How's the dog thing going?

Speaking of dogs eating off the table, I was confused about the photo that was on the "Dog Experiences" thread. The poster said the dog was "eating off the table" but I don't see a bowl or food in front of the dog. The dog *is* sitting on the bench instead of the floor and the girl next to it may have hand fed the dog food from her plate, but I think that "eating off the table" is another exaggeration.

FWIW, I do think that Disney should enforce their rules. A pet should not be in the food court to begin with.

I assumed it meant that the owner was dropping pieces of food directly on the table and letting the dog eat them directly off the table.

Speaking of dogs eating off the table, I was confused about the photo that was on the "Dog Experiences" thread. The poster said the dog was "eating off the table" but I don't see a bowl or food in front of the dog. The dog *is* sitting on the bench instead of the floor and the girl next to it may have hand fed the dog food from her plate, but I think that "eating off the table" is another exaggeration.

FWIW, I do think that Disney should enforce their rules. A pet should not be in the food court to begin with.
Maybe the dog ate off that table at a different moment than the photo was taken. I do agree that the Disney rules against pets in restaurants should be enforced, and based on all that I've directly observed or read, apparently they are not being enforced. BTW I saw a small dog in Pecos Bill's last month.

Last edited:
Well, that was not the photographic evidence. Just a dog sitting on the bench as "proof" that it was eating off the table. I guess I'm just a little skeptical.

Well, that was not the photographic evidence. Just a dog sitting on the bench as "proof" that it was eating off the table. I guess I'm just a little skeptical.
Regardless of whether one believes the eating off the table part, it's against policy for the dog to even be in the dining area, let alone sitting on the bench there.

if somebody wants to come to WDW and spend most of the day hanging around at the resort with their pet dog because they can't bear to leave it, that's totally their choice, so I'm not about to criticize WDW for "encouraging" such behavior. they've just made it a legitimate choice, and will accept $$ in pet fees.

Regardless of whether one believes the eating off the table part, it's against policy for the dog to even be in the dining area, let alone sitting on the bench there.

If it's a service dog, it must be allowed into the dining area (although they aren't required to allow it to sit at the table, whether it is eating or actually touching the table or not, unless it has to do so to perform its function). If it's a pet, then it should not have been in the area at all. From the photo, it's not possible to tell which is the case.

if somebody wants to come to WDW and spend most of the day hanging around at the resort with their pet dog because they can't bear to leave it, that's totally their choice, so I'm not about to criticize WDW for "encouraging" such behavior. they've just made it a legitimate choice, and will accept $$ in pet fees.
My issue really isn't with the people coming to the resort and hanging out there with their pet. It's with the fact that most people staying at a Disney resort don't hang out there all day, The will leave the dog behind unattended in an unknown environment while they're at the parks.

The policy is that a pet dog can be left alone in a resort room for a total of seven hours. That's the choice of the pet owner, to leave it alone that long.

I don't know how they are keeping track of how long the dog has been left in the room. The owner is supposed to hang a special tag on the door indicating to the housekeeping staff that there is a dog in the room. I also don't know what will happen if you leave your dog alone in the room for more than seven hours.

All they asked is where was it trained and certified. Service dogs have impressive documentation as to training.

If you're in the US, you can't ask this by law. No proof of training or certification is required for service animals. It probably can't be, either, because the law allows for persons to train their own service animals.

Last edited:
My issue really isn't with the people coming to the resort and hanging out there with their pet. It's with the fact that most people staying at a Disney resort don't hang out there all day, The will leave the dog behind unattended in an unknown environment while they're at the parks.
From what I observed, large numbers of dog owners are bringing their dog into the theme parks. Too many trips to count, over many years, and it's only on the most recent trip that I saw any real dogs in the theme parks. This time I saw many dogs in each park.

The policy is that a pet dog can be left alone in a resort room for a total of seven hours. That's the choice of the pet owner, to leave it alone that long.

I don't know how they are keeping track of how long the dog has been left in the room. The owner is supposed to hang a special tag on the door indicating to the housekeeping staff that there is a dog in the room. I also don't know what will happen if you leave your dog alone in the room for more than seven hours.
They're probably enforcing it the same way they are enforcing the "no dogs in the dining rooms" policy.

regarding dogs in the theme parks. Pets are not allowed in the theme parks. The animals you see in the parks have been presented as service animals, service animals in training, or possibly emotional support animals (I'm pretty sure WDW allows them because I talked to a guy carrying a small dog once and he said it was his wife's emotional support animal. She wasn't with him at the time.)

Which just means more people are presenting what they claim to be service animals, service animals in training, or emotional support animals. Whether they really are or not, it won't be enforced unless the owner loses control of the animal. Some pet owners will continue to present their animals as service animals at the resorts, basically because there are no pet fees for service animals.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Once the new pet policy rolled out, there was a sudden and drastic increase in the number of dogs being brought into the theme parks. So whether or not we like what is happening, we seem to agree at least that it is happening. Disney is legally allowed to ask: Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and What task is the dog trained to perform? But they have not been asking either of these questions.

Which just means more people are presenting what they claim to be service animals, service animals in training, or emotional support animals. Whether they really are or not, it won't be enforced unless the owner loses control of the animal. Some pet owners will continue to present their animals as service animals at the resorts, basically because there are no pet fees for service animals.

Exactly this. WDW can't ask for proof that it is a service animal, just ask two questions that anyone can lie about. So anyone can bring an animal in and "claim it's an emotional support animal". Is it restricted to just dogs? Perhaps I have a pet ferret or tortoise or yeti that I want to bring into the park because it helps me deal with crowds.

Per the ADA, service animals must be dogs or, in some cases, miniature horses. No other species qualifies.

It's a little bit murkier regarding emotional support animals, but businesses have more leeway regarding how to deal with those. The biggest issue currently is with airlines, because the Air Carriers Access Act requires airlines to accept most ESAs with proper documentation. the ADA does not apply to emotional support animals, so it's pretty much up to the business whether to accept them or not, and under what circumstances.

Personally I think if you're going to pass off your pet as a service animal to get it into the park, why not pass it off as a service animal at the resort and get out of paying the pet fees? You're not restricted to certain resorts with a service animal either. So I think the dogs in the park and the new pet policy in certain resorts are probably not related.

also remains to be seen whether or not there is actually a sudden and drastic increase in the numbers of dogs in the parks. There are a lot more people in the parks now, and more of them may want to bring in a dog they are claiming as a service or emotional support animal (whether it is or not). Not sure how the previous poster knows that WDW isn't asking the questions, either. It's entirely possible they are asking the questions and the owners are answering them in a manner that will allow their dogs entry to the park. Unless you've seen them just waving dogs through the gates.

Last edited:

If you're in the US, you can't ask this by law. No proof of training or certification is required for service animals. It probably can't be, either, because the law allows for persons to train their own service animals.
On a military reservation and in a federal complex we can ask them, in the long winded law they made exceptions for these as well as potentially dangerous area an example being the operational areas of nuclear plants.

Agreed & for all the ppl freaking out, hate to tell them that there are a whole host of nasty things that I’ve seen take place on tables in WDW. When I sit down to eat anywhere in WDW I assume it’s filthy & limit my contact & my food’s contact with the surfaces. I have never been made sick by any animal; however, I’ve gotten very sick almost every time I go to WDW from germs spread from other ppl. It’s against the rules & should be enforced, but so should a lot of stuff.

From what I observed, large numbers of dog owners are bringing their dog into the theme parks. Too many trips to count, over many years, and it's only on the most recent trip that I saw any real dogs in the theme parks. This time I saw many dogs in each park.

Many? We were there after this new policy went into place - 9 days and saw zero dogs in the park. Saw some waiting for bus at Polynesian (in little buggies), but none at the parks.

Last edited:
Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Once the new pet policy rolled out, there was a sudden and drastic increase in the number of dogs being brought into the theme parks. So whether or not we like what is happening, we seem to agree at least that it is happening. Disney is legally allowed to ask: Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and What task is the dog trained to perform? But they have not been asking either of these questions.
I’m interested to see what I think when we go in Feb. On our last 2 trips we have seen an influx in dogs in the parks before the new policy. It doesn’t make sense that more ppl would bring pets to the parks b/c of the policy. If they’re going to lie & say their service dogs wdw does not need to be pet friendly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter