How Exotic Can A Western (Cruise) Get?

Goodness! I am surprised Carnival let you guys off the ship ... I have heard of cruiseships canceling ports due to violence. In fact, my folks were on a Carnival cruise where they canceled a stop at Columbia because of an upswing of crimes against Americans there. I am glad you came back safe and sound!

oh, i wouldn't be surprised to think that they were having a spot of fun with us...scare us just enough to keep us in line from bailing from the excursion...as if there was any other transportation to take back to the ship lol.

believe it's why the guides carried visible handguns and a shotgun in the bus, the drivers where very tuff looking dudes, reminded me of professional wrestlers.

most of the other residents were very thin and the mayan people (ferry driver, squat)

toto, we're not in kansas anymore:upsidedow

You can say that again!

You get that false sense of security when you are on a "tour"... then they throw that stuff at you. :scared1:

have i mentioned that it was hot, hot, hot & humid...believe they said 110...

ok, our turn to get on the bus, up to...

another gift shop area:mad: (#3 if you're counting)

110 plus humid = :eek: :scared1: :headache:

And, hey, they don't want to miss an opportunity to let you spend some money on souvenirs. Or another opportunity. Or another. :confused3 :headache:

yep, an interesting quote by guide coming up as to buying souvie's:rolleyes:

looking @ all the snow here today, i'd rather be there right now -heat/humidity/vendors;)

okay here we go:banana:
take note, it's not on a hill, they didn't excavate it all yet...ergo the grassy knoll to the left & right
LegendCruiseD031.jpg

as mentioned before very hot, urged to stay in shade as long as possible:confused3 so we hung out under the trees while we got a very quick recap
LegendCruiseD029.jpg

where i am standing, this area is behind me...it's where the people lived...evidently, 4 other plazas & temples to explore (we ran out of time)
LegendCruiseD028.jpg

we were standing beside this temple
LegendCruiseD035.jpg

how hot was the sun...

art teacher picked this one of DSs for a show
LegendCruiseD037.jpg

LegendCruiseD026.jpg

do you see the rainbow above the peeps heads?
LegendCruiseD034.jpg

LegendCruiseD033.jpg

LegendCruiseD038.jpg

Getting ready to climb
LegendCruiseB018.jpg

DH led the way
LegendCruise044.jpg

yes, they were steep & narrow
LegendCruiseB019.jpg

2nd level
LegendCruiseB020.jpg

LegendCruiseB021.jpg

3rd level
view
LegendCruiseB024.jpg

LegendCruiseB022.jpg

LegendCruise051.jpg

unrestored frieze on next level
LegendCruiseD043.jpg

LegendCruise054.jpg

i made it past where the ladies were standing, up the steps past where DS is standing on...then you can see that they turn/get smaller...I bailed:rolleyes1
LegendCruise057.jpg

the next level, the guys walked thru this door
LegendCruiseD047.jpg

then thru this area
LegendCruiseD041.jpg

LegendCruiseD039.jpg

i checked out the restored freize on other side of pyramid

LegendCruiseD046.jpg

not dirt, the unexcavated top of #3 area, evidently; certain areas are fragile & they've been imploding/effectively destroying what's underneath...it seems the pyramid is a series of improvements over centuries - one built ontop of the other.

my "chicken" footpath:rolleyes1 , it was very narrow-i was hugging the wall something fierce
LegendCruise061.jpg

more of unrestored frieze
LegendCruise065.jpg

ta-da!
LegendCruise068.jpg

LegendCruise069.jpg

back down (yea for the railing)
LegendCruise074.jpg

one more temple 1/2 excavated
LegendCruise038.jpg

shrine area
LegendCruise077.jpg

ballcourt is back around the corner to the right lol (that i was forbidden to waste any time viewing)
LegendCruise075.jpg

can't bring myself to whine much more about the shortened excursion, especially since i've been fully reimbursed by Chase:thumbsup2

quick recap:

*3 more gift shop stops (one where i was told not to be "selfish...the locals depend on the tourists to survive...":rolleyes1

*turned down meal @ 5* resort...it was their local delicacy...

4 legged chicken...remember the iguanas?popcorn:: :faint:

o
LegendCruise038.jpg
ne more temple, 1/2 excavated
can't bring myself to whine much more about the shortened excursion, especially since i've been fully reimbursed by Chase:thumbsup2

quick recap:

*3 more gift shop stops (one where i was told not to be "selfish...the locals depend on the tourists to survive...":rolleyes1

Great pics Janet. I saw the rainbow! I would have bailed too and made my babies do the same. Glad you did it so I could see it cause I won't be doing it myself.

Amazing the guides had the nerve to say something like that. And iguana????????????????? YUCK!

Great pics Janet. I saw the rainbow! I would have bailed too and made my babies do the same. Glad you did it so I could see it cause I won't be doing it myself.

Amazing the guides had the nerve to say something like that. And iguana????????????????? YUCK!

thanks, we want to tour the big site in Progresso & Chaccoben (if Playa Mia ever gets their pier fixed)

guides kept saying, it tasted like chicken...the universal lie:rotfl:

those that tried it, didn't get thru more than a bite...then ordered (oop-natch:rolleyes1 ) on the regular menu...hamburgers (probably iguana burgers lol). We had mt. dew; i'm never hungry when it's so hot & humid anyway...add in the large breakfast aboard ship & certainly good to go for hours.

those are really kewl pix :thumbsup2 Looks like a lot of 'exercising' disguised real well :rolleyes1 Looks like a place that's kewl to see once, but then you're good to go after that..... I would have been freaking out with the narrow path also :eek: Amazing view :goodvibes

I look at your pix and think of the pyramids in Egypt and it amazes me the hands on workmanship of these wonders..... :rolleyes: Built without machines and tools...amazing :rolleyes:

I'm enjoying your report.... oh..and loved the hat! :thumbsup2

barb - that's my jungle hat;) i use it for fishing & amusement parks when it rains (waterproof); thought it would be a good idea in the sun-glad i had it with me...the boys heads were hot by the end of the excursion

only part i had trouble with was the really steep climb up the the plaza/actual site; couple mile hill combined with the humidity (DH took my hand & sorta drug me along the last 100 yards or so lol)...felt like i was breathing thru a sponge. Oddly, easier to breath once out of the jungle & on the open plain:confused3

we're big into history, especially ancient sites, etc....i'll be back:wizard:

LegendCruise054.jpg

i made it past where the ladies were standing, up the steps past where DS is standing on...then you can see that they turn/get smaller...I bailed:rolleyes1
LegendCruise057.jpg

I'm guessing there were no building codes or inspections a few thousand years ago, so I can understand bailing. :rolleyes1

i checked out the restored freize on other side of pyramid

LegendCruiseD046.jpg

not dirt, the unexcavated top of #3 area, evidently; certain areas are fragile & they've been imploding/effectively destroying what's underneath...it seems the pyramid is a series of improvements over centuries - one built ontop of the other.

I think the freize is lovely. You made a good choice. :thumbsup2

And how sad that some of the areas were destroyed. Of course, you couldn't see any of it if they left it buried.

no railings
LegendCruiseB027.jpg

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Makes my head spin just to look at that!

shrine area
LegendCruise077.jpg

Is he making an offering? :laughing:

quick recap:

I can understand mentioning, politely, that the local economy depends on tourism for support. Being told I was "selfish" if I didn't buy something at every shop they dragged me to? Uh-uh. I wouldn't have even gotten off the bus and I'd have told them why.

And Iguana? Ewwwww. I believe I would have passed on all meat-related meals. Bring me a sealed bag of mass-produced and inspected potato chips or I'll just skip it, thanks.

glad i wasn't up on the very top, would've grabbed jrs hand to make sure he didn't fall off:scared1: or the base crumble, etc...wonder how many touristas they lose every year?

they have such a low standard of living i guess they think all the tourists are loaded...little do they know we scrimped & saved to be able to visit.

funny thing, i felt positively svelte compared to the other peeps onboard/on excursion:rolleyes1 ; while all the people we saw looked like they could use a good meal. I got something along the line of i was loco refusing the grub since the locals are lucky if they get to eat meat (including the iguana delicacy) once a week.

if i wasn't sure the guide could've whupped my butt (and the fact that she had a weapon) i would've bonked her over the head around the twentieth time she referred to the excursion group as "gringos"

def. treated in a disrespectful manner, another person did challenge & was told it was just their "way of kidding around"...think the key to getting in the right frame of mind was to keep drinking the belkin beer; which i skipped-afraid to fall off the pyramids. I did indulge in a few drinks that evening though.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter