How's the dog thing going?

Look at this way, if the people who are now allowed to bring dogs to the resort are lying about the dogs being service animals so they can bring them to the park, then that means they won't be left in the hotel room to bark all day. See? Problem solved! :p
Right up until one of these "service dogs" bites a guest.

Then Disney might realize that having a bunch of pets running around isn't such a hot idea.

And it’s just doesn’t make any sense that the pet policy has anything to do with the increase in the parks. If these ppl are lying, then they don’t care that WDW is pet friendly. The increase in the parks is most likely part of the growing trend of ppl bringing dogs more places in public & calling them service dogs.

I definitely agree service dogs are a growing trend. But I also think the new dog policy makes it easier and more convenient for people to take advantage of calling their dog a service dog. Nobody asks questions as they enter the park with their dog as a service dog, but now they also have the option of leaving their dogs at the resort all day as a pet if they don't feel like bringing their dog to the park. Best of both worlds really.

Last edited:

Then Disney might realize that having a bunch of pets running around isn't such a hot idea.

I guess I just don't understand this argument. WDW also has the running risk of having a child getting bitten by one of the ducks surrounding Cinderella's Castle... so does that mean they should get rid of those as well? Animals (rats, cats, ducks, rabbits, etc.) are everywhere in Disney, you might just not see them. MOST of these dogs you see in the parks provide a function to their owners, to make CMs question each one would defeat the purpose.

I definitely agree service dogs are a growing trend. But I also think the new dog policy makes it easier and more convenient for people to take advantage of calling their dog a service dog. Nobody asks questions as they enter the park with their dog as a service dog, but now they also have the option of leaving their dogs at the resort all day as a pet if they don't feel like bringing their dog to the park. Best of both worlds really.
How? I honestly don’t see how it makes it easier? If they check in under the pet policy then they take a risk of being caught. If they don’t, then no policy matters. Nobody would ask questions b/c they’re afraid of ADA not b/c there is a pet policy.

I just don’t think that is a real risk. Dogs are more places now & there has not been this huge uptick in dog attacks in public places. If they are service dogs or being passed offf as service dogs, most likely these dogs are used to ppl & used to being in public. I think ppl who are opposed to the policy or don’t like dogs or think they’re hazardous or whatever just want these kinds of things to be true so they can say I told ya so, but just don’t think it’s likely.

I am sad that Disney is allowing pet dogs, because Disney is not a place to hang out all day with your dog. It's a place to go to theme parks, where pet dogs are not allowed, so it seems like a bad mix for everyone. I have said before why I don't like the idea, and I have spoken to Disney on the subject too.

What makes it worse is that, if dogs are allowed in food courts and on furniture, then Disney is to blame for that. They have to enforce the rules. I worry about Disney food preparation standards if they are willing to allow dogs to eat off food court tables because rather that than disturb guests?!

Disney is many different things to people. Some like to go and just enjoy the resort

I sat next to a lady on a plane last year who had an emotional support cat. The flight attendant did notify me and said she could move me if needed. The lady said she traveled a lot for work and the cat helped with her anxiety. It sat on a little pad on the floor the entire flight and she fed it a couple treats. Has anyone ever seen a cat at the parks or resorts?

How? I honestly don’t see how it makes it easier? If they check in under the pet policy then they take a risk of being caught. If they don’t, then no policy matters. Nobody would ask questions b/c they’re afraid of ADA not b/c there is a pet policy.

Because dogs are now allowed at certain resorts, therefore less questions will be asked in general because more dogs will be around? Seems pretty straightforward.

To answer the question in post number 127 above: Disney only allows dogs and miniature horses.

Because dogs are now allowed at certain resorts, therefore less questions will be asked in general because more dogs will be around? Seems pretty straightforward.
But that shouldn’t stop them from asking questions about dogs outside of those few resorts. Sorry, IMO, the 2 are unrelated. Like I said in a pp, I saw a ton more dogs in both of my last trips in July & Sept & that was a lot more than Feb just a few mos earlier. I think it’s just coincidental.

I just don’t think that is a real risk. Dogs are more places now & there has not been this huge uptick in dog attacks in public places. If they are service dogs or being passed offf as service dogs, most likely these dogs are used to ppl & used to being in public. I think ppl who are opposed to the policy or don’t like dogs or think they’re hazardous or whatever just want these kinds of things to be true so they can say I told ya so, but just don’t think it’s likely.

No there hasn't been in an increase in dog bites, i agree, but they do happen, and Disney will have a big issue on their hands if it does.

The other issue, as I raised earlier in the thread, is what happens when it's Summer and over 110 degrees outside, and an owner ties their dog up outside in the heat because they want to ride Test Track? That's not something I want to see at the parks, dogs tied up outside rides in the sweltering heat.

I know this is a trial run for Disney. I have to assume that there will be some additional changes to this policy down the line.

But that shouldn’t stop them from asking questions about dogs outside of those few resorts. Sorry, IMO, the 2 are unrelated. Like I said in a pp, I saw a ton more dogs in both of my last trips in July & Sept & that was a lot more than Feb just a few mos earlier. I think it’s just coincidental.

Maybe questions will be asked, but no proof can be asked. So if word is getting out that Disney is allowing service dogs, so you just have to say your pet is a service dog, then people will
have no problem saying that's the case, and word will spread. Good chance this is only going to increase once summer hits.
I'll be very interested to keep reading trip reports on this & see how it's going.

The other issue, as I raised earlier in the thread, is what happens when it's Summer and over 110 degrees outside, and an owner ties their dog up outside in the heat because they want to ride Test Track? That's not something I want to see at the parks, dogs tied up outside rides in the sweltering heat.
Service dogs are not simply tied up outside an attraction. There are special kennels for them.

Service dogs are not simply tied up outside an attraction. There are special kennels for them.
Right. So that would be the first red flag that they were not legit. But if ppl are going to lie, I’m assuming they’ll go through with the whole lie & tell the CM it’s a service dog & get it put in the kennel while they ride.

It’s just 2 different issues, those who lie to bring their pets into parks & the pet policy allowing pets in resorts. They are not related.

I've never stayed there, but I would love to. I just read some accounts of people actually seeing poop, stepping in poop or riding their bike through poop. Apparently there are some loops at FW where dogs have always been allowed, thus my "maybe always has been" comment. Others say it's worse now. Makes me sad.

So we can talk about dog poop until the cows come home but that one thread about the "Best Place to Poop" was removed. I actually found it very informative.

Look at this way, if the people who are now allowed to bring dogs to the resort are lying about the dogs being service animals so they can bring them to the park, then that means they won't be left in the hotel room to bark all day. See? Problem solved! :p
I guess that's one way to look at it.

I think they are related. Consider the family who takes Fido with them to Yacht Club resort as a pet (not a service animal). They will typically leave the dog in the room for up to 7 hours and go to the parks. At some point during the vacation, they might say, wouldn't it be fun to take Fido with us tomorrow to Epcot? He will love walking around with us. No problem, Fido the pet morphs into Fido the Emotional Support Animal for Epcot day.

Of course not every pet owner will do that, but I contend some will. I think that's why some are reporting a recent uptick in dogs in the parks. As the population of dogs at the resorts increases, it becomes more likely that some of those owners will attempt to bring their dog into the parks. Just my opinion folks.

Another possible scenario: Over the course of the week, the dog owner might start feeling guilty that they are leaving the dog alone in the hotel room all day thus tempting them to take the dog to the theme parks with them. Or instead of guilt, perhaps the owner finds that the dog is barking a lot, or urinating in the room, or chewing up the mattress because of boredom or fear.

Disclaimer: I believe that service dogs and ESAs provide a valuable service to those in need and I support them. I am fortunate that I don't need one. However, I do think that there is an increase in people declaring their pets as an ESA. As this abuse increases, I think their might be a backlash or overreaction in legislation on ESAs such that those with a true need for an ESA will be negatively impacted.

I think they are related. Consider the family who takes Fido with them to Yacht Club resort as a pet (not a service animal). They will typically leave the dog in the room for up to 7 hours and go to the parks. At some point during the vacation, they might say, wouldn't it be fun to take Fido with us tomorrow to Epcot? He will love walking around with us. No problem, Fido the pet morphs into Fido the Emotional Support Animal for Epcot day.

Of course not every pet owner will do that, but I contend some will. I think that's why some are reporting a recent uptick in dogs in the parks. As the population of dogs at the resorts increases, it becomes more likely that some of those owners will attempt to bring their dog into the parks. Just my opinion folks.

Another possible scenario: Over the course of the week, the dog owner might start feeling guilty that they are leaving the dog alone in the hotel room all day thus tempting them to take the dog to the theme parks with them. Or instead of guilt, perhaps the owner finds that the dog is barking a lot, or urinating in the room, or chewing up the mattress because of boredom or fear.

Disclaimer: I believe that service dogs and ESAs provide a valuable service to those in need and I support them. I am fortunate that I don't need one. However, I do think that there is an increase in people declaring their pets as an ESA. As this abuse increases, I think their might be a backlash or overreaction in legislation on ESAs such that those with a true need for an ESA will be negatively impacted.
There is no way to know, of course. I have stated that I saw an uptick before the policy started. Personally, I am interested to see what I think in Feb compared to what I saw in Sept. I’ve seen an uptick everywhere not just WDW. I’m sure nothing is absolute so maybe some will sneak their dogs in that only have them there b/c of the policy. But, it’s doubtful it’s enough to cause this uptick ppl are reporting. The ppl I have known to play the fake service animal game would have done it no mattter what. They’re typically rule breakers with a lot of things. On the other hand, ppl who are only now bringing their pets b/c it’s allowed are very unlikely to suddenly break the rules. They pay a hefty pet fee & sign a disclosure & then sneak them in the parks? Doesn’t make sense.

Also, I think some is unintentional. I think there is a lot of misinformation & confusion about the emotional support animal thing. I think some abuse it, but some feel they have a legitimate need & have acquired the proper paperwork legitimately BUT don’t realize that it does not officially qualify as a service dog. So, they’re not lying or faking but are misinformed.

I sat next to a lady on a plane last year who had an emotional support cat. The flight attendant did notify me and said she could move me if needed. The lady said she traveled a lot for work and the cat helped with her anxiety. It sat on a little pad on the floor the entire flight and she fed it a couple treats. Has anyone ever seen a cat at the parks or resorts?

The cat was out of a carrier and just sat there in its assigned spot? :eek:

My cat would be running amok...running down the aisle, climbing on people, stealing people’s food...

I can’t imagine a cat actually being that obedient. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter