• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How was it for just adults?

For our 25th Anniversary ( she jokes 25 yrs- she'd have been paroled by now), we're doing a Magic Tortola Cruise w/o the kids. Magic is in dry dock as you know, and many changes are coming to the Adult Olny Areas, such as better lounge chairs and the pool... Can't wait. OBTW, We'll also see MNSSHP at MK while we're down there.:woohoo:

Dh and I love DCL. We have no children and prefer DCL over any other Cruise line. We have cruised on many other cruise lines prior to finding DCL & DCL is the only way we'll go-ever! The adult areas are great, Sereity Bay is pure paradise and DCL is top-notch. Nobody does it like DCL & they do a wonderful job of enforcing the adult-only areas!!
Plus it doesn't hurt that Dh and I LOVE everything Disney! :goodvibes

Even if you are travelling without children, you will have a wonderful time.

We have cruised 4 times now with no kids and our 5th is coming right up. (all w/ DCL)
we have never felt out of place, and enjoy the family entertainment sometimes even more than the adult geared events.

We love relaxing in the rainforest room at the spa and DH loves going to the Cove Cafe for a coffee.

We find for us that when all is said and done the cruise weeks are a little cheaper than our WDW weeks.

typically we stay at a moderate with park hopper passes for at least 5 of the 7 nights we are there. when you add in meals it ends up being as much or more than our cruises (we have been fortunate enough to get the "Secret Porthole" rooms for our last 2 cruises and our next one)
I think it all comes down to when you go, and how far in advance you book the cruise.

We have been fortuneate enough to cruise seven times, only with Disney and we only want to cruise with Disney, just our preference. All but one of those cruises has been with our children. In January 05 my DW and I were able to take a 7 night voyage by ourselves on DCL (long story). We were not at all surprised that we had a blast! Since our kids had been on and would be again, there was no guilt about what they might be missing. The pace was even more relaxed than usual. We did most of the "adult" only programs that we hadn't done before. Mostly we enjoyed hitting Rockin Bar D everynight for the theme parties. We danced pretty much every night until 1ish. Since our youngest was only 9 at the time, it had been our first opportunity to be out together "late" at night and kick up our heals a bit.

It was awesome! It was the first time in close to 17 years that she and I had that much time alone. We flew down the day before and spent the day at the Magic Kingdom and go "stranded" in Florida the day we left the ship and spent the day in Epcot. Yes, we're big Disney fans, but not a must for the cruise.

So another recommendation for a good time being had without the kids.

I agree...DCL is great for adults only. We have cruised twice on Disney. The first time was without kids on the Magic (Eastern) and the second was with our 15 month old on the Wonder (4 night).

The one thing I do agree with--the food on Disney is okay. Of course, Palo is absolutely wonderful and is a great treat. That being said, we cruised on the Coral Princess to Alaska this year (without kids) and the food was better than Disney's but was a little too exotic for me sometimes. We found ourselves missing Disney while on that cruise.

Another thing to consider, Disney keeps its ships impeccably maintained. I doubt you will find another cruiseline with its attention to detail. We had a mini-suite on the Coral Princess with VERY frayed carpet leading out to the balcony. We were very disappointed in the maintenance that Princess has done on that ship.

All I can say is that if Disney had been sailing to Alaska, we would have gone without our son.

A nice martini in the Cadillac Lounge, coupled with some relaxing piano music. Counting down the (few) days to go!!!

Ahh.. my favorite way to end the night...

PS I agree DCL is very expensive. We cruise off-season. We would never pay the high prices that they command during peak season (except for one Christmas cruise, which was a 4 day and not that bad). If we couldn't get a DCL cruise again at a great price I would just not cruise them. We love oranges!

We, too cruise off season. However, with all the upcharges on other lines, I'd be surprised if it's really cheaper to NOT sail DCL....

We don't have kids, went on a cruise with family (including six kids) and had a great time. We loved the adult areas and were thrilled at how non-crowded it was. Service was great, food was good, we were quite happy with the cabin (could hear kids in other rooms, but they were the kids in our party so it wasn't a big deal).

I never thought I'd like a cruise, but I'd go again, and I'd go on Disney. We're actually hesitant to go on another line now b/c we don't know how it'd compare. We don't want to give up the deserted adult beach on Castaway Cay, don't want to give up the pool and hot tub that you have easy access to.

We always cruise with DS, & sometimes his friends, but since he became a teen, I am definitely experiencing the cruise sans kids!

I do see him occassionally because I insist he meet us for dinner most nights, lol, but he loved the club, the lab, and now the Stack, so he's off & running after the first day. (okay I see him sleeping!)

One thing I really, really enjoy is the Art of entertaining series for adults, especially the cooking demonstrations by the head chef. Unlike the other ships I've been on where this is a big group demo done in the atrium or theater, on DCL it has been in Studio Sea, more intimate with tables & chairs. The demo is followed by tasting everything & the food served for all those in attendance, as well as wine pairings served after explanations from the sommelier (sp?)! The recipes are available and have been fantastic.

Everyone has mentioned lots of the other things available for adults, and it's all good. I cruise a lot & people are surprised that DCL is our favorite, but I think they picture 100s of kids with no separation or structure, or they just don't realize the zillions of great things there are for kids & adults alike. :cool2:

I did an "All Girls Cruise" on RC a couple of years ago. Then last year my friend who just loves Disney suggested we do an "All Girls Cruise" on Disney. I thought, "How much fun can we have on Disney"? Boy did she show me! :rotfl:
I have children of my own so being around children on the boat was no problem at all. However, they keep them so busy that unless you are around the kiddy pool I really didn't see to many just running around. And they all seemed so happy! :lmao:

We had the time of our life hanging out in the adult areas. The pool was great, we had a fantastic time dancing the night away at the clubs :woohoo: and visiting all the other adult only areas! They have games also just for adults that are adult themed :rolleyes1 and are very very fun!

As a matter of fact we leave on Tuesday for our next "Girls Only Trip" with Disney! :banana:

My wife and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary on the Magic. Best trip we've ever taken - and yes the kids were not with us! Don't hesitate!

Kids aren't seen as much as one might think, since many spend so much time in the kids club (there's even a private passageway for the kids attending kids' club activities as well). We traveled DCL before we had kids and loved it. Never felt that there were too many kids around, and there was always something going on for adults.

The quality on the DCL ships is unsurpassed (in my opinion) as far as service and maintenance goes. I traveled Carnival last year and missed DCL the whole time! :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter