• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you let go?

Look at it like you do with school. You *may* meet the new teacher at the start of the school year but you may never meet all of the new staff that your kids come in contact with so the stranger issue is always there. I've never cruised and my DD is grown but I hope to someday with any future grandkids we are blessed with. I've read these boards for a while now and it sounds like kids are as safe or even safer in the Disney clubs than in school. Try it for an hour and stay out of sight by nearby to start. Then once you are sure your kids are fine in the club, go enjoy a drink or a stroll on deck and check back every once in a while. You'll probably find a comfort level for what works for your family by day 2. Enjoy!

The very sad truth of the matter is that your children are far more likely to be hurt by a family member or someone they already know than they are a stranger. Especially given the enormous security protocol in the cruise kids' clubs. You honestly have nothing to worry about for this trip. Relax and let them have fun.
We homeshool because we like to tavel, and we travel a lot. It amazes me that people send their kids to school where drugs, alcohol, molestions, rapes, stabbings shooting, bullying, fighting, suicides etc are happening somewhere in some school across the nation on a daily basis.. Yet people are afraid of kids clubs or letting their 13 year old walk up a flight of stairs to get an ice cream on a cruise ship.. Im not dissing schools. I may send them in the future, but I dont consider them to be safe havens. Cruise ships statistically are very safe.

Actually, it's my understanding that the wristbands used in the Club/Lab will ONLY work within the Club/Lab environment. I won't argue whether the technology could potentially work ship-wide. But in practice, they are not able to track kids' whereabouts beyond the confines of the Club/Lab.

OP -- you've gotten some good advice. Take your kids to the Oceaneers Club open house on the first afternoon. Chat with the CMs. See how your kids like it. Some love it, some tolerate it, some really do not care to go back. Take your cues from them. You will all have a wonderful vacation, whether spent entirely in each other's company or separate for parts. There is plenty to do for all ages together.

Enjoy your vacation!

OK thanks for this additional clarification - OP I take back my original statement and the magic band works everywhere on the ship and probably only works in the club (they were probably looking for the lost girl's band so they could track down her parents).

I'm a fairly protective parent, but my son had a BLAST in the club/lab. To give you an example of the security, while we were on the Wonder in March, my son participated in a game show through the kids club. However, it was on deck 4, in a lounge directly below the club/lab. I don't know how many kids participated, but i would guess 25-30. There were at least 6 counselors (that I could see...we were on deck 5) with the group and they barricaded one side of the stairs off from level 4 to 5 as they moved the kids from one deck up to the other. My son saw us waiting at the club and he stopped to say hi, stepping out of line to do so. As quickly as he moved, a counselor swooped in and (kindly) pulled him back in line, as they didn't know who he was coming in contact with. They had to check back in with their bands in the club before the parents could sign them back out.

As others have said, we took the kids to the open house on the first day and within minutes, the kids were oblivious to us and off doing their own thing. It was good reassurance that we were likely going to have some time separate from the kids for tasting classes, spa time, etc.

We are those over protective parents... no they are not swaddled in bubble wrap, but our girls (8,5) are never out of our site.

Will this "ruin" our enjoyment and thiers on our trip?
We made our 9 year old take is to our stateroom and our muster station from several different parts of the ship. He got us there each time. After that we turned him loose. They scan the kids in and out of everything so we had a general idea of where they were. We were confident that he could find his way back when or if needed.

We made our 9 year old take is to our stateroom and our muster station from several different parts of the ship. He got us there each time. After that we turned him loose. They scan the kids in and out of everything so we had a general idea of where they were. We were confident that he could find his way back when or if needed.
And... we had much more fun !

When our son was 8, we started to let him expand his independence on the ships a bit. We looked over the navigator together, and he picked the fun activities he wanted to be at the club to be a part of. There was also the understanding that he would go to the club at certain times, when Mom and Dad had date night at one of the adult restaurants. We started to let him "lead" us back to the room when we picked him up. It was fun for him, and it really helped his sense of direction and where to go if we were ever accidentally separated. By the time we went on the next cruise when he was age 10, we accompanied him the first few days, and then gave him self-check out privileges when we were all very comfortable that he could make his way back to the stateroom at a specific time. So my advice is to let them expand their reach on the ship little by little. Keep them in sight, but let them grow used to the way the ship is laid out. At this age, they really will not be out of your sight unless they are having fun with the other kids and counselors in the club. Rest assured, they will have fun in the clubs and will be safe and secure. I felt like many others, that it was like an extension of their classroom. Being together as a family at Open House time was a great way to start the first day on the ship, meet the counselors, make some friends, and your little ones will be accustomed to the environment and will be more excited to go on their own to familiar surroundings. Hope that helps. It's hard to envision unless you've experienced the ships yourself, but I hope it will set your mind at ease a little.

Oh, and just for giggles thought I'd mention - personalized magnets on your door that the kids will recognize makes them so excited, and they can easily pick out "their door" and are less reliant on door numbers in an identical hallway. This won't really be a concern on this cruise, since your girls aren't running around by themselves at that age - but in the future, it helps them build their confidence a lot.

When asking parenting advice on a community message board, it is necessary to have thick skin. I think your original post was lacking information and I too needed clarification on what exactly was being asked...such as are you looking for support about letting your kids into the clubs for the first time? or were you literally asking if your trip will be ruined because you are protective of your children? or were you looking for clarification of the security of the kids clubs and their operations?....
Anyways, my advice is to feel it out when you get there. Check it out as a family during open house, take cues from your children, leave them for short trial periods and let them know they can call you at any time to leave. Have a great cruise :)

I'm right there with you!! We have 2 precious little girls that are our entire world!! On the 3 day cruise, honestly you probably won't use the Kids Club that much. They do have "wave phones" and if your child is in the club & wants to leave, they will send you a text message.
We have a 9 yr old as our oldest. We gave her an old iPhone with the DCL app. She would message us on it if she or her sis wanted to leave so she wouldn't have to ask an adult if she didn't want to. It worked well. She kept up with it by wearing a little nap-sack on her back.
HAVE FUN!

I am also a protective Mom - and mine absolutely loved it! Our 11 year old split time between the Clubs and the tween program.

To the original poster, the only places your kids would be away from you while on the ships would be if they were in the kids clubs and it was not an open house (which as previous posters have indicated is the perfect opportunity for all to feel out whether both the parents and kids would feel comfortable the kids participating in the clubs) or if you stayed in the adult areas.

Our youngest (18 mos first cruise) only became comfortable in the kids clubs his last cruise (we've always gone to the open houses to feel out and get that warm fussy about the areas - first Small World and then Lab/Club) and it was a challenge to have him want to leave once there and was comfortable with the areas. They have so much to do in the clubs and the cast members are great at keeping the kids engaged during activity, the Lab/Club is what the youngest can't wait for when next sailing.

I'm over protective as well but I felt really comfortable letting the kids have some freedom in the kids club, and mine are close in age to yours. They will receive a magic band that has to be cut off and will remain on at all times during the cruise and that's how they'll check in. It's also how they can locate them while inside the club from any computer station. They have photos on their computers of each member of the family when you scan in and you'll have to give them the password you created when you checked-in online prior to the cruise in order to get your kids out.
I think you'll be fine and you should go in with them once at the beginning so you can see how things work and get a lay of the land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter