How to shoot fireworks

DizGeek said:
Thanks for the spots...Is there anyone here that has pics on a web site that were taken from outside MK?

fireworks_4972.jpg

Taken from the ferry dock at TTC.

Date/Time: 2003:09:20 21:05:19
Shutter speed: 1/8 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Continuous: frame 1
ISO: 400
Lens: 70 to 200mm
Focal length: 84mm
Subject distance: 30 m
AF mode: Manual focus
Image size: 1440 x 2160

handicap18 said:
:offtopic:

Just noticed you are from Hingham. I worked on the Quincy ferry boats for a while a few years back. Lived in Quincy for 4+ years. I still work out of Braintree. Live a little more north in Burlington now though.

Howdy, neighbor! :wave2:

Interesting articles, with a lot of good tips.

Over exposure of fireworks is common, washing out all the color. I sometimes use a nearby light source to set a baseline exposure, adjusting until the image shows some detail instead of just white. Once the fireworks start I adjust again as necessary.

Before the start I focus on something at a long distance, then switch the focus to manual and don't touch the focusing ring.

Carrying a tripod is not always easy, without one I set the shutter speed to the slowest that I can handhold with, usually about 1/8 or 1/4 with a monopod or IS, 1/15 or 1/30 without.
No, this won't give the nice long trails but at least most of the images will be reasonably sharp.

A nice black sky makes it easy to overlay some extra bursts in the image later. ;)

I'm working on a video for my daughter who was a CM at Toontown last summer. She was so thrilled to be in the US for the 4th of July and loved the fireworks at MK on the 4th. I would love to incorporate a couple of pictures from that day...didn't know if this is the right place to ask, but was hoping someone could help me out? Thanks!

Hi all. Need some help. Taking the new Nikon D80 for the first time to Disney. I want to take some pics of the fireworks and Spectro Magic parade at MK. What shutter speed do you recommend for either one? I wont have anyplace to practice of fireworks before I go, so I was hoping someone who has taking pics of the fireworks could help me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry but I do not know what your camera settings are. If you don't have BULB mode I believe the standard answer is to start at ISO 100, F/11 and around 3-5 seconds. Tripod is a necessity and shutter release is preferable. I am by no means a good photographer, but I believe this information to be correct for your question. Hope I may have helped you:thumbsup2

I am not a Spectro expert b/c we usually use that time to catch short lines :thumbsup2 , but from what I can determine from the conditions and the experience of others, here is a shot at it.

You will want to use manual mode or at least shutter priority with some exposure compensation (I believe that around +1.5 has been mentioned). The shutter speed is very importand to prevent motion blur. I would say that 1/60 is about as slow as you would want for a normal focal length, but that can vary. You then need to apply the ISO and aperture to the settings needed to maintain your exposure. You are likely going to need to use a high ISO, like around 1600. With aperture, you want to make sure that you do not limit your DOF too much unless that is what you want. You could also benefit from a fast lens like a 50mm prime, but then you can get into DOF issues so I would then shoot in aperture priority mode with that lens and just pay attention to the selected shutter speed. As for a flash, the on camera flash would probably do more harm than good, but an external flash either diffused or compensated down is used by some with success. There is no way to bounce the flash outside unfortunately ;)

One very important thing that many people forget :confused3 , find a good spot early!!! Without that it is pointless to even try taking pictures of the parade. This is also important with fireworks, but not as much of an issue b/c they are in the sky. Just try to get a spot without someone in front of you and try to keep people from bumping your tripod. A Gorillapod on a fence or railing might work well.

Kevin

We soooooo need a new sticky for Fireworks.

Here are my recomendations (doesn't matter what dSLR you have and also for a P&S its pretty much the same).

Fireworks:
1. Tripod
2. Remote shutter release
Set Camera to Manual
3. ISO: lowest (100 or 200)
4. Aperture: f/8 - f/11
5. Shutter Speed: 2 to 6 seconds (thus the NEED of the tripod and remote shutter release). Try to time your shutter opening to when you hear the first pfffft or launching of the firework. This will help get you the long streaks followed by the big bright colorful bursts.

Now there are some variations you can do. You can do such as:
Use BULB mode and time your shutter opening and closing on your own (be sure to count to yourself so you don't have the shutter open to long and overexpose the image. Anything longer than 10 seconds and you might be asking for trouble. That is unless you have a black piece of paper handy and can cover the front of the lens inbetween bursts to get a different effect as well, however, you can get the same effect in the digital darkroom by doing layers and merging 2 photos.

If you don't have a tripod:
1. ISO Highest you have (P&S cameras are usually 400 or 800, dSLR's are usually 1600 or 3200), however, keep in mind that using a high ISO in this situation will more than likely cause a high amount of noise in the picture.
2. Aperture: Widest you can get. For P&S camera's that usually f/2.8. For dSLR's it depends on the lens. Most kit lenses widest is f/3.5 at the widest end of the focal length (18mm or so). Though depending on the location you picked to view Wishes you probably wont use 18mm. So you might end up somewhere around f/4
3. Shutter Speed: This depends on the person holding the camera. How steady are your hands. If there pretty steady you can probably get away with 1/15th or 1/30th. If you have some sort of Image Stabilization built into the camera or lens, then you can probably go slower, down to 1/10th. Again, it depends on how steady you are. Everyone is a little different. So find the slowest shutter that gets you the clearest picture.
4. With no tripod, you'll want to time your shutter release at the hight of the big colorful burst.

Lastly, don't wait for the great picture to happen. Take lots and lots of pictures. If you try to wait for the good one to happen, it wont. The more you take the more good ones you'll end up with.

For SpectoMagic. Do a search. There was a recent thread with LOTS of info. Spectro is probably one of THE hardest events to take a picture of in Disney.

Ok, so something just occurred to me. I have the S2 IS with no possibility of a remote shutter release. This is a problem. However, lets say I set my shutter speed to 3 seconds, hit the shutter opening with a black piece of paper in front of the lens, then immediately take the paper away. Would this work to stop the initial camera shake from the shutter release, or would it even matter since the S2 has Image Stabilization anyways? Just curious.

Andy

That might work, depends on how much you jiggled the camera during the exposure. It's a timing issue. Will you have the time that the lens is clear during the portion of the fireworks you want to capture? Try it and find out, doesn't cost anything to try.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I should of told you my lenses. I have the Nikon D80 w/2 lenses. The kit lens is 18-55 and I also have the 70-300vr lens. Which lens do you recommend for the fireworks? I will use the 18-55 for Spectro. Not sure about the fireworks. I am going to get the remote release this weekend. Thanks again.

ddisney

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I should of told you my lenses. I have the Nikon D80 w/2 lenses. The kit lens is 18-55 and I also have the 70-300vr lens. Which lens do you recommend for the fireworks? I will use the 18-55 for Spectro. Not sure about the fireworks. I am going to get the remote release this weekend. Thanks again.

ddisney

Where do you normally position yourself for the fireworks? The 18-55 is definately a good choice for the parade, but where are you planning to capture the fireworks from?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter