HURRICANE INFORMATION (AUGUST 15, 2004): All parks except TL are OPEN

OMG!!! I've been so busy packing that I haven't even heard about this!! We are leaving tomorrow night to drive down and will be there in Orlando about noon on Friday.

Now I'm a nervous wreck!!

If you are driving and you get there by noon - it seems like your best bet. The Weather Channel is saying how Bonnie is not very strong and is even weakening. If you can get into FLA by noon you probably will be checked in before Charlie hits. That is what I might do if Charlie stays on course!

Hello All
Do they close the parks?
When was the last time they closed because of weather?
Does anybody know if they credit you for this?
Thanks
Ed

They would close the parks if it hit Orlando. Dont know when the last time was. According to all reports - by Saturday Afternoon - Orlando will be FLA as always - hot and sunny! They would not be closed for long it they were at all closed!

We're flying from Long Island Sunday morning. I know the storm will be over in FL, but I'm a little concerned about how it will affect take off here that day.:worried:

Well, we were leaving in the next 3 days, 6:10 Friday evening to be exact, but it appears Charley will be wreaking havoc over a large part of Florida by then, I seriously doubt our flight out of Washington DC will get out anytime Friday night, or even Saturday morning. With a return flight on Tuesday, just don't sound worth it now. Damn Charley!!

I hope that everyone get there safe and sound. Hurricanes are not fun I should know I lived through ANDREW!!!! in south florida. Anyways GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!:flower1: Will be watching the weather channel.

betty

My sister and her boys are scheduled to leave at 7 PM Friday/ arriving Orlando at 9:30 !! We're watching the storm very closely - if it's still on this course tomorrow morning, they will try and reschedule for a later day - it's their first big vacation in so many years and they've been planning for almost a year now ! Charley go away !!!:mad:

We are scheduled to leave Reno this Friday, but I have already decided to change to either Saturday or Sunday. Airline said it would be free to change the dates the first time around, but there would be a charge for a second change. So I am waiting until tomorrow night to see if we want to go on Saturday or Sunday. We were going to stay for 14 days anyway, so 1-2 days less is not a big deal, will just have to change the rental car and see if we can get a refund for the hotel which is pre-paid.

SHEESH... if it wasn't for bad luck I would not have any luck at all!

Good luck to anyone travelling.

Weather channel is doing a good job on this topic....

PAULA

I was in Hurr Floyd when it closed WDW in 99 . and I was in Hurr Gabby when it hit in 2001 (couple days after 9/11, which we were at WDW for too) and we were in another tropical storm in 2003. so.......we have a little experience with this.

The only day WDW closed due to a hurricane or any other reason other than 9/11....was Floyd. Floyd was going to directly go over the top of Orlando. In the end it weakened and Orlando was not hit that bad.
Most Floridians go to Orlando when they evacuate from other areas.
Be prepared for LOTS !!!! of rain before, during, and after.

I think everyone will be fine, think positive. The biggest factor will be travel. If possible, get there ahead of the storms or make your plans for after. Even if the panhandle is affected this will affect travel.
Take ponchos, extra shoes/socks, and some kind of shoe that is waterproof (like teva sandals). Be prepared. Good Luck !!!:smooth: :umbrella:

I just watched the news and this is soooo not good. We were planning on being in Orlando around noon on Friday. Our check in isn't until 4PM. We could leave later but then we run the risk of driving in an unfamiliar city in the rain AND in the dark.

I've never been around a hurricane and this scares me to death. We had planned to go to MK on Saturday - guess that's out. Should we just try to get to Orlando before the storm hits and then wait it out in the car (if we can't do early check in)? I know that sounds like a stupid idea.....but geesh.....I've done all this planning for months and now a dang hurricane comes along....lol

Any suggestions from some experts?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Am scheduled to leave Nashville late tomorrow night (Thurs) and drive to Orlando. Was planning on being there about noon. Still coming but terrified.

I'm assuming there will be a traffic nightmare in Orlando from all the locals driving inward. We want to get there before dark so we are not driving around in the rainy night in a strange city. Our check in isn't until 4PM.

I am so stressed right now. My brain feels like a yo yo. :yo-yo:

The interesting thing about Floyd is that it never actually "hit" Florida at all, in spite of all the early predictions it was taking dead aim at WDW. Landfall was somewhere up in NC, I believe.
Of course the effects were felt, etc, but as someone said in another post about Bonnie and Charlie--they really don't know where these things will actually go until they are almost on top of you. So it's best to take no chances and be prepared.
I hope that any bad effects in Florida will be short-lived and no ones trip will be unduly disrupted.

HauntedMansionFreak, if I were you, I'd try to get there earlier than noon. Why wait in your car? You can probably find things to occupy you around the resort until your check in time (if your room isn't ready when you arrive). You shouldn't be driving around in a hurricane. I grew up about a mile from the ocean in the hamptons on Long Island and have lived through some pretty intense hurricanes. No need to panic as long as you heed the warnings, stay inside, and don't attempt to drive around in one!

leave sunday morning hope we get out but will play it by ear. good luck to all be safe see you at the parks:D

We are scheduled to leave Sunday morning at 7:00. Last year our trip to Orlando was delayed two days due to the blackout that hit the northeast :( . It just wouldn't be fair for this to happen two years in a row.

I like the others living in Florida have been through this before. I doubt Disney will close. Most likely Orlando will just get lots and perhaps lots of rain. For those of you flying in or out of Flroida I do think it will affect the air line flights GREATLY. That could be a real hassel and you may want to check with your airline.

Disney handles this sort of thing well.

One last thing - as others have said many Floridians on the west coast will go to the Orlando area when the storm comes. So the place actually may be busier than usual as schools on the west coast may also close on Friday.

Flying down Saturday morning from NY for our first ever trip to WDW. From the looks of it Friday seems to be the worst day. Just keeping positive thoughts. :D

Joe Mouse

My parents were at WDW just before Floyd hit. I had been watching the news and told them to get the heck out of there since it was a big storm. Thankfully they heeded my warning, left really early, and headed home to Hiton Head. They picked up a few things and the cats, and headed to my place in the middle of SC. Good thing they got an early start as it took some coastal communities over 24 hours to go 100-150 miles inland! We felt the effects here, but it really pounded NC's coast. Right now we are awaiting the remanats of Bonnie (supposed to pass right by us around midnight), and then Charley. We can use the rain, but not all at once!

alison

As of this morning it looks like Charley will come ashore around Tampa and cross across FL, then make its way up to SC, etc. Of course, anything can change, so keep an eye on it. On the news, it was reported that several airlines are allowing people to change their flights in/out of FL with no penalties to avoid the madness. You might want to look into it. I believe they said American, Jet Blue, Independance and a few others. Thankfully this is a fast moving storm and should be out of there quickly. They it may become a category 3 by the time it hits though. Only time will tell!

alison

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter