How many people do you know who have had Corona Virus?

Personally, I know 5 people. A friend and her mother, both hospitalized in ICU. Friend is in her 30s and her mother in her 60s- mother was placed on a ventilator but both are now recovering at home. A friend’s father- asymptomatic (70s). A coworker- suffered through symptoms at home and is still not feeling well a month later (20s). A neighbor (40s) who survived but due to blood clots, Is now an amputee. So no deaths but a pretty severe outcome in at least one case.

I know 6 people who have had it. Two died, two fully recovered, one has been suffering from shortness of breath during exertion since her bout with it in April but seems to be otherwise fine, and one has had lingering heart and nerve issues during her recovery (since May).

It is paywalled. :(
Ugh, sorry! here are a few key points

So while at the beginning of the pandemic mainly people with typical symptoms and contact with a confirmed case were tested, in the past few weeks travelers who have not even had symptoms have been tested on a large scale. Nevertheless, one can see at least a slight increase in positive cases: After the percentage of positive tests had temporarily dropped from nine percent in March to 0.6 percent, it is currently back at just under one percent.

This becomes even clearer if you look at Spain, for example. Here, too, the number of daily tests has doubled in the past few months. The proportion of positive tests has risen to over eight percent, while it was below one percent for a while in June. Spain is clearly experiencing a second wave of infections: In the meantime, over 7,000 corona infections are reported in the country per day, with hardly more than half as many inhabitants as in Germany. So there are more tests, but also more infections - this is also clear when you look at the numbers in France . Given these numbers, one cannot speak of a “test epidemic”.

But in both Germany and Spain, the number of deaths has so far risen only a little - although the consequences should now be felt. If Covid-19 is fatal, it takes an average of 18 days from the appearance of the first symptoms to death.

More than 1000 new infections were reported to Germany 18 days ago, but currently only one to six people per day die from Covid-19. For comparison: Even in the first week of May there were around 1000 new infections every day in Germany, but 18 days later several hundred corona deaths were counted every day.

The lower number of deaths could also be explained by the fact that doctors now know much better how to treat Covid 19 patients if they have severe courses. For example, an American study has just shown that the death rate in hospitals can be almost halved if patients are treated with high-dose blood thinners such as heparin. Antiviral drugs such as Remdesivir are also used earlier, and dexamethasone, which prevents the immune response from escalating, is now also part of the standard treatment.

However, this explanation does not apply, at least in Germany, because there are currently only few severe cases in which such treatment would be necessary at all. In mid-April, at the height of the epidemic, there were 2,679 patients with Covid-19 in the intensive care units in Germany according to the DIVI intensive care register, in mid-May there were still 1,294.

In contrast, there are currently 246, almost as many as six weeks ago. “An unresolved question is why we have so much less difficult processes,” says Gerd Antes.

I am an NHS nurse in the UK. I know one colleague, but she only had mild symptoms. Not one of my community caseload has been diagnosed fortunately. However it doesn't mean people haven't had it, they may have been asymptomanic so didn't get tested.

A teacher friend was just diagnosed. There will be many more of those to come now that schools have opened.

Ugh, sorry! here are a few key points

Thanks!

That 18 day time frame is interesting. I haven't seen anyone here put quite such a fine point on it, and a lot of the talk is still around deaths lagging cases by about a month. I looked at our state's dashboard through that lens and I see the same thing the European countries are seeing. On Aug 14, there were almost 1100 new cases identified in Michigan, a number that prompted some alarm because that's the same kind of number we were seeing in April. But 18 days later, which would be yesterday, we had just 7 reported deaths (which is consistent with the our recent totals, not a fluke). Our case totals haven't consistently been that high - the 7-day rolling average is around 700 right now - but daily deaths are steady in the high single digits or low teens. Which is still far worse than most of Europe is faring right now, when you take into account that our population is only 10 million, but nothing like what we saw early on.

A close friend called last night to say his test was positive. As we visited him a little over a week ago (outside around the fire pit, but masks off as we were having wine), guess who is now sitting in quarantine, waiting for her testing appointment?

A close friend called last night to say his test was positive. As we visited him a little over a week ago (outside around the fire pit, but masks off as we were having wine), guess who is now sitting in quarantine, waiting for her testing appointment?

Good luck to you (and your friend), hope you test negative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter