How to shoot fireworks

Everyone else pretty much said it, but I'll say it too...

I like to use f/10 and ISO 200, though I have gotten away with ISO800 and had great results (though its not recommended to go that high). BULB mode is right on. You just have to watch your timing.

As for focusing, when taking fireworks shots of WISHES, your best bet is to auto focus on the Castle, then switch to manual focus. This way the camera wont try to refocus after every shot.

You can also do this with your local fireworks show, so long as there is something to focus on like the tree line or something in the direction of where the fireworks will be going off that may have some lights. Or wait till the first big burst goes off, then focus on that and then switch to manual focus.

As for the Grand Finale, there is going to be LOTS AND LOTS of light. That part of the show is the hardest to get good pictures, there is just to much light contrasting with a very dark background. If you want to have a go at it, then I suggest making your aperture smaller like to f/22 and using only a 1 or 2 second shutter.

Good luck and have fun.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that has pointed me in the right direction. The good news is that I had that opportunity to practice, so I could learn what NOT to do! :laughing:

I feel much more confident going into this than I did a couple days ago! Hopefully I'll be able to post an update in a few days with some killer fireworks shots! :dance3:

Can't wait to see! Maybe you can see Wishes twice to give you one shot at shooting and review before trying again?????

Just keep reviewing your lcd screen and adjust as you go.

Have fun!

I have found that Aperture Priority works fine for exposure since the brightness of the shells can vary a lot. I normally don't press the shutter release until the shell(s) explode.
The only problem with that is that you miss the explosion - which may or may not be an issue depending on your tastes, but for me that's very important - and the camera only knows the aperture for that instant; there's no way for the camera to really know the aperture for the firework trails since it can't look into the future and see how bright they'll be. That being said, the photos you posted look very good!

7788d316.jpg

If you can, look in your local town or even surrounding towns, if there is a fireworks event to photograph. This is a photo from my backyard with a standard 70-300. I was trying 2.5 secs. Just to see what it was looking like. Practice Practice Practice That's what I was always told as a kid.

Just for some suggestion from my first time shooting fireworks....

Fuji S700 7.1 mp "superzoom"
Manual mode.
I set the ISO to 64, lowest I have.
Set the aperture to the upper middle of my range, f/6.3
Longest shutter I can do is 4 seconds.
Tripod.

I set the 2 second timer so that I wouldn't move the camera when I hit the shutter. I would start the process as soon as I saw something shot off and the camera would open the shutter 2 seconds later.

Oh, focus. Before it got dark, there was a row of trees right in front of where the fireworks would be shot off in the distance. I focused on those trees and adjusted slightly further and set the manual focus to hold that point. This is the toughest part, deciding how to focus. I was guessing that the focus was correct.

In post processing, I upped the black level a little bit to get rid of the smokey sky that was showing to make it more black.

A few examples....

20100704DSCF3905.jpg

20100704DSCF3890.jpg

20100704DSCF3886.jpg

Autofocus to infinity then set it to manual, manual exposure (about the only time I use it) set the aperture to f/11, ISO to 100, shutter to 4, and wait for the fireworks.

roe_5258.jpg

roe_5279.jpg

The only problem with that is that you miss the explosion ... That being said, the photos you posted look very good!
Thanks for the compliments... Like with most things, it's a trade-off. I find I get enough keepers using aperture priority that it works for me since there's a lot of latitude in the brightness of shells. For example, some of the last barrages of Illuminations are off-the-scale bright compared to most shells. I also like multi-shell bursts, so I often get secondary shells in the act of exploding during long exposures.

wow BUMP this thread! This has helped me soo much! Im soo excited for my upcoming Disney trip! I hope my pics come out wonderful!

The Gorillapod looks awesome! I have the Canon SX 20 IS should I be getting the gorillapod SLR?

Hi,
I have a nikon d90 with a kit lense and nikon 35mm lense. I am a novice, basically. We are leaving for disney in 8 days:cool1:. My girls are finally old enough to stay up for the night time parade...what is the best way to get the night time parade shots and/or fireworks shots. Be advised that I will NOT have a tripod available for use. I am the family sherpa, i cannot carry another single thing, lol! I know not to use my flash but after that I am lost.
TIA,
sss

While I don't have a DSLR, I tried the whole tripod thing with my camera for the ELP, but it was much more of a hassle than necessary and I wound up just taking pictures by hand. The best thing I can tell you to do is mess around with the settings quickly at first, and as soon as you find one setting that works, stick with it.

As for fireworks, it really depends on your camera.

ef200bf5.jpg

I got that one using f/2.3, 1/8 sec. shutter speed and ISO-800.

For the parade, you will need a shutter speed faster than where a tripod becomes necessary. You will need probably at least 1/60 to prevent subject motion blur, but I would try for even faster.

For really good fireworks shots, a tripod is a must. A remote shutter release is also very helpful. If you cannot use a tripod, I would honestly suggest just enjoying the show.

For the parade, you will need a shutter speed faster than where a tripod becomes necessary. You will need probably at least 1/60 to prevent subject motion blur, but I would try for even faster.

For really good fireworks shots, a tripod is a must. A remote shutter release is also very helpful. If you cannot use a tripod, I would honestly suggest just enjoying the show.

Yep. That. On all counts! :thumbsup2

I can't wait to give them both at try in December. And as the designated sherpa of our group, I say.... what's one more thing????? :rotfl:

Many here stop and get a locker on their way into the park and stow the tripod for the day, then stop back at the locker late afternoon or early evening to swap it for some of the other stuff they've been carrying.

The two events really require very different approaches. You are looking for the fastest shutter time you can achieve for the night parade, and for the fireworks you want a nice long shutter speed.

Spent a week at the Poly and took lots of pictures of the MK fireworks from the beach. I have more pictures of random stuff around the park I will try and get up here. I had a blast with my new DSLR, 50mm lens and assorted filters. If anyone has any comments or helpful suggestions I am completely open since I am a certified newbie to the DSLR world. I have not done any photoshop touch up to get rid of the smoke or change the exposure for the castle, etc. but that is next on my list for some of these.

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter