HURRICANE INFORMATION (AUGUST 15, 2004): All parks except TL are OPEN

daisylove

<font color=purple>Met a DISboard Celebrity!<br><f
As of 2:00pm Charlie is now a hurricane with the projected path of going right through central Florida by/on Friday.

They say this is a fast moving storm that may not have a lot of rainfall associated with it.

I think WDW was closed for one other hurricane but I can't remember and I do not know what they will do for this one.
No offense to anyone at all but I hope it does somewhere else and not down here in So Fla. I lived through Andrew. (In hospital for 8 days after) and it was a much stronger storm but I am scared to death of them. And where we live near the water we have to leave our belongings and house and evacuate which is scary and weird enough for a 5 year old but how to explain where our house and all her toys went is not something I want to do. Knock on wood. Pixie dust to everyone who will be affected by Charlie.::yes::

yikes we fly in on friday hope the weater holds out for our 2 weeks
Paulh

I just saw on the news that Charlie is headed more toward the gulf coast and panhandle of Florida rather than central Florida.
I guess the weather reports change pretty frequently!

No Allicat. We have not one but 2 storms hitting us this week. Bonnie is hitting panhandle tomorrow I think and Charlie by Friday over central fla. The joys of living in FLA...

By the way the good news is that after a Hurrican yo can have perfect blue skies the next day. After it is not so much lingering rain but what if any damage, downed power lines etc that you deal with. WDW should be great by sat or sun morning depending when Charlie goes through.

My husband and I flew to WDW back in Oct 99 during a storm. Can't remember if it was a tropical storm or hurricane but it was dark, rainy and windy. When waking up the next morning you would never have known how terrible the weather was the day before.

The sky was so blue and not a cloud in the sky.

Good luck to all in the path of both storms. Pixie dust to everyone!

Missy

I was at Disney World Sept. 1999 when Hurricane Floyd was an issue (the first time DW closed). It was an interesting week.

Hey Missy1961- I was there also during the Hurricane in Sept. 1999. The first time ever they closed the parks. They gave us credit on our tickets though

The 5:00 advisory has charlie still projected for central fla and possibly stregthening after it comes over cuba. woo hoo:(

For those of you who dont know the national hurrican center has advisories at 5 and 11. these are the only real updates to the storm is when the NHC had advisories. Looks like tomorrow afternoon should tell us a lot.

Has anyone called disney and asked what they will do?

Ok, I'm already a nervous wreck as it is trying to get last minute details taken care of. This is our first trip to WDW, and now there's a concern about hurricane Charley. I'm just worried about our flight being cancelled, although Delta told me there shouldn't be a problem, I'm still worried.

Any thoughts from those of you who've been to Florida during hurricane season? Anyone else leaving in the next few days?

Im leaving Friday - I called my airline and they said that if the storm is going to hit FLA they will cancell my flight too. I am packing tonight- worst case scenario I leave tomorrow night and drive! I know ill drive through the storm but once I get to FLA - I know that the storms will be in the past and ill have a blast.

There will be another update on the National Hurricane Centers website at 11pm. There is a member who lives there who seems very knowledgeable in this area. The link to that post is below

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=623418

I am also leaving in the morning our flight is at 8:30 from newark.Saying prayers tonight that we will get out. Bonnie and Charlie go away.:mad:

We're flying in Sunday a.m. and it's too early to tell how the airlines will be able to handle things. Suspect that they won't leave planes on the ground in FL just before the storm hits, and will move them out of the area , so as not to get planes damaged. So for many of us it may depend on how long it takes them to get planes to where they're supposed to be. If the current track/timing doesn't change think people going on Monday should be fine. But those of in the Fri-Sat-Sun may be in for a travel adventure!
Good luck to those (residents and vacationers) who stay thru it. We've been thru some Category 1 storms and they aren't fun. At least Charley seems to be moving quickly....

Beth

I'm not leaving any time soon but I wanted to wish everyone who is leaving lots of luck! Prayers and pixie dust to you!!

T1130 - I wonder if that time is good for you

You might be able to get in there before the storm hits the coast. IT says that Friday PM on all the projected paths I see! Good Luck to all! If anyone else hears more information - use this thread!

My fear is that if my flight gets cancelled then I will not be able to get another flight for like 2 days - many other people will be traveling this weekend!

I'm in Orlando now. From what they're saying Friday afternoon to evening is when things will get bad around here. If you're flying in Friday morning you might make it in time....

No word yet on whether they will close the parks for the day. I don't think we'll know how bad it will be here until tomorrow night.

Good luck to everyone heading down...

I will be driving down on Friday morning, we are leaving at 9:00 am and I am hoping to be in Georgia by 9:00 pm. Hopefully we will not hit too much rain. We are planning on stopping for the night in Georgia. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter