How Much Extra Tip?

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
I was thinking about grabbing some Christmas cards, slipping 5 dollars into them and giving them to our servers, and room steward on Christmas day. Would 5 be enough, or too cheap... or what? This is on top of the normal expected tips - just something to say Merry Christmas. I thought I might also pick up some small boxes of chocolates to go with.

I was thinking about grabbing some Christmas cards, slipping 5 dollars into them and giving them to our servers, and room steward on Christmas day. Would 5 be enough, or too cheap... or what? This is on top of the normal expected tips - just something to say Merry Christmas. I thought I might also pick up some small boxes of chocolates to go with.
Five dollars sounds cheap. Just give them the extra five dollars with their tip. Give the card separate. Chocolate is not a good idea. You don’t know what they like. They could be allergic, a diabetic, on a diet, not like it.

I know even if I didn't celebrate a holiday I wouldn't turn my nose up at cash and chocolate.

Your thought is very nice, but crew come from all over the world and may not celebrate Christmas. I would add extra gratuities to your account or in the final night envelopes. Whatever you would spend on the cards and chocolates could just be given in cash.

I know even if I didn't celebrate a holiday I wouldn't turn my nose up at cash and chocolate.
Definitely not the cash, but I suspect at the chocolate no matter the good intentions. Right, wrong, or indifferent.

The gift and idea comes from you and your culture. They can share gifts with their co-workers if they don’t want the specific idea. And, yes, Christmas Day would be lovely. They may not celebrate the specific holiday, but they will be aware of it if they are working on a ship decorated with trees.

If we were British, we would give gifts to workers on Dec 26 - Boxing Day. Those from former British colonies / The Commonwealth would be familiar with that concept.

Finding the ”right” amount is a challenge. It is a gesture of kindness.

You will get a variety of opinions but to me what matters is what you want to do! Personally, I think your gesture sounds great and not needed or expected so to me thst makes it better, others may disagree.

A few years back on the Fantasy we bought individual rum cakes for our servers and stateroom hosts just for fun and as a kind extra gesture.

They all told us they loved it and really like it since they don’t get to get their own usually!

Do what your heart tells you to do and you won’t go wrong.

Although many will not give extra I do not think $5 is enough. When we go out on Christmas Day, the people that serve us regardless of whether or not we know of their Christmas culture, we tip 100% above the normal tip. They are working a holiday and away from their family. If they don’t celebrate Christmas they are most likely working a holiday that they do celebrate and they are not even recognized on that day. Thank you for thinking of others.

I think it's a very nice idea! It's the thought behind it that counts. If they don't want the chocolate, they can make someone else happy by sharing. If they think $5 is cheap, they can give that $5 to someone else to spend. If they don't celebrate Christmas, they will see that you do and should understand you are not trying to offend any one with your kind gesture. Don't overthink it. Go with your gut and do what feels right to you! ❤️

We always give treats to our stateroom host and servers as a thank you along with a few extra bucks. We did not do treats last Nov due to covid but this year we will again. We have been told by different people on all 4 ships that the treats are SO appreciated. They do not get out to get these things and are limited often to what is in the commisary. I include things like toothbrushes, lip balm along with crackers, chocolate, gum etc. We were told that they do trade with others for things they don't use or like.
Anything extra is a plus for them and they appreciate it all. I think it's kind of you to want to do anything extra above and beyond what they normally get.

We just got off the Wish and we added $10 cash for our host, server and assistant server and $5 for the head server. I think whatever extra you want to add is nice and appreciated. Additionally, I made sure to mention our team by name on our survey and even followed it up with an additional email. I know that those positive comments can go a long way for them in terms of improving their assignment, pay, etc. And I didn't just list their names - I made sure to mention at least one specific thing each person did that made our cruise more magical.

Several years ago we celebrated Christmas Day on the Dream and our family gave all our servers, stateroom hosts and the concierge hosts small gifts of chocolate. Everyone seemed very appreciative and I have always felt it was the right thing to do. You don't need to but I love Christmas and wanted to share in a bit of holiday spirit.

The topic of gifts for crew members comes up now and then. Yes, the crew will always express appreciation for gifts from guests. After all, they are in the service industry. But, cash allows them to get what they like or send it home. The very best thing you can do for the crew is to mention them by name in your survey or email customer service after the cruise with your compliment. That results in time off, promotions, and better contracts.

I think thats a really lovely gesture, if every one gave them $5 then they’d do pretty well so if thats what you’re thinking go for it. Im sure they would appreciate that. But also go for some chocolates or something fun. Im an atheist and dont get offended if people wish me a merry christmas, they’re just extending their best wishes so go for it.

I think it's a sweet gesture! I don't think it matters if they celebrate Christmas, personally. People are generous and excited when they extend their celebrations to others, regardless of whether they share that background. I have been given money for Chinese New Year from a colleague/friend who was excited to share the custom (I'm not Chinese), and I sure didn't think about declining that cash!

You asked if it would seem cheap. Put yourself as the receiver instead of the giver. We on here know you have the best intentions and are doing something kind. As the receiver, who is basically a stranger, does it mean more to be given $10 instead?

I get it. My love language is giving. I just also know that it can't be how it makes me feel, it needs to be whether this is something that is meaningful to the recipient. Some recipients will love it, some will wonder why not just cash. Imo, I would up the cash and give the chocolate so it is win win.

But honestly, you just have to do what you are led to do. You won't please everyone, but you will know you did a kind thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you decide to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter