How's the dog thing going?

A lot of people do opt to use vests for their service dogs, but it is not required

In my experience, people with Real Service Dogs do use their vests so they aren't confused with people with FAKE service dogs (aka: pets ). FYI: "Emotional support" dogs are allowed in only two places that regular pets are not 1)residences and 2)airlines. That's it by law. No restaurants, no Theme Parks, etc. They are not Service dogs.

Another thing the public should be aware of while we are dealing with the FAKE Service dogs at Disney, is that while Disney is limited to two questions about those dogs, the other Guests are not! If you think you're looking at a Fake, as a Guest you CAN ask as many questions about those dogs as you wish. Report the FAKES or you will see more of them every visit.

In my experience, people with Real Service Dogs do use their vests so they aren't confused with people with FAKE service dogs (aka: pets ). FYI: "Emotional support" dogs are allowed in only two places that regular pets are not 1)residences and 2)airlines. That's it by law. No restaurants, no Theme Parks, etc. They are not Service dogs.

Another thing the public should be aware of while we are dealing with the FAKE Service dogs at Disney, is that while Disney is limited to two questions about those dogs, the other Guests are not! If you think you're looking at a Fake, as a Guest you CAN ask as many questions about those dogs as you wish. Report the FAKES or you will see more of them every visit.

I agree with you, they generally do wear vests - helps ensure the public doesn't distract them. But they're not required to.

My trip with my DD is a year away, but we are staying at POR where dogs are now allowed. I am "on the fence" about this. Part of me doesn't want dogs there, because of those who don't control their dogs. I don't mind so much seeing the dogs, but I don't want to hear them. Especially those who bark non-stop and their owner won't make them be quiet. I wouldn't like seeing one sitting in a chair at a table in a restaurant/food court either. I'm kind of hoping this "trial run" doesn't go well and they have too many complaints so they don't continue letting dogs stay at the resorts. I know, of course, true service dogs can be anywhere but so many people abuse the system and it's just getting worse and worse. :(

As long as the dog is behaving I really don't care if it is a real or fake service dog. If the dog isn't behaving the owner and dog can be asked to leave regardless of whether or not it is a service dog. I like seeing dogs places, some of my favorite places at home are dog friendly and seeing dogs in the parks doesn't really effect me in any way.

Part of the problem with the above is that even in the known instances of dogs misbehaving at WDW, apparently the dog and owner have not been asked to leave. An example reported in the sticky thread is the dog that was unleashed at YC during the fireworks and was running around loose, barking, among guests.

Emotional support dogs are service dogs and the laws should be changed to help those who have such dogs. Think about those who suffer rom PTSD. Emotional support dogs give so much to those that suffer from this disorder. Please could everyone stop calling emotional support dogs “fake”. Just because the laws don’t reflect how real they truly are shouldn’t mean we get to discredit their service to so many who need and rely on them everyday.

Emotional support dogs are service dogs and the laws should be changed to help those who have such dogs. Think about those who suffer rom PTSD. Emotional support dogs give so much to those that suffer from this disorder. Please could everyone stop calling emotional support dogs “fake”. Just because the laws don’t reflect how real they truly are shouldn’t mean we get to discredit their service to so many who need and rely on them everyday.

By definition, Emotional Support Dogs are not service dogs because they do not perform a task. Their mere calming presence is not a task. There are service dogs trained to help PTSD sufferers by alerting or taking certain actions and those PTSD dogs enjoy all of the rights of service dogs.

I believe that the laws will not change to include ESAs, partially because it is so easy to game the system. ESAs do not have to be trained in any way and there are no standards (even service dogs do not have to be formally trained but usually are). There are too many doctors out there who are willing to provide letters stating that a person needs an ESA even when they don't really need one. Yes, that hurts the people who truly benefit from having an ESA with them but I see no solution.

If you think there is abuse now and fake service dogs now, can you imagine if ESAs, they way they are currently defined, get the same access?

I hope the dogs at resorts & parks don't get out of control. People will take advantage of it & abuse the policy because unfortunately there are just certain people like that.

How far away are we from dogs being tied up to something while the owner rides big thunder?

Folks if you don't like it or if you see something, complain. It's the only way Disney will get the message.

A59C51F1-B0D4-4DB4-BD75-29C8CEDFF1C7.jpeg
By definition, Emotional Support Dogs are not service dogs because they do not perform a task. Their mere calming presence is not a task. There are service dogs trained to help PTSD sufferers by alerting or taking certain actions and those PTSD dogs enjoy all of the rights of service dogs.

I believe that the laws will not change to include ESAs, partially because it is so easy to game the system. ESAs do not have to be trained in any way and there are no standards (even service dogs do not have to be formally trained but usually are). There are too many doctors out there who are willing to provide letters stating that a person needs an ESA even when they don't really need one. Yes, that hurts the people who truly benefit from having an ESA with them but I see no solution.

If you think there is abuse now and fake service dogs now, can you imagine if ESAs, they way they are currently defined, get the same access?

I'm only joking with the following scenario, but with how many people feel this heightened sense of entitlement and try to game the system anyway they can, I can see the following happening soon: "Yes, I am bringing a multitude of ESAs, because I am allergic to dogs and therefore have turned to other species for comfort. In no particular order, I will be housing said animals either in my stroller or backpack - Boa constrictor, turtle, skunk (scent glands removed, no worries), caimans (Disney won't have a problem with a mini alligator on property will they?) and a miniature pot-bellied pig. Named stinky."

It is what it is with the dogs now but I work in a federal building and if you try to walk in with a dog that is NOT tagged as a service animal you will be stopped by the federal police and asked for your paperwork and if you don't have it they will ask you to leave. I have no problem with service animals the ones in my building daily are highly trained professional animals. I won't even pet the one with our eye challenged associate without his permission and I have never seen one of the animals where I work bark,run around or even get excited.

I went in late October - early November. Originally I was booked at POR, but when the new pet-friendly policy was announced very shortly before my trip, I asked to change to any non-pet-friendly resort. All the other WDW resorts were sold out, so I ended up having to switch to an offsite hotel. On all my previous trips combined, I recall seeing a grand total of one service dog and no pet dogs at Disney World. But on this trip, on most of my theme park days I saw several dogs in the theme park. A small percentage of them appeared possibly to be actual service dogs. Most of the other dogs were smaller breeds (poodles, chihuahuas, etc.) and did not appear to be performing any obvious service. I understand that anyone can decide that any dog is their "emotional support dog", and anyone can buy a service vest for their dog (regardless of whether the dog was trained to perform a service). Although Disney is legally allowed to ask the owner, "What service is the dog trained to perform?" they have not actually been asking this when people bring their dog into the parks, so it's been a free-for-all, and with no process to verify service dog status, apparently all dogs are being allowed in. I also saw dogs at bus stops and saw one getting off the monorail at the Grand Floridian, even though that's not one of the dog-friendly resorts. I don't know if that specific dog was actually a service dog, but overall, there has been an astonishing sudden increase in the number of "service dogs" in the theme parks. I agree with @china mom that the new dog policies are being abused, and I echo everything she said above.

I agree with everything you said, Daisy Duck. We had reservations at our "home" resort of PORfor Feb/March. When we found out about this "trial", we went through a lot of hoops to switch resorts. We are now, because of this new policy, staying at POFQ. I just wonder if all the new reburbs at other resorts will open the doors to having pets at all the resorts in the future? Something to think about. I just wish the CM's would handle occurences regarding dogs as they have said they would.
A friend of ours just got back from POR in November. They requested a non dog room, and when they arrived, they were assigned bldg. 24!!!!! That is supposed to be a dog bldg. They were put in a bldg. in the 30's. One morning, they were leaving their room, and person was allowing their dog to relieve itself right in front of their room. They immediately went to the front desk and asked why a dog was put in their nondog room? The answer? Well, the person booked online, and apparently wanted that bldg. So, instead of saying per policy, We will put you in bldg. 24 which is our designated dog bldg., they put them where they wanted! I guess the requests of other guests don't count. That was just one incident.
We will be in POFQ in Mar/Feb, and hope we don't see dogs being walked up to our non dog friendly resort! The problem is no one is being responsible to uphold the rules and regulations at all. This is just the start of this trial. I shudder to think what it will be like later on when the word gets out and the resorts haven't been booked months in advance? Just my opinion, so no flaming please.
We stayed at a very nice Universal resort that allowed some dogs. They have strict policies, and we never heard or saw a dog or their "accidents" while there. It can be done, but only if the CM's enforce their "loose" rules.

Mexi: I couldn't get your quote to paste but this is exactly what I said. A service dog does a task. An Emotional Support Animal does not. The idea is that and ESA relieves anxiety by its mere presence. That is not a task so it does not fall under the definition of service animal. A psychiatric service dog IS a service dog and performs specific tasks.

I guess I'm in the minority, I don't have an issue with pet friendly hotels at Disney. I've had to endure much worse behavior from certain people's children in the past.

Ditto. And the fact that people have always had service dogs at the resorts gets brushed off.:rolleyes: No Disney resort has ever been dog free. And those dogs also relieve themselves outside, which people post as a huge offense. They were never made to go to a specific area.

I agree if dogs are misbehaving that the owners should be responsible. But I think the same should happen to parents too. I've seen horrible behavior by kids at the resorts and park and parents ignoring it. Disney needs to step in then too, just as they should if a dog is misbehaving.

It is what it is with the dogs now but I work in a federal building and if you try to walk in with a dog that is NOT tagged as a service animal you will be stopped by the federal police and asked for your paperwork and if you don't have it they will ask you to leave. I have no problem with service animals the ones in my building daily are highly trained professional animals. I won't even pet the one with our eye challenged associate without his permission and I have never seen one of the animals where I work bark,run around or even get excited.

That's interesting - I work in a public institution and we were specifically instructed that we cannot do this. We can only ask the two questions (same as Disney).

That's interesting - I work in a public institution and we were specifically instructed that we cannot do this. We can only ask the two questions (same as Disney).
When they wrote the law they made 2 exceptions that almost no one mentions. Military reservations and federal complexes may require proof.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter