HURRICANE INFORMATION (AUGUST 15, 2004): All parks except TL are OPEN

We just returned today. We were supposed to fly back on Saturday. Spirit via the 800 number was also clueless as to what was occuring at MCO.

However we were able to rebook our original saturday 11:45 flight for a 2:45 flight on MOnday which gave us one more day at MK on Sunday!! WOO HOO.

When we checked in today *much less confusion at the airport.

We were waiting for our checked bags to go thru security and a TSA worker came over and was talking to us. DH asked about Saturday. He told us that the airport was running on generators on Saturday and the radar was blown off the tower and was found by I-4. that's why no plans were taking off. They had to get a crane to replace what was lost in the hurricane.

My In-Laws weren't so patient and didn't want to wait. They rented a car and drove home to Detroit. They got home last night at midnight. (that's about the time I got back to the resort using Disney Transportation after Wishes)

Originally posted by NotUrsula
According to the announcement that was up on the SWA website Saturday (8/14, around noon CT), they had tried to open the gates, but had to give up because of the volume of water coming through the missing roof areas. The announcement also said that passengers on flights through Tuesday could call and make changes without penalty.

If someone on the phone after that time told you flights were leaving, you just lucked into someone who didn't bother to really look; b/c the announcement that they would not be flying was clearly posted on the public page; in nice bold print. I actually posted it on this thread at about 3:45 CT.

All airlines have "stock excuses" that front-line employees use when they don't know what is delaying a flight; apparently they think it's bad karma to just admit not knowing what is wrong. I think that for a lot of employees, the pressure of that long line of people bearing down on you makes it seem like taking the time to look for an answer would make passengers even more annoyed. Personally, I'd prefer "I don't know, but I'm going to take the time right now to try to find out."

You are so right, it sounds like different info was being given to different people. I do still think, however, I didn't "luck into someone", as I called 4 or 5 times that day, with 2 or 3 of those calls after 12:00 CST. The actual SWA agent who annouced that no flights would be leaving that day, at all, made the announcement at 2:45 EST. She very specifically stated that this decision had "just been made in the last 5 minutes".

Additionally, the man next to my husband was yelling/arguing/fighting to get a refund for his flights. There was no mention at all of refunds being given graciously.

I am not trying to say that SWA is all bad, or that I'll never fly them again, or that they are the worst company on earth, because they're not and I will. I am just saying that I didn't just get one uninformed agent, or that just one mistake was made. They were obviously unable to handle all of the difficulties, and made things alot worse for many people by how they handled it. Hopefully, they'll learn from their mistakes for the next time something like this happens.

Julia

For those going to DW after Charley, I just got back yesterday and here is some info.There is some damage in DW but NOT Extreme! Alot of up rooted trees ,Sign damage . Most resorts look good and parks were open on Saturday(Except AK). Went to AK on Sunday and there were Trees down everywhere,Disney wont tell you if animals were hurt ,but most of the animals were out and about. I did see one Crane bird on top of a Kiosk stand ,so he was far from where he should be.Kali Rapids River ride was closed on this day. Typhoon lagoon was also closed ,I guest they had alot of work cleaning the large pool area.I also had alot of misinformation on what was open and closed in Downtown Disney.They had told us DTD was Closed and will open later in the day. But when I called some restaurants in DTD , they said there were ALL open. I took a cab to DTD ,cuz buses were not running till late afternoon 4pm.(they did not have enough bus drivers). Everything in DTD was open but Pooh 's Corner. Overall I think Disney did well to ensure Safety for its guests and there Property. on Friday they were open from 8am to 1pm for Disney Resort guests only. We got free entry for that day , so I have an extra Day on my Park Hopper Pass:p They secured the DW very well , from signs to chairs . Cindy's castle is fine ! According to Castmembers Disney would have been fine if they lost Power. They said they have enough generating power for the aprks and resorts. Not sure if true but aleast we didnt have to experience it. We felt considering the extent of the storm ,we did not feel any less of the Disney Magic for the rest of our vacation.:wave2:

Thanks for the latest update jedimaster. I know it will ease the minds of those currently leaving for their vacations. I am glad things are getting back to normal so the money will start generating around there again.

Originally posted by JediMaster
For those going to DW after Charley, I just got back yesterday and here is some info.There is some damage in DW but NOT Extreme! Alot of up rooted trees ,Sign damage . Most resorts look good and parks were open on Saturday(Except AK).

Overall I think Disney did well to ensure Safety for its guests and there Property. on Friday they were open from 8am to 1pm for Disney Resort guests only. We got free entry for that day , so I have an extra Day on my Park Hopper Pass:p

They secured the DW very well , from signs to chairs . We felt considering the extent of the storm ,we did not feel any less of the Disney Magic for the rest of our vacation.:wave2:

I also felt Disney was doing alot to prepare for the storm; in fact, preparations were going on TH night, and FRI while guests were at the park. CM's were in good spirits, joking with guests, and so on.

Friday was actually open to anyone, whether on or off site, and again, anyone, on or off site, received early admission at 8am. They chose 1pm as a closing time because authorities were asking everyone to be off the roads by 3. Everyone got the day back on hopper passes, and the note passed out indicated that those with other types of admission (ie ultimate park hoppers) could talk to guest services about a credit.

Everyone we met at the park (guests) were in good spirits.....and appreciative Disneyworld opened at all on FRI.

We rod Buzz about 5 times in a row between 12:00-1:00!!

Julia

Originally posted by SplshMtn99
many companies here in MA have refused to insure properties here on Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket. Recently, one of the largest remaining compainies writing insurance there stopped.

As they should have. The underwriting risks there stink.

In fact, nowhere in the Constitution is it stated that people have the right to demand insurance for properties built on risky seashore sites. And many -- including myself -- feel the government (e.g. TAXPAYERS) has no business providing subsidies to those who insist on building in such areas.

If the airline gives out totally wrong information making me decide to come to the airport and find the plane severely delayed or cancelled, I would be tempted to write a letter asking for compensation.

Meanwhile the airline reserves the right to bump first the people who did not arrive at the scheduled time despite any flight delays.

If you had decided you wanted a refund rather than wait for the delayed flight, I believe the airline should have given that to you. It is possible that the computers and other methods for processing the refund were not running in which case I think you can get away with haveing a gate Supervisor sign a statement that you had asked for a refund and then go on to serving other customers. Meanwhile you can go away and apply for that refund later at your hometown airport and it would not be a no-show.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Fridge won't restart after power failure? Probably not damage from lightning or power surge. Rather it may be in the middle of a defrost cycle which comes around every several hours or so. Look for a screwdriver adjustment near or under the temperature control knob and gently turn it. Feel free to call the manufacturer if you have questions.

I enjoy my vacations and meals a whole lot more if I share what I have with others also. Is hard to digest my food if I know that someone else has nothing to eat. JMO I am quite willing to eat a meal or two at counter service so that I have money to tip the mousekeeper or help out my local, well run, food bank or such. I grew up poor and remember those days well. Back when I was having to help support my mom and sisters I did not have money to donate to other causes. Everyone does what they can, mostly

great post there, i agree with you completely! when i was appealing my SSDI ruling and Dh was laid off at the same time, we didn't have much to give but we did what we could! ITA with you about enjoying trips/meals more when you share what you can.

Even if someone can only contribute a dollar those really add up and it's wonderful when everyone does what they can and helps from the heart!

on another note, i got an e mail from my concierge buddy at gf. she said she and her home came through the storm okay, a big mess, lots of trees down and when she wrote 2 days ago they didn't have power or water still at her house, but she hoped things would be better soon. i'm thankful that she is okay!

geek

I think that Disney is to be commended for the information that they gave out and the way that the storm was handled. I felt as if we had accurate infomation, were updated by our hotel (AKL)frequently and they did their best to keep us safe and our stay magical. We couldn't believe that they let us into the parks for free on Friday, and that the AKL provided food for us Friday night. It was the best free box lunch in the world.
Our hearts go out to those affected by Charley and we keep them in our prayers.
By Monday, everything seemed to be operating fairly smoothly, but there were so many downed trees and signs. On the way to the airport on Tuesday, we saw so many homes that had sustained significant damage. We donated our leftover (unopened) nonperishables to a food drive that one of the radio stations was having.

Originally posted by tmli
I have a question? Does insurance cover any of this damage? My policy does not cover acts of God so I assume the answer is no....however I have always wondered if people living in areas like Florida have the option of buying "hurricane" insurance.

Second question, this may be a dumb one. How do people financially rebuild after something like this? The Red Cross is helping now with things like shelter and supplies, is part of their money also given to families to rebuild and replace things lost. Or is this where Gov't aid comes in.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I have never had the opportunity to ask them before to people who may know the answers.

I live in NE Florida and I can explain some of the current homeowner's insurance situation; ours changed two months ago with the last renewal.

We have a 'Hurricane Premium' that was just increased and is now close to being a 50% premium increase over the usual amount. They just imposed a new deductible for Hurricane damage that is 2% of my covered amount. We are not in a mandatory flood zone so we are not required to have it. We can buy it through our regular insurance company as a separate policy. If you do buy it, it has a 30 day waiting period before it is effective.

My insurance is with Allstate of Florida and I have a single family brick house with a partial second story made of wood.

If you have a manufactured home ( a mobile home) it must be secured with Hurricane Straps that tie it into the ground. Not sure, but I think the minimum is like six feet under the ground, and probably dictated by local building codes.

My area was fortunate and we had very little effect from the storms of the last couple weeks, and we are thankful. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those that were effected.

The tv is just now showing video of some people that have finally been allowed to go into their homes and neighborhoods, it looks devasting.

hth

Originally posted by rockomomma

We were waiting for our checked bags to go thru security and a TSA worker came over and was talking to us. DH asked about Saturday. He told us that the airport was running on generators on Saturday and the radar was blown off the tower and was found by I-4. that's why no plans were taking off. They had to get a crane to replace what was lost in the hurricane.

I just had to post on this since I work for the FAA in the control tower at Orlando Int'l. I cannot comment on the generator situation at the terminal- however, the tower had commercial power on Saturday. I do know though, for a FACT, that the radar did not get blown off the tower. In fact the radar on top of the tower is an ASDX which is a ground radar. The ASR-9 which is the radar that the controllers use to bring in planes is located about 2 miles from the tower. It sustained no damage except for 2 bent lightning rods. The most extensive equipment damage we had was on RWY 17R/35L where some of the approach lights poles were blown over. (I was out there working on them all last week--HOT). I hope that helps calm any nerves that might still be out there about flying into our beautiful airport!

As far as my personal house- we were lucky. The storm passed right over us. But we only have about 12 trees down. Luckily they missed the house- one took out the fence and one was in the pool. We had power restored on Monday. It wasn't too bad except for our baby being grouchy and hot (she's 4 months old). At least we will have stories to tell her about her first hurricane.

We was in the airport Saturday and it was a partial power until about 6 or 7PM then suddenly the lights got bright and it was normal looking again. Except the tiles falling on the floor and water ont he rug, and glass broen with roof particale against the glass. I also noted one companion bathroom I used to didnt have airconditioner but the regular ones did. This was about 2pm when I used it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter