How to get my Surprise Engagement ring through security??

Well think about it, if a simple ring would set it off, so would the snap on your jeans and various other things. My watch is hefty and weighs about a quarter pound of solid steel, along with a gold belt buckle and a pocket full of keys, plus rings I wear from time to time and in all my years of flying have never once set anything off.

Some sensors are very sensitive. For example a few years back by bf and I went to kings dominion (theme park) and his watch set off their security alarms. We were both shocked as this was our second time entering the park that day with nothing on us but money and id.

:love: :hippie: :worship: :rotfl2: :thumbsup2 :banana:
thanks for the info - useful thread...

this seems useful information...thanks for sharing...

see ya...
:) :hug: :rolleyes1 :dance3: :laundy: :love: :hippie: :cool1:

I always go through security with my engagement ring, wedding band and another gold ring on. I've never set off the alarm -- and I've traveled all over Europe and the U.S.

I always go through security with my engagement ring, wedding band and another gold ring on. I've never set off the alarm -- and I've traveled all over Europe and the U.S.

That's what I was thinking, engagements go through every day when people are wearing them without sounding the alarms.:confused3

Just to be safe.. my plan of attack is to send her a few people ahead while i "arrange" my electronics for the x-ray machine. Im going to take my time and even if it ticks off alot of the other travelers.. she will be far enough ahead of me that even if i do alarm.. i will be able to say something to the screener about the surpise ring in my pocket.

although everyone is right.. i dont think that there will be a problem with a small ring.. the box is going to be checked in my baggage..

How about having the ring shipped directly to the resort or hotel. Congrats!!!

There are ways around common shipping concerns (I do a lot of paypal & ebay and have not had any issues yet in almost 9 years).

1. Insure it
2. Track it
3. Request that the front desk hold all packages. Therefore he would have to ask them if anything has arrived from him which it shouldn't be too hard to sneak away from her for a few quick moments. Grab the ring from the front desk and have them dispose of the packaging.

Just my thoughts

Whatever you do DON"T ship it!! The point is to have the ring in Disney World for the proposal. Insuring it and tracking it won't be any condolence if they say "oops we lost it" or "oops it has been delayed" which I've heard from FedEx, UPS, and the USPS. My favorite was when the USPS lost a letter I sent Express Overnight which included "tracking". They completely lost it and were not helpful in locating it. They kept telling me to just file a claim. Not helpful when the letter contained documents the recipient NEEDED. :headache:

I never take my ring or watch off to go through security and they have NEVER set off the metal detector.

Oh and congratulations!!

Do you have a back-pack or fanny pack you could put it in and not have to worry about anything setting it off? As the previous posters stated a lot of detectors are very sensitive so why risk it? It is so small that you could just slip it into your wallet so you can send it through the x-ray machine and then slip it back into your pocket so you can keep up with it. I personally wouldn't risk it and make it easier on yourself.
Congrats!
Have Fun!!
pirate: pirate:

Actually a ring shouldn't set off the alarm, I have two big gold ones I wear all the time, never take them off they don't set off the alarm.

Another reason not to worry. Say it did set off the alarm (which isn't going to happen)...when they move you over for a personal screening, they won't allow her ANYWHERE NEAR YOU while they're doing it. They generally ask the other people to move on out of the security area for fear you could pass something along to them.

So if it ever became an issue, she would be far enough away that she wouldn't see. Plus you could tell the officer and they would be discrete about it...I mean, what are they going to hold it in the air yelling and screaming??? (kidding of course)

Have fun, don't be nervous, just fall to your knees, look her in the eyes and tell her exactly how much you love her and enjoy the rest of your lives (and beyond) together.....oh, and then come back on here and give us a full report!!!! :cool1:

I would take it with you but I wouldn't worry about the metal detector so much as the Security People blabbing about what's in the suitcase (there's a thread on here where one Dis'r was surprising his gf and the security guy said "guess someone's getting a surprise engagement at Disney!!" or something close to that effect. He was so totally bummed out and his soon-to-be fiance said not to worry, she would put it out of her mind since she didn't know when or how he was going to propose.

How disheartening was that! Good luck and I hope it remains a surprise for your gf! We would love to hear the how and when!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter