How do you all afford it?

....DH bought a US GPS today and was trying to justify it to me. I said I agreed, it would work out cheaper then hiring one and then we have it for next time and he was like "next time??? what do you mean next time???" :rotfl:

It's a sickness....but it's a normal thing to have on this Board :rotfl2:

I am heading off in June again - although I think this trip will finish me off and I will be back to the grindstone redeeming my financial position again!
OK - what drives my decisions to go are when Disney announces discounts. Orlando discounts can be as deep as 45% off the accommodation. May 2009 I went to Orlando for 10 days at 45 % discount - and Qantas had the $900 LAX or New York airfare:cool1: Disney also offered me the LAX - MCO rtn flight for only $200. This is such a difference from our 2006 trip where the airfare to LAX was $1800!
Some of the hotels around Anaheim are a fraction of the price of the Disney Hotels - and can be better!
Our trip to tokyo Disneyland in 2008 was done when the dollar was at parity with the yen and then Jetstar offered a half price fare!
So basically watch out for the specials!
and remember - some Disney specials are not that special e.g. free dining - cause you have pay full price for the accommodation.
My budgeting guide: live on 60% of salary - for everything (housing, food, utilities - everything) save 10% as your emergency fund, Then split the remaining 30% as required between discretionary expenses (like Disney) or making sure you pay down any debt.
I also have started doing training courses in US related to my work. Then I can pro-rata a tax claim. You only get back your nominal tax rate (say 25-30%) on a portion of your airfare but I get some personal development and a small discount.:thumbsup2
just get into good money discipline and you'll be surprised how fast you can save up! Get yourself educated, work hard and get a promotion - good career management helps too!! make sure you save the extra money - not just start buying more expensive stuff

We sell things on ebay. I have the kids involved too.

My girls will have a bag to put all of old toys, DS games, dvds and doll cloths etc.. They are getting good at knowing what toys are worth more then others.

My wife will find deals at stores. If she gets somthing that doesn't sell for more then what she got it for, we return it.

I am a yard sale/Craigslist person. I will sell anything. I also started selling things on ebay for other people. For 25% of the final price.

The first weekend of every month we try to get everything on. Everyone gets exited to see who gets the biggest profit. When Paypal gets to $2000 and Disney has a great deal, we book. The more we make the better our trip.

At the moment, it's just a combination of the strong Aussie $$ and the ridiculously low airfares which are allowing us to go, plus the Disney discounts. Today the dollar is almost 94c.

When I was cleaning up my father's paperwork a few months ago (he died in 2004 but I couldn't bring myself to do it until now!) I found old airline tickets from 1988 for a SYD - LAX flights and it was $1600 per person, flying in June. There was also a ticket SYD - LAX for December 10, 1991 which cost $1800 return and then another SYD - LAX from November 1997 for $2200!!!

And I know my dad was thrifty to the core so he would have shopped around for the best deals on these fares.

We can afford it because our house looks like a bad 70's nightmare (picture wood pannelling, lino & orange formica). Every time we consider spending the big bucks on renos, we snap ourselves out of it quick smart by thinking about a Disney trip instead!

A few thoughts from a long time traveller to the states....

-Qantas Frequent Flyer card as well as doing most of our shopping at Woolies with the Everyday reward card linked to the FF card.(Specials aside of course!)
-Pre-purchasing tickets etc via the net from Australia sometimes MONTHS before we go. Last time we went, we purchased our Dis Resort 3 day Disney hopper passes 6 months before we left. We paid it off as we would any normal everyday purchase and when it came time to budget spending money we didn't have to fork out $350 odd dollars for park tickets out of our travel money.
-If going to WDW, and planning on returning, buy a 10 day no expiration ticket. Initially about a $500-$600USD purchase but it allows you 10 days at the major parks over as many trips as you like AND 10 entrances to the minor parks (Blizzard, Typhoon, Quest, Golf etc). We have found that if you concentrate on one park or outing per day, you could get 20 days of entrances for less than $30USD per day....value in anyone's eyes.
-And buy as many US dollars or travellers cheques as you can lay your hands on when the dollar gets over 85+ cents if financially possible.
-We only use our credit card in the states in case of an emergency because you get hammered by the banks with exchange rates and fees.
-And we bought in to DVC as well (10kUSD only) with a long term view to staying in 5 star accommodation that we would NEVER be able to afford if we were buying it at the rack price.
-And when we go to the states, general hotel accommodation, eating, car hire and shopping are so much cheaper than Australia, that it makes it a no-brainer for us. As an example last time the family went down to Margaret River (South West WA) for a weekend away, we paid $240 per night (on Special) for an average motel room....no kitchen, just a room with 2 queens, couch and the bathroom...bog standard. For our upcoming trip in August to the states, along with my Luxor e-mail discount, we are staying at the Luxor in Vegas for a week (including the higher priced Friday and Saturday nights) for $460 USD inc taxes. No comparison.

We make a choice as a family to focus all of our holiday attention on the US. We make it our business to afford to go every 2 years at least by going without certain luxuries and sensible budgeting. Not everyones cup of tea, but nonetheless ours. And the e-bay idea is a winner. It's amazing what crap people are prepared to pay good money for. It adds up before you know it!!!

We can afford it because our house looks like a bad 70's nightmare (picture wood pannelling, lino & orange formica). Every time we consider spending the big bucks on renos, we snap ourselves out of it quick smart by thinking about a Disney trip instead!
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And I agree with GrazingGoat1966
Australian accommodation is a RIPOFF!!! :mad: Especially Canberra.
The biggest joke is that you can still only get 2 people in a one bedroom apartment in Australia! :confused3
About the only places offering good specials are in QLD because they have too much and are desperate

Just found this very interesting article in the SMH...
Seemed appropriate to this thread. It is very much the way I look at travel...
http://blogs.smh.com.au/travel/archives/2010/04/the_secret_of_travel.html

Just do it.

That, right there - just three simple words - is the secret to a lifetime of happy travels.
As someone who spends a fair portion of their life travelling, I get told I'm "lucky" a lot. But it's not true.

Granted, I have the dumb luck of having been born into a middle class family in a safe, stable country with a decent education system. But so do most of the people who are envious of my position.

When it comes to travel, it's not a case of luck, but priorities. You just have to make it happen.

After all, there are so many reasons you can give yourself to ditch your holiday plans and just stay at home.

You've got bills to worry about. That Commodore won't pay itself off, interest rates are going up (I assume), you need to get working on a nest egg.

You've got a career to consider. You can't just up and leave and expect it to still be there. What if Barry from level six gets that promotion while you're swanning around Turkey?

Something might happen to your family while you're away. Someone might get sick, someone might get married, someone might get born. Do you really want to miss all that?

Nah. So you put it off, swear you'll do it next year, or maybe the year after that, and get back to living your life, content with the notion that, "I'll get round to it sooner or later". Except, you won't. The longer you leave it, the older you get, the harder it'll be to drop everything and leave.

I understand the procrastination, in a way, because it's sometimes almost impossible to justify the amount of money you'll have to shell out to go on that big trip - whether it's a year-long round-the-world sabbatical, or just a fortnight in Bali.

Travel's expensive, no doubt about it. And completely intangible. Your Commodore might be depreciating in value, but at least it's worth something. Get back from an overseas holiday and what do have left? A massive credit card bill and the nagging feeling that you'd rather be somewhere else right now.

But if you're trying to justify going travelling, all you have to do is apply the "grandkids rule". As in: what would you tell your grandkids about?

Would you tell them about the promotion you once got? Or the car you once bought? Or the fancy suit you owned? Or the time you almost got attacked by a hippo in Zimbabwe and had to paddle to safety with an Esky lid?

In my experience, it takes a lot of sacrifices to travel, a lot of putting up with things you won't have, but it's absolutely worth it in the end.

No house or car or promotion or outdoor setting or silk tie or new pair of shoes will ever compare to the people you'll meet, the food you'll taste, the crazy things you'll see, the knowledge you'll gain and the experiences you'll have if you pour your money into a life of travel.

So for those tossing up whether or not to take the plunge and book that big trip, I'd go back to those three magic words: just do it.

You'll never regret it.

Well said Queenie82! I totally agree. Right now I have the choice of a trip to Disney or a new kitchen. Nothing wrong with the kitchen I have. As much as I loooove cooking, a kitchen doesn't make me happy at the end of the day but a holiday with my family creating memories we will never forget does.

Amen sista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may have to print that out and show the husband who is saying "new house" instead of "WDW trip" :rotfl2:.

In all seriousness though, I totally agree. I don't have plans or really a desire to drop everything for a year and travel at this stage of my life, however I do have a burning desire to take little trips every couple of years. I'd like to go to the US one more time at least next December, then a few years on from that I'd like to venture to the UK and some of Europe. I'd also like to do a little Fiji holiday and maybe a little relaxing in Hawaii and the list goes on. My husband keeps saying we are building a house next year, we must concentrate and save for that. But I don't think there is anything wrong with the house we have. Granted a new big house (with a new big mortgage:lmao:) will be lovely, but not if it means no more holidays.

I've only had one overseas adventure and as I knew it would, it's left me wanting more and more. So I'm just going to have to persuade him to see things the way we do. I can see a night of romance and too much champagne coming on, it worked for the last trip :rotfl2:.

Well said Queenie82! I totally agree. Right now I have the choice of a trip to Disney or a new kitchen. Nothing wrong with the kitchen I have. As much as I loooove cooking, a kitchen doesn't make me happy at the end of the day but a holiday with my family creating memories we will never forget does.
Well said
I grew up with parents infected with the travel bug. Every year we were off somewhere. A month traveling bottom to top in WA, QLD trips, A trip to the NT, traveling to the snow...etc. All from a VERY young age. I've seen more of this country we call Australia than most of my friends combined. This is in part why I have always traveled pretty well and can cope without the in seat entertainment etc. All I want is leg room! Just that is luxury compared to the back seat of a car for a whole day.

There are a loads and loads of things I WANT. But most of all what I want it to see the world.
The sentence that most resonated with me was this one
Travel's expensive, no doubt about it. And completely intangible. Your Commodore might be depreciating in value, but at least it's worth something. Get back from an overseas holiday and what do have left? A massive credit card bill and the nagging feeling that you'd rather be somewhere else right now.

Sitting here a work I'm pining to be in Big White. :cloud9:
I'd rather be in SOO many other places. And I've only been back in the Oz for 4 months since the last trip :rolleyes1

I'd rather be in SOO many other places. And I've only been back in the Oz for 4 months since the last trip :rolleyes1

I've been back for 36 hours....and am scheming about the next trip. Hubby just got offered by his work to attend a 3 day conference at WDW in October, staying at Coronado Springs. I'm trying to persuade him to go....he needs to work out if the topics are worth going for....and then I have to work out when school holidays are. :rotfl2:

I've been back for 36 hours....and am scheming about the next trip. Hubby just got offered by his work to attend a 3 day conference at WDW in October, staying at Coronado Springs. I'm trying to persuade him to go....he needs to work out if the topics are worth going for....and then I have to work out when school holidays are. :rotfl2:

Oh I think your DH really needs to go to that conference :lmao:

Our school holidays are from 17th Sept to 5th Oct and we are going from 14th Sept to 15th Oct. Will be taking DS out of school for a little while :rolleyes1 But travelling is educational isn't it :rolleyes1 Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it :rotfl2:

It's always a nice feeling to know you are going on a trip, be it a week away or a year away. Makes the mundane parts of life that much easier. If I ever have a bad day it's always to nice to think that at some point soon I'll be partying with Mickey Mouse!!

I will be taking my boys out of school later this year for 3 weeks. I was putting it off, putting it off and putting it off but I thought the time had come to finally broach the subject with their teacher (they are twins in the same class so at least I only had to do it once).

She was fantastic! I am assuming she is a fellow 'travel lover' cause all she said was "Seeing different parts of the world is the best education there is. I could never teach the boys the things they will learn on their trip" :cool1:

I'm taking my kids out of school for 4 weeks but after this trip they'll be far better educated then any of their classmates! Everyone else we know takes their kids out of school for 2 weeks to go to Bali or Phuket so missing 4 weeks of school when we'll be visiting NYC and Washington DC (not to mention Disney :rolleyes1 ) is nothing. I missed 3 months of school when I was in Year 4 (spent the European summer in Ireland) and was still top of my class when I got back :).

I totally have no issues with taking my kids out of school for a family holiday and agree that the education they receive on the trip well outweighs any school work they miss. I'm lucky enough to have fairly bright kids who I know will catch up quickly on our return.

I also had no issues taking my kids out of school and they have all completed year 12 and two are second year nursing and a third a registered nurse my other child has autism. But the children learn so much with travelling. Have a great trip

I can't remember when we've ever travelled in line with school holidays...we've always taken our son out of school. Problem is that we've already missed 3 weeks of school already this year. If hubby decides to go in October, I'm going to have to do some fancy scheming as it looks unlikely that his trip will coincide with school holidays. Otherwise, we'll stay behind and give hubby our shopping list. :rotfl2:

Hi

I am taking my two sons out of school 2.5 weeksd and have no issues we will be getting my older son to write a report each night of all the actvitives and things we did each day so he can tell him friends

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter