How to get my Surprise Engagement ring through security??

trekkinDave

Earning My Ears
As the title reads, I am looking for advice on how to get my engagement ring through airport security while traveling with my girlfriend to WDW.

I am concerened that my bag will get "additional screening" with her near buy and that the obviously engagement ring sized black velvet box will be noticed by her..

she is clueless though about the proposal, and thinks that it is still 6 months off in the future.

I don't want to carry it in my pocket, incase i get wand-ed and need to empty my pockets. I WILL NOT CHECK IT!!!

I read a suggestion that i should put it in the carry on between layers of clothes, with a little note with something like "This is a surprise engagement ring.. please don't spoil it"

I bring jewelery through airport security all the time and have never had a problem. Maybe take it out of the ring box and place it in a pocket of your jeans? I have a little jewelery wallet that use to hold my jewelery. If you want it to not be obvious if your bag gets opened in front of her think of putting it somewhere other than the pretty little ring box. Do not leave it on your person and try to get through security! Just make sure that you follow all of the TSA rules and you don't need to worry about it. Don't pack any liquids, except for the ones under 3 ounces in your quart sized baggie separate from your carry-on, etc...

I agree with Tracy, take it out of the ring box and place it in your wallett or in your pocket. You can still pack the ring box (for use at the proposal), just don't keep the ring in it for travelling.

Just for clarification, I think what Tracy is saying put it in the pocket on your jeans that are in your carryon...Not the jeans you are wearing because it will go off when you go thru the metal detector if you do that.... It would be very unusual for security to go thru your carryon unless you have something in there you are not supposed to have. A ring is allowed so that is not going to be an issue at all. Just make sure you have no liquids, gels etc etc in anything other than approved containers. No aerosols, no lighters, no pocket knives etc....
and Congratulations :) No better place to propose than The Happiest Place on Earth!!!!!

Just for clarification, I think what Tracy is saying put it in the pocket on your jeans that are in your carryon...Not the jeans you are wearing because it will go off when you go thru the metal detector if you do that.... It would be very unusual for security to go thru your carryon unless you have something in there you are not supposed to have. A ring is allowed so that is not going to be an issue at all. Just make sure you have no liquids, gels etc etc in anything other than approved containers. No aerosols, no lighters, no pocket knives etc....
and Congratulations :) No better place to propose than The Happiest Place on Earth!!!!!

haha thanks Angy, after re-reading my post I see where there could be confusion. I did mean in clothing inside the carry-on..lol

and I forgot to say Congrats! and Good Luck with your proposal!!

I vote for that!
Ship the ring ahead of time...then you will have no worries about losing it, having DGF see it, or having it get lost or stolen.

I vote for carrying it on you. I wouldn't ship it- too many factors there. What if it's lost, delayed, etc. and if it does get there in time, what if someone is checking you both in and says, "Oh, Mr.XXX your packaged arrived..." then DGF would be curious as to exactly WHAT arrived. You could always write a note on the box, but it seems too risky for me...

I know you have it on another thread...but I am still voting for #3!!!

There are ways around common shipping concerns (I do a lot of paypal & ebay and have not had any issues yet in almost 9 years).

1. Insure it
2. Track it
3. Request that the front desk hold all packages. Therefore he would have to ask them if anything has arrived from him which it shouldn't be too hard to sneak away from her for a few quick moments. Grab the ring from the front desk and have them dispose of the packaging.

Just my thoughts

Maybe it could be shipped to the manager of your resort and placed in the safe until you arrive? Might be worth a phone call to the resort. Congratulations :thumbsup2

Well i have another post dedicated to the acual proposal idea.. but here goes...

CRT is out.... didn't book it in time and there are no openings...

There is the wishing well - close your eyes and make a wish... POOF there an engagement ring when you open then... "I promise to make all your wishes come true forever... will you marry me?"

OR

Get a photopass photog in on it to get a picture... i have a mickey proposing to minnie pin (she likes to pin trade) and i wanted to give it to the photo in secret and convince her to try to trade with him since the pin is "backwards/secret". When she get the pin, she will be confused and have a look at me.. then i will propose and the photog will take a few snaps for me...

Or tell her i bought her a pin and make her pick a hand... one hand is the ring, the other is the pin... she WILL get the pin... be confused and look at me like "What is this?" then i propose.

I like the idea of the photog one.. but it maybe tricky since I havent dealt with them in the past and dont know if they will be able to work with me in my desired spot of the circle in front of the castle.

It will be the first night of our arrival at disney... we are flying in, going to Downtown disney for lunch, then to MK around 6 for the fireworks.... i was planning on it right around that time we get to MK.

I wanted to do it day two, but our planning has us at hollywood studios on day 2.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated

I wouldn't ship it- too many factors there. ... what if someone is checking you both in and says, "Oh, Mr.XXX your packaged arrived..." then DGF would be curious as to exactly WHAT arrived.

Yeah, in Jan I had ordered 2 packages that were delivered (with MY name on them) before we arrived. After we checked in and got a room assigned there was a message on our phone in my DW's name saying that SHE had a package to pick up. We both went to get it and sure enough, they were addressed to ME, but, the resort had attached a sheet with my DW's name instead.

I wouldn't worry about a ring in your pocket setting off the metal detector. I always walk through it with my watch (solid stainless steel), keys, belt buckle all on and have yet to set it off even once...a tiny little ring certainly wouldn't do it. I would slip it in my pocket and put the empty box in your carryon, then you could just put the ring back in at some point on the flight or when she goes to the restroom at the airport.

I wouldn't worry about a ring in your pocket setting off the metal detector. I always walk through it with my watch (solid stainless steel), keys, belt buckle all on and have yet to set it off even once...a tiny little ring certainly wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't count on this. I've set airport metal detectors off with the buckles of my Birkenstocks, with a forgotten gum wrapper in my pocket and several other small bits of metal.

That said, what kind of metal is the ring? Coming back and thinking about this thread it occurs to me that I've never removed my wedding ring while walking through a metal detector. So, as long as you are really careful about not having any other metal on you, the ring should make it through the detectors in your pocket. (I might tie it to a belt loop for safety though, just in case you end up with a whole in your pocket.)

It will all depend on the sensitivity of the metal detectors whether a ring in your pocket will set it off. In the past I have had my wedding rings set it off, I have had it go off for unknown reasons, I have had the titanium in my back set it off, which I was always told was not supposed to happen, so its anyones guess as to whether it will or will NOT set it off so just take that into account and plan accordingly for the worst possible scenario since your question was how to get it thru security without it being found. One of my friends mothers had 3 small hairpins in her hair and that set off the metal detectors so there is obviously no rhyme or reason to what sets off the metal detectors....

Go, enjoy yourself and I hope the engagement is as much of a surprise as you want it to be :)

after speaking with the jewlery lady when i got the ring appraised for insurance, she said that putting it in my pocket WOULD NOT set off the metal detector. She also said to avoid and problems with the xray guys mentioning a ring box..... put that in the carry on.

i am going to get a small velvet travel pouch to put the ring in and put it in my pocket or my wallet (jsut for metal detector, then back into pocket). i think this will work.. and if questioned i will pull the guy to the side and explain.

after speaking with the jewlery lady when i got the ring appraised for insurance, she said that putting it in my pocket WOULD NOT set off the metal detector. She also said to avoid and problems with the xray guys mentioning a ring box..... put that in the carry on.

i am going to get a small velvet travel pouch to put the ring in and put it in my pocket or my wallet (jsut for metal detector, then back into pocket). i think this will work.. and if questioned i will pull the guy to the side and explain.

perfect!
:)

Well think about it, if a simple ring would set it off, so would the snap on your jeans and various other things. My watch is hefty and weighs about a quarter pound of solid steel, along with a gold belt buckle and a pocket full of keys, plus rings I wear from time to time and in all my years of flying have never once set anything off.

No worries, your surprise shall not be spoiled. Enjoy your trip and please share the engagement photo with us all...best of luck to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter