How many people do you know who have had Corona Virus?

about 100. most mild, some asymptomatic, a few severe. Son and daughter in law-him severe, her mild, He caught it on a work trip to Asia and infected her, both are completely recovered., Sister in law-on her 6th week of hospitalization-she lives in AZ, Husbands uncle died in a Texas nursing home. A friend in Minnesota with no idea that he had been exposed died of a pulmonary blood clot about a week after he started feeling ill. Two co-workers with mild cases. The rest are our customers. Its likely because our environment has an aggressive testing program that more people around me who are asymptomatic were identified that the normal population.

One of the things people don't think through when they see that report from CDC that says 6% of COVID-19 deaths didn't have another underlying condition is that ... there are a lot of underlying conditions.

According to the CDC, about 42% of Americans are obese; that's an underlying condition by itself.

Plus, I don't really understand how to use that information. Like, how does that change anything? 94% of people who died of COVID had another illness... ok, and?? How does that change my behavior? Even if I don't have any underlying condition, I know people who do, right? So, what? To heck with them?

I think the more important point is that covid-induced pneumonia, covid-induced respiratory failure, and covid-induced blood clotting issues are all included in that "underlying condition" category... and the first two of those are the most common "underlying conditions" listed in the data analysis. As such, the 6% is a meaningless figure. All it means is that in 6% of cases, covid 19 was the only entry made in the primary and secondary cause of death fields - something that my friends in the medical field tell me is most likely to happen with regards to a patient who died at home without seeking medical care, since covid testing is being done in those cases but not necessarily full autopsies, or who didn't have an established doctor-patient relationship that would provide a medical history before this illness.

The framing and the announcement were all political, IMO, aimed at feeding the "no worse than the flu" conspiracy theories and "open everything" demands rather than at offering any meaningful insight into covid risk factors. If the analysis had focused solely on chronic and pre-existing conditions, it could have had value - and if you go to the original report, that data is there - but the decision to categorize covid-induced symptoms as "underlying conditions" makes it clear that better understanding was not the goal.

One of the things people don't think through when they see that report from CDC that says 6% of COVID-19 deaths didn't have another underlying condition is that ... there are a lot of underlying conditions.

According to the CDC, about 42% of Americans are obese; that's an underlying condition by itself.

Plus, I don't really understand how to use that information. Like, how does that change anything? 94% of people who died of COVID had another illness... ok, and?? How does that change my behavior? Even if I don't have any underlying condition, I know people who do, right? So, what? To heck with them?
Exactly! Some people are in such denial about the whole thing that they see that information and say “See! No pandemic! Only 9,000 people actually died of Covid.” No acknowledgment whatsoever of the fact that prior to Covid, they were living with whatever other condition, and probably wouldn’t have died during these few months if it wasn’t for the virus. And the fact remains that they died, and I just find this mindset so insensitive. Let’s all just run around like normal and screw the people with underlying conditions.

Part of it is going to depend on the size of your social circle, your extended family, your office/workplace. If you know more people, you'll eventually know more people who have died.

Those in my social circles have been fortunate through the pandemic; the Detroit area, where I'm from, has been pretty hard hit with covid but I only know one person who died of it, my husband's elderly uncle. In the same time frame, a regular substitute teacher at my daughter's school and her husband died in a car accident, two friends lost fathers to cancer, one of my mom's cousins had a fatal heart attack, a priest we were close to died in a boating accident, and two of my friends from "back in the day" lost their battles with addiction. I really don't think of myself as a particularly social person or one with a huge network of friends, family and acquaintances - I come from a huge extended family on my mother's side and I'm pretty active in the small town I live in, but I'm not a social butterfly and I'm self-employed and work mainly from home. Someone more social would likely have an even larger circle and therefore know more people who have died in any period of time.

Thanks for sharing. I totally agree with you that the larger your circle of friends/family the more people that you will know that have passed.

I still stand by my opinion that the poster that I quoted had an unusually high amount of loss in 6 months.

I guess I look at it this way, if people that pass are truly in my social circle, are either immediate or extended family or co-workers, or parents of friends and family, I go to all of those funeral, not in a pandemic of course, but in normal times. I can hardly imagine going to 23 funerals in 6 months!! That averages to almost a funeral a week! Unimaginable to most!

Also, so sorry for all of the loss you have experienced in the last 6 months.

This just seems crazy to me, but maybe I am not understanding. Have these 23 deaths all occurred in the last 6 months? The only way your "perspective" works is if these deaths have happened this year if your comparing them to the 2 covid cases!

I am 53 and in my entire life I know
-12 cancer-4 died
-2 suicide
-3 heart attacks-all 3 died
-20+ natural deaths
-1 car accident-he passed away
-I don't know anyone that has drowned

Those deaths are over my lifetime. I truly can't imagine losing 23 people in 6 months in the way you have described, seems especially gruesome.
Since March we've known 4 people who have died from cancer and I know a guy who drowned surfing. It sucks that their memorials have been postponed - maybe indefinitely. Two of them I was going to attend for sure.
Life - it goes on...

FWIW, Dr. Fauci has gone on record saying make no mistake, 180,000 people have died from Covid. NOT 9,000. As a physician, it makes perfect sense to me that their death certificate may have listed a secondary, or even primary, diagnosis. But since Covid can cause or exacerbate any number of organ system issues, it can be used to obfuscate the truth. Which, as someone already posted, is that those people would most likely still be alive if they hadn't caught the coronavirus.

FWIW, Dr. Fauci has gone on record saying make no mistake, 180,000 people have died from Covid. NOT 9,000. As a physician, it makes perfect sense to me that their death certificate may have listed a secondary, or even primary, diagnosis. But since Covid can cause or exacerbate any number of organ system issues, it can be used to obfuscate the truth. Which, as someone already posted, is that those people would most likely still be alive if they hadn't caught the coronavirus.

This is my thought as well. My uncle got MRSA from a hospital while he was recovering from a fall. The fall was related to his diabetes and Parkinson's.

So... what killed him?

And add another case of someone I know. Another kid from my hometown who got it at college.

Since March we've known 4 people who have died from cancer and I know a guy who drowned surfing. It sucks that their memorials have been postponed - maybe indefinitely. Two of them I was going to attend for sure.
Life - it goes on...

Ironically I have lost 4 people since March as well. My Mother in law passed in early March. We could have held a typical funeral with a wake, because the lock down wasnt announced until two days after her funeral, but my husband decided to keep it private because of the pandemic. Two friends passed from cancer, one friend was three weeks ago and the family held a typical church funeral, the other friend was in June and had to have a private funeral. I lost an elderly friend a week and a half ago. She fell the day after Christmas, broke her hip and has had a slow decline leading to her death. Her funeral was held last week at the grave. Everyone was invited as long as you wore a mask.

For me here in N.E. Ohio; zip, zero, nada, zilch, nil, none, and a great big goose egg.

I know one person who got it...they passed away (woman in her 40's). This was back in April. No one since.

My sister's nuclear family got it, so that is 4 people, all now recovered. (1 senior, 2 adults in their 30s and 1 preschooler.) She lives across the country from us. Where we are? No one I know personally, though my understanding is that one person from my company is known to have had it and recovered.

Changing demographics are also playing a role. More than a third of our deaths were in nursing homes. Over 40% were among people 80+. But my state still has a statistical zero for fatalities under 19 (I believe 2 children have died so far, but that's vanishingly small when calculated as a percentage) and only .01% have been among patients 20 to 29. Those are the groups where the majority of new cases are now being found, and the groups that were most fully isolated early on when the schools were closed and most workplaces closed. They were under-represented in the case counts early and are over-represented now, and that's changing the fatality rates dramatically.
I'm reposting what I posted in another thread. I realise that it refers to 'rest of world', but assuming that the US/India/Brazil follow the same trend, you should get there eventually too....

The puzzle of falling mortality
https://www.welt.de/wissenschaft/pl...as-Raetsel-um-die-sinkende-Sterblichkeit.html
The number of infections has increased again for weeks. However, this increase is not reflected in deaths or intensive care unit utilization. Some suspect the reason for the changed test strategy - but it is not that simple.

Imagine it's Corona and hardly anyone dies. In an exaggerated way, this is a global phenomenon that scientists are puzzling over. For weeks, more and more cases of corona infections have been registered in Germany and other countries. At the same time, however, there are nowhere near as many deaths as there should be after the experience with the first wave.

More than 1000 new infections were reported to Germany 18 days ago, but currently only one to six people per day die from Covid-19. For comparison: Even in the first week of May there were around 1000 new infections every day in Germany, but 18 days later several hundred corona deaths were counted every day.
Basically more testing of people with few or no symptoms, cases are younger, virus may have mutated, better treatment, lower virus dose. I strongly recommend to turn on 'translate' and read the article as it is showing exactly what we are saying that even in Spain with thousands of cases a day, people are not dying anymore.....

I'm reposting what I posted in another thread. I realise that it refers to 'rest of world', but assuming that the US/India/Brazil follow the same trend, you should get there eventually too....

The puzzle of falling mortality
https://www.welt.de/wissenschaft/pl...as-Raetsel-um-die-sinkende-Sterblichkeit.html
Basically more testing of people with few or no symptoms, cases are younger, virus may have mutated, better treatment, lower virus dose. I strongly recommend to turn on 'translate' and read the article as it is showing exactly what we are saying that even in Spain with thousands of cases a day, people are not dying anymore.....

It is paywalled. :( The media here isn't really talking about that yet, but the data is starting to show similar patterns in some places. The upside, if there is one, of our state-by-state response is that we can see how various measures work (or don't) almost in real time, and see patterns in the data before they start to show up in the national figures. The downside is that whether anyone cares about those patterns is more politically motivated than anything, since people here are prone to such black and white thinking, but I'm an optimist. I think at some point, our leaders will have to acknowledge the changing way the pandemic is playing out and adjust accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter