has in seat entertainment. Well to me that couple hundred dollars per person will pay for other more worthwhile things and SAVE MONEY!

The key to saving money is research....and knowing your priorities in life

We can't afford it but we're going anyway! This is going to be a trip of a lifetime for us, we'll be paying it off for the rest of our lives but it will be worth it :lol:.

In the past I've mostly funded our trips through bonuses. But since being made redundant from MS last year, I've started work elsewhere that pays well, but no bonuses. :(

Our next trip is in 2012 to celebrate my 50th birthday and we'll most likely pay for that one with a combination of saving, some minimal debt and income from the new band I'm working with. (free plug) www.facebook.com/wow1969

Totally agree with car hire. We will never travel to the US without it again. Our last couple of trips have been made so much more enjoyable with a car. Did LA - Vegas in a Mustang convertable in 2007, and last year drove LA - San Diego - SF.

At the end of each month we put away a few hundred dollars into a separate bank account which we don't touch. Also anything we get back tax time goes straight into there. We also have frequent flyer points which we will use for our next trip otherwise I don't think we could afford to go.
With the strength of the Aussie dollar and the great fares I think we would be silly not to try and take advantage at the moment. We have two little kids, one who starts school soon so I think holidays are going to be harder to manage for us as the kids grow up.
Our house has missed out on renovations as at the moment I am so keen to take the kids again I have put a few things off so I can put a little extra money away!

HI OzCath,
I am also following your idea. I everyday save 10 dollar and at the end of month it becomes 300 dollar then next monday i depositted to the Bank. this the way I am saving my money for the next trip and for Air tickets I always search for the discounts on the flight.and I used to go DL in the off season like winter when the people does not want to move from their houses.

We are in the process of planning our 3rd once in a lifetime trip LOL!

The first in 2007 dear wealthy aunty shouted, the second last year we funded by selling a second car we know longer needed due to DH having a company car and this one which I'm sure will be the last, is coming out of our home. I totally agree though that when you're saving for Disney the saving and going without is all the more sweeter. :love:

Its great hearing how you all go about getting to "the happiest place on earth".

I agree that the cheap airfares are such a huge bonus and the dollar, again a wonderful upshot.

I am a terrible saver unless I have a goal and I amazed myself at how quickly I came up with the money for our last trip. We are building a new house next year so my DH says that is our "financial focus" :lmao:.

Silly boy :rotfl2:

We're really lucky because hubby's job is based out of San Francisco. He gets about 3 - 4 trips a year to SF. When he goes, accommodation in Silicon Valley is paid for - great suite/hotel with a good hot buffet breakfast, car hire for the time that he's there is paid for and he gets a daily food allowance. And we're 5 minutes away from the CalTrain station and it only takes 30 - 40 minutes using the CalTrain to get into the downtown King Street Station.

The frequent flyers really racks up as well. When the timing works out with my work and school schedule, me and my son will go as well. We've generally gotten 1 frequent flyer ticket out of every 4 trips he makes; so effectively, it's only 1 child ticket we have to pay for. But it does lock us into using Qantas.

We've (son and me) managed to make a trip to the US almost every 12months in the last 6 years, which usually corresponds with the annual June team (2 week) meeting for my husband's work. We'd go back to Europe in a heartbeat - but given the current situation, we're taking the opportunity to really see the US/Canada and visit as many National parks as possible. When one and sometimes two airfares; and about one or two weeks accommodation, food and car hire is taken care of in the US, it makes complete sense to go whenever we can. We then add on 3 or 4 weeks vacation to this and choose a different region to visit each time.

And yes, I do spend a lot of time in San Francisco bay area, especially around Belmont, San Mateo and Redwood Shores - but I love this city and we have a lot of family there as well. I normally end up having the car as hubby can work to the "campus" from where we stay; so my son and I always plan trips and excursions to do different things.

Plus, I'm fanatical about saving for holidays - irrespective of whether we have a trip planned or not. I allocate about a chunk of money per month as holiday money and then don't touch it (and even hubby doesn't know I do this) - and that's by really going without the things that everyone else seems to want rather than buying stuff to keep up with the Jones' e.g., our DVD and TV is old but they aren't broken so I don't need the big widescreen TV and flash TiVo system. I don't buy clothes in Australia and prefer to save the money towards US shopping. I know I'm lucky because hubby does the shopping on his trips and we save money buying clothes in the US (I do a lot of on-line browsing and he goes to the shops and checks out the sizing for me. We spend a fortune on his international MMS when this happens! :rotfl2: He also buys our son's clothes as well).

I also make it a point to set a food budget and then scan the catalogues for specials. I also buy in bulk (Costco has been fantastic for me in Melbourne) and when I make savings, I add it to the savings pot rather than spending it on something else. When the exchange rate is good, I change this money for US currency and I've always got some stashed away - either for our trips or for hubby when he goes.

This way, I've always got holiday money when the unexpected trip crops up without going into debt.

We pay for groceries, and our bills... That's all we spend our money on :lmao:

I never shop any more, I must admit I miss it, but I'd miss DL more.

I found, by sitting down and writing a reasonable budget, that we were able to cut costs in a lot of places just by being more organised. We were then able to use that money for Disney spending.

The $500 that I would easily spend at Christmas is now spread over the whole year by buying gifts through the year when they were on special and that $500 goes straight in the bank. Hubby and I also don't buy gifts for each other (birthday, Valentines Day, Anniversary or Christmas) as we can then have a holiday as our special 'gift'.

If you grocery shop weekly, try doing it fortnightly instead. Also, every couple of months go an extra week without grocery shopping and use up all the bits and pieces in your pantry and freezer. It forces you to be really creative with food ideas, clears out some room and you can then bank that saved cash straight to your holiday account.

When there is something you need to buy, shop for it the same way you would for your holiday. Do lots of research and check on-line for the best price possible.:)

Loving all of these wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing everyone.

And is anyone just a little bit jealous of PrincessinOz around about now :lmao:

We can't afford it but we're going anyway! This is going to be a trip of a lifetime for us, we'll be paying it off for the rest of our lives but it will be worth it :lol:.

Trouble is EHSMUM - as soon as you get home you'll be planning your next trip !:cool1:

Exactly! We're in the early planning stages for August/September NEXT year...saving pennies and then no doubt knocking on the bank managers door!

(Hi everyone - looking forward to chatting to you on here and picking up some more tips - this board has a wealth of information to absorb!)

Trouble is EHSMUM - as soon as you get home you'll be planning your next trip !:cool1:

I don't know...hubby and son are keen to go to London Olympics 2012 and I would love to take the kids to Europe, so if we could somehow afford another holiday in a couple of years, I think we'll head to London :).

DH bought a US GPS today and was trying to justify it to me. I said I agreed, it would work out cheaper then hiring one and then we have it for next time and he was like "next time??? what do you mean next time???" :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter