How far do you tow your camper/ drive your RV.

Melany502

Mouseketeer
We have a 29' camper and the furthest we have driven it was 3 hours from CT to Cape Cod in MA. Orlando would be 18-19 hours (1250 miles) I would love to try camping at WDW someday, but the drive seems sooo long.

There are lots of folks who come from northern and western states and from Canada. Most take a couple or three days or more for the trip. Don't rush it. Don't push it. Be safe. Enjoy the trip and the Fort.

From FL to PA we usually take 3 days. Not as young as we were. Usually stop for the night between 3 or 4:00. Don't want to be exhausted when we arrive.

So if you take 2-3 days to travel how long do you stay at FW? My hubby gets 3 weeks vacation and we usually spend 7-10 days at Cape Cod.

Before we retired, our length of trips were obviously limited because of our time off - usually 2-3 days each way tops, but we towed 600 -1000 miles one way regularly and stayed at our destination 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.

Now that we've retired we still only go about that distance one way because we just don't care to go further! ;) Love to travel in our MH though - so much more relaxing than any hotel.

We have a 7,6, and 3 year old too so we have to make frequent stops. Is Disney just as magical when you're staying in your own camper? We spend so much time in the camper in the summer it feels like home now lol

We have a 7,6, and 3 year old too so we have to make frequent stops. Is Disney just as magical when you're staying in your own camper? We spend so much time in the camper in the summer it feels like home now lol

Same here, and yes, it is just as magical, to us anyway! That's the only way that we've ever done Disney - don't like hotels. :goodvibes

We have been doing long road trips with our boys since they were infants, they are now 7 & 9, mostly 9-10 hr drives from PA to VT but a few years ago we did a 26 hr drive from PA to San Antonio TX. We are doing 2 long trips this year with our 25 ft travel trailer. We are doing the trip from SE PA to Disney about 1000 miles each way in march. This summer we are heading to Acadia National Park in Maine, over to Vermont to visit family then back to PA, about a 1500 mile loop. We have videos, books and games to keep the boys occupied. We stop for food and bathroom breaks every few hours.

We have been doing long road trips with our boys since they were infants, they are now 7 & 9, mostly 9-10 hr drives from PA to VT but a few years ago we did a 26 hr drive from PA to San Antonio TX. We are doing 2 long trips this year with our 25 ft travel trailer. We are doing the trip from SE PA to Disney about 1000 miles each way in march. This summer we are heading to Acadia National Park in Maine, over to Vermont to visit family then back to PA, about a 1500 mile loop. We have videos, books and games to keep the boys occupied. We stop for food and bathroom breaks every few hours.

Slightly :offtopic: here but we too are going to Maine to Acadia National Park this summer! We have been there several times and just love that place. It's farther for us but well worth it, especially when we eat our fill of lobsters at a reasonable price while we are there! ;)

Our longest is to Disney, 600+. We are debating our next trip to Disney, but now considering a National Parks tour. Maybe Mammoth Cave, then Shenandoah, and loop down to Smokey Mountains before returning home. I'm a big NPs fan. Our goal trip is over to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Been busy in school so time has been limited last few years.

We have 2 kids 5 and 8. We live north of Chicago and travel to Disney every March. We tow a 33' fifth wheel. 1220 miles door to door. We usually leave Wednesday at about 3:00 pm and arrive Friday morning at about 9:00 am. We usually stay between 11 and 12 nights.
The first time we drove to Disney we owned the camper for 2 months and decided 1 month after we bought it to go to Disney. We have been there 5 of the last 6 years in the camper. Never even considered staying at a different property after staying there. There is nothing better than fort wilderness.
We consider the drive just another part of our vacation. Try to pick a couple spots to stop at during the drive. This year were going to stop at the corvette museum in Bowling Green and the drag racing museum in Gainesville. A couple extra destinations makes the drive go a lot quicker.

We started going to FW 7 years ago in a pop up. 1200 miles each way. We now have a 35' 5th wheel. We do the trip in two days both ways. First day we drive 800-900 miles, then it's a "short" drive to FW. On the way way home a couple years ago, my oldest was very quiet. We asked if something was wrong, he said no. Then he said, I'm really glad we drive to Florida. If we flew, I wouldn't have as much tine to remember how much fun we had. Love that kid!

Our WDW trips are right at 1000 miles (St Louis). We do it in 2 days going down. Stop near the Fl/GA line to have an easy drive in on arrival day. Drive straight through on the way home. Try to stay 7-8 days. (Longer if the DW can get off work and the money holds out)

Racing weekends are different. We have 2 trailers to carry the 3 cars. I generally tow the 44 ft toy hauler with a Miata in the back. We also have a 48ft enclosed 2 car hauler. The race team is based out of St Louis. We race every 3-4 weeks. Our schedule this season takes us to Denver, Wisconsin, Omaha, Topeka, Kansas City, Hastings, NE and Atlanta. Tows are as short as 3-4 hours (KC and Topeka) to 8-12 hours (Denver, WI, NE, Atl). We drive these straight through. Arrive Friday and head home Sunday evening. For the Denver trip, we take 2 days coming home. There are 3 of us that split the driving between the 2 rigs.

j

Our trip from SW Wisconsin is 1336 miles, each way. We started being "not smart" and traveled straight, driving our 40' fifth wheel. The last three years, we would stop for a night usually south of Atlanta, making for a 15 hour drive the first day. on Dec 29, we started our journey for three weeks, and stopped twice, which made us less tired when we arrived. We stopped twice on our way home, which was an east decision. Mother weather helped with that.

From Ct. think I would try to stop at least twice there are some good places for a quick overnight stop, plan some pool time for the kids to burn off some energy. I would plan a week at Disney to make the trip worth it, to short and you feel as if the whole vacation was spent getting there and back.

We have 7, going on 8 kids and drive 1700 miles to Disney, from MN.
We have a 35ft MH upgraded from a travel trailer a couple of years ago.
Generally we spend two nights on the Rd, usually staying at the Walmart resort and campgrounds. In general the trip takes us in the neighborhood of 30 hours drive time.

Generally unless you have two capable drivers, your looking at a max of 500-600 miles per day. I am in my younger adult years and after about 550 miles with 8-9 hours driving alone and around 11-12 hours total when you take in stops for fuel, bathroom and fuel. By that point I am just worn out and need a break. Without someone to take over for even a couple hours of travel time it is just too rough on the system.

So for us leaving from the Northern VA area, our goal is to stop in SC. Usually stop at point south KOA, but if they are full then we use New Green Acres 20 miles north. From there its about 6-7 hours to Disney or 350 miles. Once made it as far as Savannah KOA as we got an early start and had minimal delays.

But the thing is while time off is limited it is still my vacation. So while I am still more about the destination then the trip in most cases, I also do not try to push myself to the point where it will take several days for me to recover and enjoy the final destination.

We travel in a 36 foot motor home and tow a car. It's 1,405 miles to WDW from our home in Canada. We are retired so we have the luxury of taking our time, four days, never more than 400 miles a day.

It's 23 hours of driving time and plenty of folks drive straight through . . . but not us! :)

We have driven from Buffalo, NY once and we are doing it again this summer. We take two and a half driving days to get there and two days to get home. Staying in the fort eleven nights. We can only do this when DH has two full weeks of vacation to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter