How do you let go?

SpartanKen

Earning My Ears
We are those over protective parents... no they are not swaddled in bubble wrap, but our girls (8,5) are never out of our site.

Will this "ruin" our enjoyment and thiers on our trip?

At least they will both be in the same kids club and the 8 yo can't be given the ability to sign in/out of the club by themselves! Not sure how long your cruise is, but you could always choose to go to the clubs during open house only with the kids. If you're ready to let it go a little bit, they will probably enjoy themselves in the kids clubs for a couple of hours a day while you enjoy something else.

* disclaimer: DH and I left our 2 kids on the ship in Iceland while we went on a private excursion. We left them asleep in the room too. Granted they were 8 and 16, and we could theoretically drive or bus the 6-8 hours to the next port if needed, so the bubble wrap was popped long ago.

Have a very fun first cruise!

We are those over protective parents... no they are not swaddled in bubble wrap, but our girls (8,5) are never out of our site.

I often tease my family that I will run for public office just to obtain a security team for my daughter! All teasing aside, it takes me a few days to let go of you will. The ships are safe and I love the phone app that allows me to communicate with my DD. She is 12 this year, but was 8 when we started cruising on Disney.

My twins were 5 when we started cruising. My son had more trouble going into the clubs, but my daughter went in just fine. I really felt safe with the kids in the clubs. My kids spend a lot of time with us on our cruise (we just enjoy being together)....by all means you will enjoy your cruise. If there is anxiety about leaving the girls in the club, do it for short periods of time...you can always come by and check on them....if they want to stay let them, if they want to come out then bring them out.

I honestly don't think it would ruin your cruise, there are so many things to do as a family....and unfortunately the time is going to fly by, and you will be getting off before you know it.

Truly never?

I homeschool so I don't have those x hours per day when he's elsewhere, but when he was 5 we joined the YMCA and he's gotten more and more freedom in that environment. It's lovely. He gets buddies, I get to exercise (and have gotten buddies). And we have more things to talk about since we haven't seen exactly the same things. I'm glad we started doing that.

So when we went on our first family cruise he had no problems being in the kid's club. And I see no reason to worry about kids there. If they are upset the counselors will call. If they ask to have the parents called the counselors call the parents. Of course, you need to make sure you're checking your wave and room phone. (the ONE time DS had them call, they called the ROOM, and I have no idea why)

You can hit the Open House times so they kids can play and you can be there, and see how it all feels. With DS we like making his time there focused on certain activities. We check the Navigator and he goes during times that they are doing interesting things.

The club is amazing. I felt very positive about all the counselors, the security system, the cameras and microphones catch everything. I homeschool and until my girls were 6 and 11 they were NEVER away from me except to be with family.

my kids are the same age and we kind of over protective too but the clubs are awesome, they will be completely safe when they are in the clubs.... my bigger fear is when my ODD ages out of the club because she is on the ASD spectrum and I am not sure how she'll do by herself but keeping my fingers crossed.

We started cruising when our daughter was just shy of 6. She LOVED the clubs and I always felt like she was in great hands. She is going to be 12 next week and we sail at least once a year on DCL. I am never concerned with her safety while she is under the supervision of the DCL staff. Now that she is old enough to check in/check out, I have been nervous, but we have set guidelines that she must follow before she heads out onto the ship on her own or with other kids. I personally would not enjoy the cruise if I had to spend every minute with my child (and she would most certainly feel the same way). We like to eat in Palo and Remy, do the beverage tasting, hang out at Satellite Falls and we go to the Rainforest Room at least once a day. I think it really depends on what you hope to get out of the cruise.

If you send the girls to public or private school vs. homeschooling, then you do let them out of your sight, but in a safe, controlled environment. I think you will get the same vibe from the kids clubs. You might even feel better about the clubs vs. school, since the two of them can hang out together.

Nothing wrong with being over protective parents (I say that because i'm one LOL). What we are planning on doing is going to the kids club with our DD4 (will be 5 on cruise) the first day and get her familiar with it. I've heard the CMs in there are super great and the she wont be able to be checked out without myself or her dad checking her out. Now when we are out and about, yes I will be a overly protective parent because thats just who I am. I think its awesome your girls will be able to be in the same kids club. Unfortunately my dd's brother will be in Vibe since he's 16.

First cruise last year with great friends, our DD was 7, same age as her BFF. Both girls LOVED the kids club on the Dream. Hated to leave. I did lots of reading before agreeing to the cruise, and was thrilled with the staff and security. There are a variety of activities throughout the day, and after the first day both girls wanted to go to the kids club rather than hang out with parents. In searching cruise for next year the Disney kids club and environment had a lot to do with us choosing another Disney cruise, especially with the higher cost. Also, the phone for CMs to call with any issues is a great plus as well.

Im confused. How are they never out of your sight? Do they not go to school?

my kids are the same age and we kind of over protective too but the clubs are awesome, they will be completely safe when they are in the clubs.... my bigger fear is when my ODD ages out of the club because she is on the ASD spectrum and I am not sure how she'll do by herself but keeping my fingers crossed.
I've been curious about autism and the club's. My son isn't severe but he's on the spectrum. Are the cast members fairly knowledgeable? I understand the cast members can alert us if needed. obviously your comfortable and I'm hoping for good experience :)

Im confused. How are they never out of your sight? Do they not go to school?
I didn't think I would have to explain this further... but here we go... OK, WHEN WE TRAVEL OR GO SOMEWHERE THAT IS BEYOND THE NORM... like going to Disney World or to a county fair or to a beach... stuff where there is an easy chance for something happening to my child without my knowledge. Where there are people I don't know, have never met before or places I have never been before... like a cruise, in the ocean, miles from shore, with strangers . . .

I don't think so!!! When we travel or go somewhere that is beyond the norm, my DS8 is never out of our sight either. He does go to the kids' club on the ship and they are fantastic! Very secure. In fact, when you go to pick up your child, because the children wear magic bands in the club, they know exactly where your child is in the club at all times. They also do not let adults linger in the club. You go in, pick up your child and you have to leave. I do not let DS8 sign himself in or out of the clubs. We walk him there and we pick him up. When he isn't in the club, he is with us - swimming, dining, playing bingo, meeting characters, etc. There are too many people on that ship and too many opportunities for something unfortunate to happen. And, it has happened on Disney ships. When he is older, we will revisit the rules. But for now, this is what works for our family and what we are comfortable with. There are many, many activities on the ship for families to do together, so your trip will definitely not be ruined if you choose to stick together most or all of the time.

It's smart not to let kids that young out of your sight at places like WDW and the County fair. I don't let my 12 year old out of my sight at those places. The ship is different because the only place they would ever need to be out of your sight is in the kids club and those are far more secure and safe than most preschools and elementary schools. They know where your child is at all times so they cannot leave the area and only you and your spouse can check them in and out unless you designate someone else to do it. If you choose not to let your kids go to the kids club, you won't be missing much other than some alone time with your spouse but your kids will probably be missing out. It was really hard for us to leave our kids the first time we cruised. What got me through it was reminding myself that they were having fun and that it's healthy for them to be around other kids without me right there. It gives them a chance to make friends, build social skills, problem solve, all without Mom and Dad there to swoop in and take care of things for them. It's also very important for them to see you and your spouse make time for each other. It gave me peace of mind knowing that the counselors would text me if one of my kids wanted to be picked up or started struggling. The first time we left them we went up to the top deck, ordered a drink and continuously checked the wave phone for messages. We went back half an hour later and the kids didn't want to leave. It made leaving them next time a lot easier! If you just can't bring yourself to leave the kids though, you can still have fun and enjoy your time without using the clubs. There are plenty of family activities on board for you to all do together.

I didn't think I would have to explain this further... but here we go... OK, WHEN WE TRAVEL OR GO SOMEWHERE THAT IS BEYOND THE NORM... like going to Disney World or to a county fair or to a beach... stuff where there is an easy chance for something happening to my child without my knowledge. Where there are people I don't know, have never met before or places I have never been before... like a cruise, in the ocean, miles from shore, with strangers . . .
I would assume most parents would feel the same about their kids. Your kids are young. Im still not sure what you mean by letting go. Letting them go to kids clubs? If you going to ask a question you have to explain youself. We're not mind readers.

The very sad truth of the matter is that your children are far more likely to be hurt by a family member or someone they already know than they are a stranger. Especially given the enormous security protocol in the cruise kids' clubs. You honestly have nothing to worry about for this trip. Relax and let them have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter